The fastest way back to the playoffs

Most teams change management when they fail after 3 years. Bills seem to have continuity even when they fire coaches. So I expect this draft to go down the way last years did. A head coach empowered over a weak GM, throwing away picks, and patching holes.

There is no vision at One Bills Drive. We see a team chasing its own tail over and over.

It's very hard to go almost 20 years without the playoffs when you haven't totally given up the ghost and earned a top 3 pick.

6-8 wins with consistency is hard to achieve.

still....

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two words: change divisions

I agree to an extent... Miami made the playoffs last year. That leaves a rotten fish taste on my tounge.

But I could see us getting knocked out first round like they were.

Until Brady and BB hand em up, we've got an uphill battle.

I really am interested in seeing WHO grabs Gordon. I just don't know if McD is into reclamation projects. He's a no nonsense type of coach.

Divisions change strength all the time, that is no solution.

How about get serious and hire good football minds and build an honest team

I can live with 3 straight 2-14 seasons to achieve this.

Edited by row_33

Why has there never been a successful Air Raid QB in the NFL? There have been several 1st and 2nd rounders who had the physical talent but struggled mightily in the NFL.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/4/21/11473382/jared-goff-nfl-draft-2016-cal-air-raid

Where was there a successful Tedford system QB before Aaron Rodgers? The air raid is just another spread offense. It doesn't make a QB get a disease.

The point of this thread is wrong. It's not about the "fastest" way, it's about finding the franchise QB.

You draft either Mahomes or Watson at #10, then draft the best receiving threat in the second round (TE or WR), then draft a DB in the third (Whaley has a knack for finding them in the later rounds).

Sit the rookie QB for the full season and let him develop. After the year, if the rookie QB isn't providing a sense of security that he'll be the answer then you try again and draft another QB in the 1st round in 2018.

Glimore's gone, Watkins is always hurt, Dareus has issues...this team needs to stop fiddling around the edges and treating 1st round picks like they're golden. Who cares that they tried with Manuel, try again and keep trying. After they find the franchise QB, then they can talk about drafting elite players in the first round to complement him, start making the playoffs and becoming a superbowl contender again.

The point of this thread is wrong. It's not about the "fastest" way, it's about finding the franchise QB.

You draft either Mahomes or Watson at #10, then draft the best receiving threat in the second round (TE or WR), then draft a DB in the third (Whaley has a knack for finding them in the later rounds).

Sit the rookie QB for the full season and let him develop. After the year, if the rookie QB isn't providing a sense of security that he'll be the answer then you try again and draft another QB in the 1st round in 2018.

Glimore's gone, Watkins is always hurt, Dareus has issues...this team needs to stop fiddling around the edges and treating 1st round picks like they're golden. Who cares that they tried with Manuel, try again and keep trying. After they find the franchise QB, then they can talk about drafting elite players in the first round to complement him, start making the playoffs and becoming a superbowl contender again.

That elite may never come back to Buffalo. have to build a good team that can win without a hall of famer?

Was Joe Ferguson an elite?

I wish the Bills thought like this.

Um his post literally said what is the fastest way back to the playoffs, what you are talking about is what is best long term for the franchise those are not necessarily the same thing, unless you think we can have a franchise QB here next year

Where was there a successful Tedford system QB before Aaron Rodgers? The air raid is just another spread offense. It doesn't make a QB get a disease.

There wasn't but Aaron Rodgers also didn't come in and start right away. He sat behind Farve for 3 seasons.

Mahomes is coming from a simple read and progression offense...he's not ready to start. If the Bills do draft him at 41...he would need to sit for a few years to learn.

He's the most physically gifted QB in the draft with gaudy stats....why is he not a universal top 5 or 10 pick? He's not even a universal first rounder.

Of the scouting reports I've read on him, he struggles with anticipation routes and makes a lot of bad decisions...in a simple offense. He's got the physical tools to become a special player but he's a project.

There is no FASTEST way. That's the reality.

It's clear cut at this point for me. I think we're going to miss the playoffs again (even when you do not want to hear that) because we have another unproven coaching staff and Tyrod remains an unproven QB. 1billsfan laid out the reasons. The defense sucks even more right now with the losses. Stop wishing on Richard Sherman. He's old at this point. The only thing he brings is winning experience, but that's not enough. We need production.

If you EVER want to have an elite QB in the future you have to make the INVESTMENT...

One thing I am sure of is TT is no answer... The Bills are NOT gonna make the playoffs this year... Let's use this draft to hopefully find that Elite QB for the future... Then after Brady retires the Bills will stand a chance....

There wasn't but Aaron Rodgers also didn't come in and start right away. He sat behind Farve for 3 seasons.

Mahomes is coming from a simple read and progression offense...he's not ready to start. If the Bills do draft him at 41...he would need to sit for a few years to learn.

He's the most physically gifted QB in the draft with gaudy stats....why is he not a universal top 5 or 10 pick? He's not even a universal first rounder.

Of the scouting reports I've read on him, he struggles with anticipation routes and makes a lot of bad decisions...in a simple offense. He's got the physical tools to become a special player but he's a project.

You need to read better scouting reports. Sounds like you are talking about someone else.

Dak Prescott, Can Newton, Mariota, RG3 all came from spread offenses and had early success. It takes a good offensive coordinator to get early success with a spread college QB.

You need to read better scouting reports. Sounds like you are talking about someone else.

Dak Prescott, Can Newton, Mariota, RG3 all came from spread offenses and had early success. It takes a good offensive coordinator to get early success with a spread college QB.

The spread is not the same as the Air Raid.

A variation doesn't mean it's the same...it's a variation.

Mahomes was a pure Air Raid QB...Newton, Mariota and RG3(one successful season) were not in the same offense.

If it was the same offense, it wouldn't be called a variation.

Lance Zeirlng from NFL.com not good enough?

Needs to improve anticipatory reads and learn to take what the defense gives him. Decision making can go from good to bad in a moment's notice.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/patrick-mahomes?id=2558125

Gregg Cossell

Patrick Mahomes, Texas Tech: Hes got a very good arm. Hes a loose thrower. But he played in the Air Raid offense for Kliff Kingsbury. Its an offense built on timing and structure and rhythm, and he played with almost no timing and structure and rhythm. Hes really gifted in a lot of areas. But buried under a lot of NFL-type talent is an alarming lack of any refinement for the position at this moment. Hes someone whos going to need to be coached hard, harnessed. Hes going to have to be receptive to the principles of being a nuanced, disciplined NFL quarterback. The playmaking mentality that he thrived on in college is going to have to be channeled and almost re-trained. He needs to be receptive to that.

Again...with his great physical abilities, why isn't he a universal top 10 pick? There's something in his game that's preventing him from being at the Goff, Wentz, Mariota, RG3 status coming out of college. Edited by Teeflebees

Do 7 billion people play QB?

Is that's the statistic you use, we should never, ever draft a QB because the success rate is .0000000000000000000000000000000000000001%

Sorry if I was not clear. My point is that finding a great NFL QB is not easy so if you are going to wait and find a franchise QB before you try and compete is not a satisfactory plan. Everyone can agree a great QB is really a huge help, but very few play the position well-- it's actually amazing how few given the population size. 20 or so starting QBs are B- quality and below, it's just a fact. And talent evaluators generally cannot forecast who will be a good QB, as you see so many high pick busts and the 10 or so elite ones often were not highly regarded at draft time, Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Prescott, etc. I believe the dearth of QB talent and the inability to identify good QBs is having a major negative impact on the popularity of the game, given how critical the position is to success.

So the repeated mantra is we have no chance without a QB so why worry when you don't have one is not really meaningful because it is not like making a stop at the grocery store and picking one up. And my point about buying more lottery tickets is that the Bills need to take more swings at finding a good QB, because they are so hard to find you need to get lucky and you can't get lucky without taking more possible QBs.

It would be something at quarterback. The only way I see the Bills even making the playoffs next season is if their defense is a dominant #1 and doesn't choke away a big game or two, but actually wins that big game. I hope to eat my own words, but I'm afraid Taylor cannot win any game with his arm, and his legs will fail him soon enough. He will never be a game changing passer, if it hasn't happened already, and the Shades will be half a step slower each year from here on out.

They have to address quarterback this off season. Rolling with Taylor and allowing for Jones to develop is a plan, but not one that I think is going to produce a playoff spot this season or next. But, hey, what the hell do I know..

Only one post! The second I saw this thread title I knew people were going to swing it back around to a TT thread. At least we're consistent

Sorry if I was not clear. My point is that finding a great NFL QB is not easy so if you are going to wait and find a franchise QB before you try and compete is not a satisfactory plan. Everyone can agree a great QB is really a huge help, but very few play the position well-- it's actually amazing how few given the population size. 20 or so starting QBs are B- quality and below, it's just a fact. And talent evaluators generally cannot forecast who will be a good QB, as you see so many high pick busts and the 10 or so elite ones often were not highly regarded at draft time, Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Prescott, etc. I believe the dearth of QB talent and the inability to identify good QBs is having a major negative impact on the popularity of the game, given how critical the position is to success.

So the repeated mantra is we have no chance without a QB so why worry when you don't have one is not really meaningful because it is not like making a stop at the grocery store and picking one up. And my point about buying more lottery tickets is that the Bills need to take more swings at finding a good QB, because they are so hard to find you need to get lucky and you can't get lucky without taking more possible QBs.

I can pretty much agree with all of this.