EJ Manuel signing with Raiders.

PIZ

They put themselves in that position before 2013 by not having a valid QB option after not retaining Fitz. Buffalo has drafted five QB's since Kelly retired, Cardale Jones, EJ Manuel, Levi Brown, Trent Edwards, and JP Losman.

Buffalo needs to draft quarterbacks more often. Failure to do this results in what we have seen over the last 20 years. Not every drafted QB will pan out but in the long run they will have more depth and more of a chance to find the right player.

I looked this up some time ago. The Bills seem to draft a QB about every 3 years.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No ... we won't.

Different courses of action often produce different results. Manuel was a guy who needed time to develop. He didn't get any because of the rubber mat. Perhaps he could have done what needed doing with him, a lot of which is still just grooving his mechanics a lot better. He still has bad feet, and some of that could easily be that instead of time to groove good footwork and get it down to the level of muscle memory he was instead forced to stop worrying about that and worry more about the things that would better help his immediate game.

I doubt he'll ever be a franchise guy. But same as with Tyrod, there's a chance. Manuel's chance is probably smaller than Tyrod's. But a bunch more guys have achieved turnarounds after four full years than after six. As I say, I doubt it, but there's little doubt that he was hurt when he had to replace Kolb.

They whiffed.

A GM doing something because he's worried the fans might go nuts ... is a bad GM.

They probably shouldn't have picked Manuel, but having done so, they should have had someone less brittle than Kolb to back him up, or even brought in a 3rd-stringer they wouldn't have minded seeing the field for a while.

And yeah, a lot of GMs get QBs wrong ... which is also called whiffing.

The guy had all the tools in place physically. It was a shot I was glad they took at the time of that draft. It sucks that it didn't work out. I guess if you want to call it whiffing then that is your call. I guess most GM whiff. I think it's great that we at least tried to correct the QB situation and until we get the guy we want we should keep on trying. I guess every team whiffed by not taking Dak Prescott until Dallas finally grabbed him in the 4th round. I guess some fans just like to be more negative than others.

Edited by offsides#76FredSmerlas

@MikeGarafolo

EJ Manuel's deal with the Raiders: one year, $800k, no guaranteed money

Like I said a few days ago, the contract suggests he's probably not going to make the team.

That's the type of contract you see for guys who are struggling to stay in the league.

EJ should hire a new agent. At 6'4, 240 with 4.6 speed, he should try being a tight end otherwise he'll be in the CFL next year.

Edited by jrober38

Not surprising, he has maybe a 25-30% chance to make the roster. I said I would be more surprised if he was a #2 than if he was out of the league. We will see...

Yup, I and a bunch of others got lit up for saying he would be out of the league after his Buffalo contract was done.

Yup, I and a bunch of others got lit up for saying he would be out of the league after his Buffalo contract was done.

That should be a pretty common opinion. He's an atrocious QB.

The fact that some people still think he can be a starter in this league is pretty comical.

According to Doug Whaley, EJ is an elite backup QB. According to OBD paid shill and donut lover John Murphy, Manuel is a top 10 backup.

Still awaiting EJ's contract numbers from Oakland, but top end backup QB's make upwards of 3.5 to 5 million dollars a year, so I am sure EJ is in that salary range. B-)

So, he got 800K none guaranteed. This makes no sense if I am to believe Mr. Whaley and Mr. Murphy that EJ is a top backup. Maybe EJ took a lot less money because he wanted to live in Oakland.

Or...

Could it just be that Doug Whaley is just plain delusional when it came it EJ Manuel and John Murphy has become the equivalent of Baghdad Bob for OBD. Tough one to decide....