EJ Manuel signing with Raiders.

PIZ

No ... we won't.

Different courses of action often produce different results. Manuel was a guy who needed time to develop. He didn't get any because of the rubber mat. Perhaps he could have done what needed doing with him, a lot of which is still just grooving his mechanics a lot better. He still has bad feet, and some of that could easily be that instead of time to groove good footwork and get it down to the level of muscle memory he was instead forced to stop worrying about that and worry more about the things that would better help his immediate game.

I doubt he'll ever be a franchise guy. But same as with Tyrod, there's a chance. Manuel's chance is probably smaller than Tyrod's. But a bunch more guys have achieved turnarounds after four full years than after six. As I say, I doubt it, but there's little doubt that he was hurt when he had to replace Kolb.

They whiffed.

A GM doing something because he's worried the fans might go nuts ... is a bad GM.

They probably shouldn't have picked Manuel, but having done so, they should have had someone less brittle than Kolb to back him up, or even brought in a 3rd-stringer they wouldn't have minded seeing the field for a while.

And yeah, a lot of GMs get QBs wrong ... which is also called whiffing.

So 4 yrs of college behind a jimbo fisher pro style offense 897 passing attempts couldnt somewhat get that bad footwork corrected. What about a year of training with Todd, or David? How about training with the renowned steve calhoun in offseason of college? What about training in that elite qb training facility both offseasons? Cmon man.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So 4 yrs of college behind a jimbo fisher pro style offense 897 passing attempts couldnt somewhat get that bad footwork corrected. What about a year of training with Todd, or David? How about training with the renowned steve calhoun in offseason of college? What about training in that elite qb training facility both offseasons? Cmon man.

Actually 5 years at FSU under Jimbo. If there ever should have been a QB more ready for the NFL and been less of a "project" it should have been a fully mature 23 yr old EJ Manuel with all that great coaching, starts in college, and training.

The argument that the Bills ruined him is total bunk, he just wasn't a good QB. The Bills fell in love with his measurables, attitude, and politeness and reached badly for him when they backed themselves into a corner. We know through the Cowboys leaked draft board that they had a 4th round grade on him and that the Pats simply had EJ rated as "Athlete" to be moved to another position.

The excuses are ridiculous.

Actually 5 years at FSU under Jimbo. If there ever should have been a QB more ready for the NFL and been less of a "project" it should have been a fully mature 23 yr old EJ Manuel with all that great coaching, starts in college, and training.

The argument that the Bills ruined him is total bunk, he just wasn't a good QB. The Bills fell in love with his measurables, attitude, and politeness and reached badly for him when they backed themselves into a corner. We know through the Cowboys leaked draft board that they had a 4th round grade on him and that the Pats simply had EJ rated as "Athlete" to be moved to another position.

The excuses are ridiculous.

Well, the Pats did have a 6th round grade on Tom Brady...

It was pretty clear the coaching staffs didn't want EJ, hmmmm because the media talks like they know so much. We know that's a bunch of crap. We get fed more lies than truths. They speculate and make things up half the time. Rex went overboard about how much he liked EJ.

We get that from Rico as well so Rico is Rex?

Different courses of action often produce different results. Manuel was a guy who needed time to develop. He didn't get any because of the rubber mat. Perhaps he could have done what needed doing with him, a lot of which is still just grooving his mechanics a lot better. He still has bad feet, and some of that could easily be that instead of time to groove good footwork and get it down to the level of muscle memory he was instead forced to stop worrying about that and worry more about the things that would better help his immediate game.

He could have developed a lot more but was on wrong staffs at wrong time - I know some want to say all parts of team are bad - front office, coaching and players - but this was a case when a player was pushed to start too early and not enough support. At least he has a chance of backup job unlike Colin Kaepernick and Robert Griffin III.

There's groups of Bills fans that scream for a 1st round QB every year. It's never forced the Bills to draft a 1st round QB in other years...

The Bills didn't have to draft a 1st round QB that year. The fans would still have come to games. They don't run the team, and if a GM is doing things because the fans would get mad if he didn't, that guy should not be a GM. Thats a horrible way to run an NFL team.

It had nothing to do with the fans. The Bills backed themselves into a corner by ignoring the position for years and then cemented their need for a QB when they released Fitz before they had anyone to replace him with.

I remember things differently when it comes to the fans and the 2013 draft though...

I absolutely did not want any one of the 2013 QBs in the 1st round, or at all for that matter. At the time I said I'd be ok with taking a chance on one in a later round, but that's about it. Pretty much every Bills fan friend of mine I talked to IRL said the same thing, citing how weak the draft was considered.

Also, just about every scout/GM/exec & well respected NFL analyst I read/seen quoted said that they didn't really see any franchise QBs in the 2013 draft. The only person I remember saying anything different was a Buddy Nix, who said "I don't agree with everyone saying that there is no franchise QBs in this draft. We see 3 or 4 potential franchise guys".

I honestly think that Buddy Nix decided he was taking a 1st round QB before he even did any in depth scouting on that QB class, and then just convinced himself that there were franchise QBs available because he wanted there to be so badly.

Obviously the Bills fans don't call the shots at one Bills drive. I just said they would go nuts.

Well, the Pats did have a 6th round grade on Tom Brady...

Dallas had a 4th round grade on Dak Prescott. Carr made it by everyone in the first round. Brady got by all the teams until the 6th round, and Wilson went in the 3rd. Wow all those teams had those grades wrong on these qb's. Fire all the GM's.

According to Doug Whaley, EJ is an elite backup QB. According to OBD paid shill and donut lover John Murphy, Manuel is a top 10 backup.

Still awaiting EJ's contract numbers from Oakland, but top end backup QB's make upwards of 3.5 to 5 million dollars a year, so I am sure EJ is in that salary range. B-)

According to Doug Whaley, EJ is an elite backup QB. According to OBD paid shill and donut lover John Murphy, Manuel is a top 10 backup.

Still awaiting EJ's contract numbers from Oakland, but top end backup QB's make upwards of 3.5 to 5 million dollars a year, so I am sure EJ is in that salary range. B-)

On spotrac at the bottom it states he is 85th highest paid qb in the league, 62nd highest paid player for the raiders, and 2155 highest paid player in the league. Definitely not being paid like a top anything.

On spotrac at the bottom it states he is 85th highest paid qb in the league, 62nd highest paid player for the raiders, and 2155 highest paid player in the league. Definitely not being paid like a top anything.

That's because his contract value isn't available yet

Good god, the enthusiasm with which some want to bash others and proclaim themselves "victorious" in their QB assessments is astonishing.

Amen Brother.

The only former Bills players I trash are the ones who didn't put in effort and quit on the team or presented distractions There aren't many.

Whaley and Nix didn't whiff. They had to take a QB. They all sucked. If they didn't take a shot on one of them that year the fans would of went nuts. Most QBs that get drafted even in the first round are busts. Do you hear all the fans even this year saying we need to draft a QB, but as soon as they do and it doesn't work out, they all scream for Whaley's head. Getting a QB worth a crap is like shooting darts blind folded. Most GM's get it wrong.

They put themselves in that position before 2013 by not having a valid QB option after not retaining Fitz. Buffalo has drafted five QB's since Kelly retired, Cardale Jones, EJ Manuel, Levi Brown, Trent Edwards, and JP Losman.

Buffalo needs to draft quarterbacks more often. Failure to do this results in what we have seen over the last 20 years. Not every drafted QB will pan out but in the long run they will have more depth and more of a chance to find the right player.