The fastest way back to the playoffs

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...FASTEST way?....Buffalo in their OWN division......call it the Lake Erie Division......1st place finisher gets an automatic berth......works for me....

In college I played lacrosse and for the first 3 years we were independent of a division and essentially had to win every game to make a postseason birth. My senior year we were absorbed into a brand new conference with teams who were bottom of the barrel. I was fortunate enough to captain this team to its first championship. Nothing like ending your lax career with a landslide win in the championship game, at your house.

My point being, you are right. That would be the fastest way to get in the dance. No matter how unrealistic that may be.

Which of my points was this in response to?

We can make the playoffs with Tyrod. I said that. The quickest route is improve the defense and run the ball well let Tyrod do what he has done the last 2 years.

What I am saying is that I don't necessarily want the quickest route. I want the sustainable route even if it means waiting another year or two and that means finding a franchise Quarterback. So the Bills better start taking QBs.

It wasnt so much a response but more expanding on what you had said. The only difference between me and you is that I have not decided that we can't have a sustainable playoff team with TT at QB.

This is his 4th OC in 4 years.

He struggled with no Sammy, but with a Healthy Sammy they were pretty good together.

He has less than 2 seasons of starts.

He has been saddled with a poor cast of receivers when Sammy is out or playing hurt.

He protects the ball.

Coaching was an issue here in his 2 years.

He is a major threat with his legs that opens up things for everyone.

So, while I know full well he has work to do, I also have not closed the door on his ability to improve with just 28 starts, 2 Pro Bowls, is a great teammate, pushes himself, been saddled with a questionable coaching staff in his first 2 years, and been without his most trusted and talented WR for about half his starts at QB.

It wasnt so much a response but more expanding on what you had said. The only difference between me and you is that I have not decided that we can't have a sustainable playoff team with TT at QB.

He struggled with no Sammy, but with a Healthy Sammy they were pretty good together.

He has been saddled with a poor cast of receivers when Sammy is out or playing hurt.

He protects the ball.

So, while I know full well he has work to do, I also have not closed the door on his ability to improve with just 28 starts, 2 Pro Bowls, is a great teammate, pushes himself, been saddled with a questionable coaching staff in his first 2 years, and been without his most trusted and talented WR for about half his starts at QB.

There is no way Tyrod is the long term answer. None. He doesn't see the field well enough, he doesn't make fast enough decisions and bails clean pockets too often. This isn't me spitballing it is all there on the all22. In painful technicolour.

Now don't get me wrong on this contract (rather than the original one) it is a no brainer that he is our best option to start in 2017 but for me the Bills should be looking to draft the Quarterback who could be the long term answer in the first round rather than load up on defensive pieces or receivers for Tyrod hoping that we back into the playoffs in a perfect storm in 2017. That to me is the ultimate short term thinking. We have spent many of the last 17 years trying to end the drought and so making year by year decisions.

It is time to change that. Make the decision that potentially gives us the long term change we need. Corey Davis or Marshon Lattimore (both of whom I like a lot as players) do not do that.

EDIT: only if the Bills share your view that this Quarterback class is as bad as 2013 (it isn't) should they rule out a QB at 10. Otherwise they should be prepared to take one should their QB1 be still on the board.

Edited by GunnerBill

He protects the ball.

...he has had about the same "less than desirable start" as EJ did......BOTH faced some pretty significant hurdles.....BOTH seem to struggle with ability to process the field in short time allotted.....TT has confidence whereas EJ had NONE....thus, he's gone.....just hope that TT's confidence is not solely based on his "wheels escapability" which makes him thinks he can abandon his field scan and always make something happen....Dennison needs to fix this ASAP, but it is a "gray matter issue" and I'm not sure if it can be fixed......scanning the field to see/utilize his receivers (WR's AND TE's) with scrambling bieng the exception versus the rule is about the only way this offense will work consistently.....to prolong his career IMO.......

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

He protects the ball.

Why do you think that Whaley and the McDermott staff were willing to let TT go unless he was willing to accept a substantial pay cut? From the organization's standpoint it certainly wasn't afraid to let him walk unless it's stringent financial conditions were met. Do you really believe that this franchise that hasn't had a legitimate franchise qb for over twenty years wouldn't be more accommodating to a qb that it believed had a long term future? Look at how TT's contract is structured. It is structured in such a way that the organization can walk away after one year with little residual cap repercussions. That doesn't demonstrate much confidence in a long term relationship.

The fastest way for a struggling franchise to make a quantum leap forward is to secure a franchise qb. The Raiders are good example of that point. It was a clown operation that was pervasively mocked until they selected a credible qb that we, by the way, bypassed. Of course the roster needed to be generally upgraded but the most important addition was Derek Carr, the qb.

The argument that the supporting cast has to be upgraded in order to mask the limitations of a qb is an argument in of itself that acknowledges that the qb is limited. How about turning that argument around and find a qb who can take advantage of the assets around him?

I am confident that the Bills are not going to use a high draft pick on a qb this year. That's what they do. And that is why they haven't had a franchise qb in over twenty years and why they have been out of the playoffs for 20 consecutive years (confidently counting the next few years of futility).

There are good qb prospects in this draft. None of them will be ready to play right away. That shouldn't be an excuse for not getting one of them on the roster sooner rather than later. For those people who salivate at the prospect of drafting a DB with our first round pick I want to point out that this woebegone franchise has done that on multiple occasions. They did it with Clements and Gilmore. As soon as their contract was up they let them walk because they weren't willing to pay the going rate for these caliber of players. The cycle of futility continues because the cycle of stupidity continues.

In college I played lacrosse and for the first 3 years we were independent of a division and essentially had to win every game to make a postseason birth. My senior year we were absorbed into a brand new conference with teams who were bottom of the barrel. I was fortunate enough to captain this team to its first championship. Nothing like ending your lax career with a landslide win in the championship game, at your house.

My point being, you are right. That would be the fastest way to get in the dance. No matter how unrealistic that may be.

....my comment was pure sarcasm out of frustration over the last 17 years my friend.....been my club since 1962 and have experienced the highs and lows....."low for 17" is painful.....

Why do you think that Whaley and the McDermott staff were willing to let TT go unless he was willing to accept a substantial pay cut? From the organization's standpoint it certainly wasn't afraid to let him walk unless it's stringent financial conditions were met. Do you really believe that this franchise that hasn't had a legitimate franchise qb for over twenty years wouldn't be more accommodating to a qb that it believed had a long term future? Look at how TT's contract is structured. It is structured in such a way that the organization can walk away after one year with little residual cap repercussions. That doesn't demonstrate much confidence in a long term relationship.

The fastest way for a struggling franchise to make a quantum leap forward is to secure a franchise qb. The Raiders are good example of that point. It was a clown operation that was pervasively mocked until they selected a credible qb that we, by the way, bypassed. Of course the roster needed to be generally upgraded but the most important addition was Derek Carr, the qb.

The argument that the supporting cast has to be upgraded in order to mask the limitations of a qb is an argument in of itself that acknowledges that the qb is limited. How about turning that argument around and find a qb who can take advantage of the assets around him?

I am confident that the Bills are not going to use a high draft pick on a qb this year. That's what they do. And that is why they haven't had a franchise qb in over twenty years and why they have been out of the playoffs for 20 consecutive years (confidently counting the next few years of futility).

There are good qb prospects in this draft. None of them will be ready to play right away. That shouldn't be an excuse for not getting one of them on the roster sooner rather than later. For those people who salivate at the prospect of drafting a DB with our first round pick I want to point out that this woebegone franchise has done that on multiple occasions. They did it with Clements and Gilmore. As soon as their contract was up they let them walk because they weren't willing to pay the going rate for these caliber of players. The cycle of futility continues because the cycle of stupidity continues.

I usually don't quote longish comments, especially when it is two posts above.

This deserves the repeat. I hope, without much confidence, they are open to a qb early this year.

I usually don't quote longish comments, especially when it is two posts above.

This deserves the repeat. I hope, without much confidence, they are open to a qb early this year.

There is a good chance in this draft that we will be in position to select the first qb. I believe that Cleveland will use their second first round pick, #12, probably for Trubisky. Depending on which qb we ranked the highest I believe that we can trade down and still get a good qb prospect. Will we do it? Probably not. Mulish stubbornness will prevail allowing this failed franchise to continue to wallow in its state of mediocrity.

There is a good chance in this draft that we will be in position to select the first qb. I believe that Cleveland will use their second first round pick, #12, probably for Trubisky. Depending on which qb we ranked the highest I believe that we can trade down and still get a good qb prospect. Will we do it? Probably not. Mulish stubbornness will prevail allowing this failed franchise to continue to wallow in its state of mediocrity.

It'll be some fast cornerback > qb

We've seen this show before. Smh.

I'm going streaking like frank the tank if we nab Tru at 10, and he can sit behind Taylor for a bit.

You're welcome CoT. I come in peace.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

Tom Brady retires

Bills get a good QB

Bills get a good GM

As long as this owner keeps the same front office that the last owner employed I have little faith in seeing much success over the next few years. A better GM and senior NFL adviser other than Russ Brandon would be a good start!

What we don't know is if Tyrod will develop further into a better QB. (Tyrod as he is played well enough to win 9-10 games and it was Ryan's defense that let the team down the last two seasons.)

And, Is Sean McDermott the answer at HC? Because it's steep and unforgiving learning curve in being a first time HC in the NFL.

Chuck Knox proved you don't need a team of superstars to make the playoffs. You need a solid head coach who knows what he is doing and can evaluate player talent properly. Knox took a bunch of young players and made them believe in themselves that they could win games. He brought in a few older rah- rah type players to build a good locker room leadership team.

Running the football and playing great defense worked then and it will work in today's NFL as long as the new Bills OC doesn't attempt to make the QB carry the offense all by himself. This team has enough player talent to win enough games to get this team in the playoffs provided that certain positions get upgraded properly in the draft.

JMHO

1. Passing Yards do NOT equal playoffs. Ask Drew Brees who has averaged 5000 yards per season the last 3 years and never won more than 7 games or made the playoffs. In fact, Brees, Rivers, Luck, Ryan, and Stafford have combined to make the playoffs just 3 times out of 15 tries the last 3 years.

2. In Tyrods 15 starts, we were the 5th highest scoring team in the NFL. Points are points, doesnt matter if you run or throw...each TD is worth 6 and we were the 5th best scoring team in the NFL with TT as our QB. And going into week 17 (when we sat TT), only the Falcons and Saints had scored more TD's than the Bills.

3. We scored all those points DESPITE not having our best WR for most the year, having the rest of our WR's hurt frequently, losing key OL for parts of the year, losing McCoy for a full game and most of 2 others, and switching OC's in week 2. Furthermore, TT had 3 different OC's in 3 straight seasons.

4. IN 15 games, TT led the Bills to 25 points or more TEN times.

5. We were the number 1 rushing attack in the NFL.

6. The 2 years with TT are the HIGHEST 2 years of Buffalo scoring in team history outside the first 3 SB years. Last years team was the 5th highest in Bills history in scoring, but if TT played week 17 likely would have finished THIRD in Bills history.

7. As the number 1 rushing attack, we also had the FEWEST pass ATTEMPTS in the NFL. If you don't throw it, you don't compile stats.

8. TT has an incredible TD:Turnover ratio

9. When Sammy got healthy after the bye week in 2015, the final 9 games of the season with TT he was one of the most productive WR's in the NFL showing what a healthy Sammy can do for TT and this offense, especially if TT trusts that WR.

10. We were a higher scoring team than most the teams in the playoffs under TT.

More about the D:

1. If you ignore the FLUKE shutout of the Patriots in week 4 that had No Brady, No Gronk, and No Jimmy but did have a 3rd string rookie QB with a hurt hand...the Bills defense in the other 15 games gave up an average of OVER 25 points per game, for 26th worst in the NFL.

2. Had Brady played week 4 and put up just 30 (he put up 41 on us a few weeks later) we would have been 28th in the NFL in points allowed over the full season.

2. Rex system clearly did not fit this defense.

3. We didn't have our best Safety and communicator in a complicated D most the season.

4. We lost BOTH our top 2 draft picks for half or all the season in Shaq and Rags.

5. We were missing our DL in Dareus for half the year.

6. We had other key injuries the D could not sustain.

7. We lost 8 games with TT and in those 8 games we lost by 6 points or less SIX times. Including having a big 3rd quarter lead against Oakland where the D gave up 4 straight TD drives late to Oak.

Now...when you average a score of 25+ points per game, that SHOULD be enough to win a lot of games. When you give up 25+ points per game you should lose a lot of games. We did BOTH.

Given we lost six games by 1 score or less, we clearly do not need to go from 26th worse defense to first ranked D to win more of those less than 1 score losses. Even a MODEST improvement of the D to middle of the pack would turn several of those 6 point or less losses into wins and that would equal the playoffs.

Now factor in, we "should" have a healthy Sammy to start the year, better WR's on the roster than last year behind him, both our top 2 picks last year healthy and ready to contribute on D, REX GONE, Dareus the whole year, already an upgrade at S, and whatever else we add in FA and the draft...and its quite easy to see that our path to the playoffs may be right in front of us THIS year. We were close the last 2 years, but the D was by far our biggest issue and just the change from Rex to McDermott will likely make a big difference.

We are on a much better path than people (who hate TT) realize. This false narrative about passing yards is just not factually correct. Yardage doesnt win games, scoring more points than the opponent wins game...and we were pretty good at scoring points and awful at preventing points.

This post was worth bumping again, thanks Alpha for showing how it's done. On this board, football analysis always wins over feelings. The constant negativity is really getting old. This is the time of the year to be optimistic, with the draft coming up and all new coaches. Can't we wait until after week one to start crying the sky is falling?

Secondly, every poster here knows Tyrod isn't as good as Brady, and he probably won't ever be in the HOF. But he is good enough to win in the meantime, while we find the next franchise guy.

Taylor is never going to win this team a super bowl. As a passer he beats out only Jets QB and the Patriots back up is better than him as a passer. These two years with Taylor are only a wildcard push, we don't have the talent on this roster to carry Taylor and Taylor is not a good enough passer to carry the team.

This is probably true, but TT is still improving. Could surprise this year with new system.

This is probably true, but TT is still improving. Could surprise this year with new system.

Steve Young won a Championship operating out of the West Coast O and had a similar size and skill set of Tyrod Taylor.

The Bills new O was Taylor made for Tyrod in my humble opinion.

Steve Young won a Championship operating out of the West Coast O and had a similar size and skill set of Tyrod Taylor.

The Bills new O was Taylor made for Tyrod in my humble opinion.

Just so I'm clear ... did you just compare Tyrod Taylor to Steve Young?