Gotta be Howard or a S in round 1

This is something that the Bills Wire Slack group has been talking about for a while now.

I'm on the No side of OJ in the first (or any TE for that matter). Rob is much more adamant on him as an elite prospect - http://billswire.usatoday.com/2017/03/20/2017-nfl-draft-4-reasons-buffalo-bills-take-oj-howard/

In a really deep TE class and with Clay already under a hefty contract, I can't bring myself to be a fan of it. 1st round TE's over the past decade don't have a great success rate. Even the best TE prospect in that time was a 2nd rounder.

With safety, it's kinda the same deal. Incredibly deep class so is it really bang for your buck to take Hooker at 10 if you can get an Evans and Thompson in later rounds? I'm not against Hooker/Adams at 10 but I love others in the class as much as them.

In Blokes I trust.....

Who you got at 10?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the mocks I am reading, which of course will change radically between now and next month, all the QB's all sliding out of the first 10 picks, and thus neither Adams, Hooker, or Lattimore will still be there at #10, as they should all be gone by the 7th pick

What is more likely there, is Foster, a bunch of QB's, Howard, Williams, Corey, and and multiple DB's

That being said I don't care who our Bills pick and what position the player plays, its irrelevant, I just hope he is healthy, can make an impact both this year and the next 4 years beyond, and is a game changing type player, that opposing team have to game plan around

I am also secretly hoping we can find a trading partner and trade down, because I think we have more starting holes than high draft picks, and I'd like to see our team start to acquire more picks than say consistantly trading them away

jc

In one of the deepest DB classes did you really say none are worth a first round pick? Or not worth a tenth overall?

None of them are worth a dime if your team needs help at qb, has the worst receiving corps in the NFL, and has huge holes on the OL. And every team wants to get better in terms of pass rush.

Using our best resources on secondary and rbs is what got us into the mess we are in. Even if we draft a safety or a corner at #10 and he is "good," the team will get worse. If you don't believe me, ask yourself what happened with Gilmore, Whitner, McKelvin, etc.

Using our best resources on secondary and rbs is what got us into the mess we are in. Even if we draft a safety or a corner at #10 and he is "good," the team will get worse. If you don't believe me, ask yourself what happened with Gilmore, Whitner, McKelvin, etc.

Hmmm. That isn't quite causation Bill. Look we know you hate defensive backs.... but actually our team got better with Gilmore.... the other two were just bad picks. Quarterback is clearly the most important position and my personal belief is that they should be seeking to draft one at #10 this year. However, cornerback is a premium position in today's NFL - the best teams all have at least one top corner. Personally I value it higher than any line position with the exception of left tackle and higher than any receiver who you don't believe is a bona fide #1.

Lattimore, in my opinion, is an elite player in this draft. If he is there at #10 and they are not going Quarterback then he should be a serious consideration for this team. There is no lineman worthy of picking at #10 - I am sure you will love Cam Robinson but I have a 2nd round grade on him. I would also take Lattimore over Davis and Williams because I think the talent is just greater, but I don't think Lattimore will still be there.

Edited by GunnerBill

I think I would hate a TE at 10. I don't see how you would get maximum value out of the pick with Clay ahead of him, Sammy needing touches and a run heavy offense.

You aren't drafting just for this year. This could be Clay's last year in Buffalo. It could be Taylor's last year. NE, aka the best team in the NFL for the the last 15 years, routinely drafts TEs high or target them in FA.

Maybe, and this is crazy, we should start doing what good teams do. In the first round, you should draft studs. Howard looks to be a stud that can help in both the pass and run game.

CB or Safety. TE is attractive here but there are others to be had in later rounds. We don't have the luxury to pick a backup TE in round 1.

CB is our biggest need. Wouldnt be surprised to see Gareon, Lattimore, Teez or someone here. SS, WLB & RT are our next biggest needs.

No way we draft WR, RB or TE @ #10.

In Blokes I trust.....

Who you got at 10?

I'm okay with Marshon Lattimore, Marlon Humphrey, Corey Davis, Malik McDowell, Reuben Foster, either of the top safeties. Maybe Jon Allen if his medicals check out okay.

Bigger advocate for the trade-down though. I want as many picks as possible in this class and there's a plethora of late teens / early 20's prospects that I'd love to get my hands on.

Edited by Blokestradamus

I'm okay with Marshon Lattimore, Marlon Humphrey, Corey Davis, Malik McDowell, Reuben Foster, either of the top safeties. Maybe Jon Allen if his medicals check out okay.

Bigger advocate for the trade-down though. I want as many picks as possible in this class and there's a plethora of late teens / early 20's prospects that I'd love to get my hands on.

Interesting that you have McDowell in there. I am a fan as well, he is a ferocious, explosive game wrecker. He is just very raw. I would be happier with McDowell after a little trade down.... if you could slide back 5 or 6 spots and still have a chance at him I'd be very happy to make him the selection.

My list of preference at #10 (if I am starting from the position that Myles Garrett is long gone) is: Deshaun Watson; Marshon Lattimore; Corey Davis; Malik Hooker; Jamal Adams; Mike Williams; Marlon Humphrey; Mitchell Trubisky.

Edited by GunnerBill

Lattimore is not great. I wouldn't touch him at ten.

Can I ask what you don't like about Lattimore? As an OSU fan I am a little bias but I think that he is clearly the #1 CB in the draft (including Conley). His physical skills are off the charts. I know that he has a hamstring issue but I don't see anyone close physically.

I think everyone is looking into letting Gilmore walk ad an automatic that we have to take a CB in the first.

This is the deepest DB class, possibly in history and it will be the ilk of a GM who can find those guys later in the draft.

My philosophy is always, even if the class is stacked you still want the best of the group. However, let the draft come to you.

Well sidney jones is hurt and Lattimore may not fall to us. That being said, again you don't have to jump at the position just because you have a need so to speak.

If Lattimore falls, perfect, if not we don't have to push up a Tabor or Conley in order to sure up the position.

Nice post

Hmmm. That isn't quite causation Bill. Look we know you hate defensive backs.... but actually our team got better with Gilmore.... the other two were just bad picks. Quarterback is clearly the most important position and my personal belief is that they should be seeking to draft one at #10 this year. However, cornerback is a premium position in today's NFL - the best teams all have at least one top corner. Personally I value it higher than any line position with the exception of left tackle and higher than any receiver who you don't believe is a bona fide #1.

Lattimore, in my opinion, is an elite player in this draft. If he is there at #10 and they are not going Quarterback then he should be a serious consideration for this team. There is no lineman worthy of picking at #10 - I am sure you will love Cam Robinson but I have a 2nd round grade on him. I would also take Lattimore over Davis and Williams because I think the talent is just greater, but I don't think Lattimore will still be there.

The focus on defensive backs and running backs has killed this team for many, many years and will probably continue to do so. There is no historical basis to think otherwise.

As for Cam Robinson, he is a gamble. The kid has all the talent that he needs but he has had problems off the field.

He is the kind of kid that could be a 12 year starter and pro bowl player, or he could take the money and screw up. I get the feeling that the team who drafts him will either be elated or screwed.

My guess is that he will drop in the draft to a team that is already good.

The focus on defensive backs and running backs has killed this team for many, many years and will probably continue to do so. There is no historical basis to think otherwise.

I agree wholeheartedly on drafting 1st round running backs. I don't think that is a priority position. I disagree on corners, you just have to get the right one. Gilmore improved our secondary, there is no question about it, and the improved secondary helped an improved defense which helped the team win more games. McKelvin didn't improve them because it wasn't the right pick. There is no way on this earth Marshon Lattimore wouldn't be a significant upgrade on what we have currently. Would he make as big of a difference as a Quarterback? Nope. But if they don't go Quarterback (and keep in mind I think they should) Lattimore if he is on the board (which I doubt he is) would be a slam dunk.

If you would honestly draft Robinson ahead of Lattimore, even allowing for your Crimson Tide love, I tell you you are mad. There isn't a single team in the NFL that would make that pick.

If you would honestly draft Robinson ahead of Lattimore, even allowing for your Crimson Tide love, I tell you you are mad. There isn't a single team in the NFL that would make that pick.

No, as I said above I see him dropping. Now, if he had a personality like Jonathan Allen then yes, I would grab him at #10.

That said, I would prefer trading down than drafting a corner.

Jmo ;)

Edited by Bill from NYC

No, as I said above I see him dropping. Now, if he had a personality like Jonathan Allen then yes, I would grab him at #10.

That said, I would prefer trading down than drafting a corner.

Jmo ;)

Haha. I expect no different from you Bill. How high would you consider Humphrey?

I like Howard, but it's tough to taking a tight end that high.

New England just won the Super Bowl without the best tight end of our era seeing the field much.

If the value is there, I'd prefer more pass rushers or corners. I'm not sure if the value is there for a WR at 10 either...

Edited by TheElectricCompany