Gotta be Howard or a S in round 1

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The more you know about Howard the more you will like about him.

He is by far the best TE in this draft. He played for Alabama. He is 6'-6" and 255 lbs. He is put together. He is a very good receiver, but also a very good blocker.

Making the case for drafting Howard at #10 overall:

I would actually prefer that the Bills seek to trade down in R1 (maybe even multiple times) to obtain additionally picks because they have so many holes, but that would greatly depend upon who they could still get in R1. They have a major hole at CB and have major depth problems all around.

But a guy like Howard doesn't come around very often.

Howard could actually be more valuable than a big WR (like Davis or Williams) because he would be more of a help in the running game. Having Howard and Clay on the field at the same time would NOT ONLY help to bolster the run game, but would ALSO give the offense the opportunity to be much more deceptive and unpredictable. There's a lot to be said for that. I'm surprised that more teams don't take this approach on offense because it is exactly what the Patriots do.....and you have seen the success that they have had with it.

The bottom line is that Howard is a difference-maker and absolutely worthy of the #10 pick overall. He would do wonders for Taylor the Bills' offense.

The Bills would need to weigh that option vs the haul that they might otherwise acquire by trading down in R1 because will certainly coming calling when it's time to select at #10 overall.

Interesting that you have McDowell in there. I am a fan as well, he is a ferocious, explosive game wrecker. He is just very raw. I would be happier with McDowell after a little trade down.... if you could slide back 5 or 6 spots and still have a chance at him I'd be very happy to make him the selection.

My list of preference at #10 (if I am starting from the position that Myles Garrett is long gone) is: Deshaun Watson; Marshon Lattimore; Corey Davis; Malik Hooker; Jamal Adams; Mike Williams; Marlon Humphrey; Mitchell Trubisky.

McDowell is a little bit of a projection. A little like Chris Jones last year - I understand if teams aren't universally high on him but I won't flinch taking him in the 1st. The best version of him is frightening.

Can't get myself on the QB at 10 bandwagon for anyone this year. If they go with Watson, I won't hate it but not someone I have a 1st round grade on. And you know my issues with t'other Clemson player :)

Edited by Blokestradamus

I don't think either S Hooker or Adams will be there when we draft @ 10. If that is the case I would be looking to trade down. I think the QBs will slide and if a team like NO, AZ or Cle want to jump up to our spot to pick the one they want we should trade out.

One of the 3 top offensive skill players Howard, Williams. or Davis will still be there to draft otherwise we can grab an OT or LB which I wouldn't hate as well.

Haha. I expect no different from you Bill. How high would you consider Humphrey?

Humphrey is a very good player who I would put in the second round.

Eddie Jackson is also a very good prospect. VERY good. He is a smart, versatile player who could step in and help a team.

I am high on both of these kids, but not at #10.

PS: The safeties currently on the Crimson Tide (Harrison and Fitzpatrick) might be the best pair to have ever played on a college team at the same time. They both have star potential. Harrison hits like a truck and Fitzpatrick covers as well as almost any corner in the NCAA let alone safety.

Humphrey is a very good player who I would put in the second round.

Eddie Jackson is also a very good prospect. VERY good. He is a smart, versatile player who could step in and help a team.

I am high on both of these kids, but not at #10.

PS: The safeties currently on the Crimson Tide (Harrison and Fitzpatrick) might be the best pair to have ever played on a college team at the same time. They both have star potential. Harrison hits like a truck and Fitzpatrick covers as well as almost any corner in the NCAA let alone safety.

Have you ever seen a DB you would take in the 1st round?

Humphrey is a top 15 player in his draft for me.

I like Eddie Jackson too. Have a 3rd on him with the injury considered.

Edited by GunnerBill

I don't think either S Hooker or Adams will be there when we draft @ 10. If that is the case I would be looking to trade down. I think the QBs will slide and if a team like NO, AZ or Cle want to jump up to our spot to pick the one they want we should trade out.

One of the 3 top offensive skill players Howard, Williams. or Davis will still be there to draft otherwise we can grab an OT or LB which I wouldn't hate as well.

Thinking too many fans here (and the media for that matter) are discounting the very real possibility that Whaley goes QB.
This is a team without a leader, without an identity, without a culture of winning, without a face of the organization, and without a viable franchise QB for the long term future.
Adding to that, you have a GM in his fourth year who missed not drafting either Carr or Prescott. He gets a pass with Carr, but they let another team pick Prescott ahead of them by many accounts. If not for Whaley’s dealing away their fourth, Prescott would have been a Bill. Then he grudgingly brings back Tyrod for the new head coach under a contract that screams “bridge” QB.
This landscape is rife with the prospect of Whaley picking HIS preferred highly ranked QB prospect at #10.

Thinking too many fans here (and the media for that matter) are discounting the very real possibility that Whaley goes QB.
This is a team without a leader, without an identity, without a culture of winning, without a face of the organization, and without a viable franchise QB for the long term future.
Adding to that, you have a GM in his fourth year who missed not drafting either Carr or Prescott. He gets a pass with Carr, but they let another team pick Prescott ahead of them by many accounts. If not for Whaley’s dealing away their fourth, Prescott would have been a Bill. Then he grudgingly brings back Tyrod for the new head coach under a contract that screams “bridge” QB.
This landscape is rife with the prospect of Whaley picking HIS preferred highly ranked QB prospect at #10.

Get ready for Kizer if Whaley is making the pick.

Only in rare circumstances. If a team had a:

1. Franchise QB.

2) Strong, deep OL and DL, including pass rush.

3) Good targets at WR.

Even at that, if my pick was early I would prefer trading down.

The Bills have drafted corners dbs up and down the first round for decades, even before the rule changes.

Since 1992 (25 drafts) the Bills have taken 8 dbs and 4 rbs in round 1. In 2 of those drafts we had no first round pick.

Most of these selections were a complete, whereas we didn't keep them after 1 contract.

The dbs ranged from #8 (Whitner) to #28 (T. Smith)

The RBs ranged from #9 (Spiller) to #23 A. Smith and Magahee).

It isn't working. We are just patching holes and not making the playoffs. It has got to stop at some point.

Humphrey is a top 15 player in his draft for me.

I like Eddie Jackson too. Have a 3rd on him with the injury considered.

Btw GB, I started looking up other teams in terms of first round picks on dbs. since 1993 (again, the Bills have 8).

So far:

NE - 5

Denver - 3

Green Bay - 5

Seattle - 3

Bears - 1

Dallas - 4

Bengals - 5

Saints - 4

Falcons - 5

Edited by Bill from NYC

Btw GB, I started looking up other teams in terms of first round picks on dbs. since 1993 (again, the Bills have 8).

So far:

NE - 5

Denver - 3

Green Bay - 5

And I haven't argued that we haven't drafted too many. I just don't agree with your principle objection to them. If a team takes Gilmore at #10 I am absolutely fine with that. He is a very talented player. If we were lucky enough that Lattimore dropped to #10 this year I'd put that in the same category. Taking Whitner or McKelvin I am not fine with.... they were reaches for average players. Neither was a disaster with for the Bills on the field.... but both were what they were the day we drafted them - average talents. When you waste top 10 picks on average talents you don't win. Especially when you do that patching holes rather than taking shots at finding a franchise Quarterback.

Cornerback in my view is absolutely a priority position, it is as important as wide receiver and comes after Quarterback, pass rusher and left tackle. But that doesn't mean any cornerback in the top 10 is automatically a good pick. You still have to get the talent evaluation right and not reach for need to patch holes. Safety I feel differently about. That is a position I am less keen on using a top 10 pick on..... but you can always make an exception for a potential generational type talent (I feel the same about linebacker but you take Luke Keuchley if he is there).

You never take an inferior player Cam Robinson over Marshon Lattimore for example.... just because 1 is a lineman and the other is a corner.

EDIT: And I will be clear again - If Deshaun Watson is on the board at #10 I believe they should pick him. They need to find a Quarterback and he has a shot at being a good one. I'm less balls to boards for Mitch Trubisky but I think there is some merit in taking the same approach to him if he is there at #10. You will get no argument here that a team with no franchise QB should be prioritising other positions above resolving that.

Edited by GunnerBill

And I haven't argued that we haven't drafted too many. I just don't agree with your principle objection to them. If a team takes Gilmore at #10 I am absolutely fine with that. He is a very talented player. If we were lucky enough that Lattimore dropped to #10 this year I'd put that in the same category. Taking Whitner or McKelvin I am not fine with.... they were reaches for average players. Neither was a disaster with for the Bills on the field.... but both were what they were the day we drafted them - average talents. When you waste top 10 picks on average talents you don't win. Especially when you do that patching holes rather than taking shots at finding a franchise Quarterback.

Cornerback in my view is absolutely a priority position, it is as important as wide receiver and comes after Quarterback, pass rusher and left tackle. But that doesn't mean any cornerback in the top 10 is automatically a good pick. You still have to get the talent evaluation right and not reach for need to patch holes. Safety I feel differently about. That is a position I am less keen on using a top 10 pick on..... but you can always make an exception for a potential generational type talent (I feel the same about linebacker but you take Luke Keuchley if he is there).

You never take an inferior player Cam Robinson over Marshon Lattimore for example.... just because 1 is a lineman and the other is a corner.

EDIT: And I will be clear again - If Deshaun Watson is on the board at #10 I believe they should pick him. They need to find a Quarterback and he has a shot at being a good one. I'm less balls to boards for Mitch Trubisky but I think there is some merit in taking the same approach to him if he is there at #10. You will get no argument here that a team with no franchise QB should be prioritising other positions above resolving that.

I hear ya my friend. Great post.

I differ a bit wrt blockers, but that is what message boards are for. :)

And again, Cam scares me. He was great 2 years ago and there has been little progress. I was watching youtube video of an Alabama Guard recently. I saw a running play (and btw Howard took out a corner with a great block :) ) and for no reason, Cam wrapped his arms around the defender and held him.

If he isn't the hardest worker for Nick Saban, that might not translate well to the pros. He looks as if he is getting by on pure skill and measurables and its a shame because trust me, he has tons of talent, enough to be one of the great NFL blockers.

Edited by Bill from NYC

IMO safety is more important than corner. Both are key spots though. Most of the all-time great defenses I can think of had a very good to great safety.

I like the idea of Howard. Let's have tons of weapons and give our QB the best shot to succeed. Ultimately, unless you have an all-time great defense you aren't going to stop the elite teams from scoring anyway. You need to score 30+ to beat teams like NE. HEAR THAT MATT RYAN, YOU IDIOT?!

Sorry... lol

But let's go load up on offense.