Who was the worst 1st Round Pick the Bills ever made?

With the draft coming up I was thinking about the number of terrible first round picks we have made in the past. A lot of the members here may eclipse my memory of this teams drafting woes as I started following the Bills during the Super Bowl years as a young lad and am sure I missed some disappointing picks in the past. That being said I'd love to know the opinions of this informed board. Here we go...

Worst 1st round pick for me: CJ Spiller

An enormous bust outside of his 1 year with Chan running the show. This was a pick we did not need to make and definitely jumped the gun when making this decision. During this time we had Marshawn Lynch, Fred Jackson and Joique Bell filter through our RB corps. Marshawn was misbehaving and shown the door, then promptly made us look like idiots when the Seahawks surprised everyone beating the Saints while Beast Mode was showered in skittles after an indestructible run. Joique Bell landed with the Lions and became their #1 RB over time, obviously not on the level of Marshawn talent wise but made a significant positive impact on their team. And Fred Jackson who essentially saved our asses when's CJ showed his inability to be a true workhorse back.

CJ Spiller was a huge disappointment and a bad pick when we had a bevy of talent with the team already.

Who's your bugaboo, your oopsies, the player picked in the first that made you throw up in your mouth a bit?

Mods, if this has been discussed then by all means close the thread.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too many to choose from. From Reuben Can't Gant to Booker Moore to Eric Flowers to Mike Williams, the list is long. I hated the Tom Ruud pick when I was a kid.

Edited by K-9

So many to choose from. Whitner over Ngata was the biggest "WTF!?!?!?!" of all time with Maybin over Orakpo coming in 2nd. The one that got me the most was trading back into the 1st for JP Losman after not moving ahead of Pittsburgh for Roethlisberger. That was the one that got to me.

So many to choose from. Whitner over Ngata was the biggest "WTF!?!?!?!" of all time with Maybin over Orakpo coming in 2nd. The one that got me the most was trading back into the 1st for JP Losman after not moving ahead of Pittsburgh for Roethlisberger. That was the one that got to me.

Yuck Losman, million dollar arm.. 10 cent head.

some very billsy moves there, so many to choose from

No way it was C.J. When people do this in baseball, they look at total wins added (WAR). We don't have a clear measure like that in football. But if we did, C.J. clearly was in the positive territory based almost solely on that one excellent season. Now if you want zero value or "sub-replacement level" value (that is, worse than what you would've got from an undrafted free agent/practice squad promotion, etc.), we have many, many excellent choices. On combination of draft position and total lack of productivity, it's hard to argue against Maybin, although some of those mid-70s to mid-80s guys probably come close like Perry Tuttle (yeah, I had to look that one up).

Aaron Mabin - sucker NEVER wanted to be here.

"On August 21, 2009, Maybin agreed to a five-year deal with the Buffalo Bills after being drafted with the 11th pick in the first round.[15] He finished the season with 18 tackles and zero sacks while playing in all 16 regular season games during his 2009 rookie year.

In his second season, Maybin was considered a disappointment. Through six games, he played on only 66 downs, with five tackles and zero sacks.[16] He was deactivated as a healthy-scratch for the team's sixth game at Baltimore.[17]

On August 15, 2011, Maybin was waived by the Bills.[18]"

Edited by cd1

No way it was C.J. When people do this in baseball, they look at total wins added (WAR). We don't have a clear measure like that in football. But if we did, C.J. clearly was in the positive territory based almost solely on that one excellent season. Now if you want zero value or "sub-replacement level" value (that is, worse than what you would've got from an undrafted free agent/practice squad promotion, etc.), we have many, many excellent choices. On combination of draft position and total lack of productivity, it's hard to argue against Maybin, although some of those mid-70s to mid-80s guys probably come close like Perry Tuttle (yeah, I had to look that one up).

Maybin really was a head scratcher.

Worst 1st round pick for me: CJ Spiller

An enormous bust outside of his 1 year with Chan running the show. This was a pick we did not need to make and definitely jumped the gun when making this decision. During this time we had Marshawn Lynch, Fred Jackson and Joique Bell filter through our RB corps.....

fwiw, Doug Whaley was vehemently against the Spiller pick at the time. It was one of the few instances where he and Nix could not even come close to a consensus and kind of got after each other about it.

CJ Spiller wasn't even close to the biggest bust. He scored touchdowns, had some big runs, and flashed big potential.

Maybin and McCargo weren't even good enough to be on the field, ever. Maybin had zero career sacks with the Bills and was so tiny the other team just ran at him every time he was on the field.

Mike Williams was the 4th OVERALL pick and couldnt even hold down a starting guard role. Probably have to go with him just because he was such a high pick.

Losman and Manuel set us back, but at least they could hold down a backup job. Honorable mention goes to Erick Flowers and Reuben Grant. That's just recent guys.

There have been at least 6 (debatably more) first round picks since the start of the drought that were worse than CJ Spiller:

1. Mike Williams
  2. McGahee
  3. Losman
  4. McCargo
  5. Maybin
  6. Manuel

i saw this.. pretty much is how would answer the question... just plug in tom ruud for mcGahee