Pre-Draft Visits to OBD

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and it was thrown right to him.

I've probably been to hard on him. But still, I'll pass.

I'm with you. if you are that special of an athlete, production should follow. it's why I'm weary of of Howard, obi, and peppers from this class.

"Swing for the fences" is a cute yet meaningless phrase. Having a big arm and a gunslinger's mentality is about 15% of what being an NFL QB calls for.

Thanks to Yolo for setting me straight. I'm fine with having a chat with Chad as long as it doesn't prevent us from interviewing a legitimate prospect.

one thing to keep in mind is that if a team is seriously considering using a draft pick on a WR - in this case Engram or Stringfellow for example - and they want more insight into their strengths/weaknesses/route running etc they may use a visit on the QB even if they don't plan to draft the QB.

I'm with you. if you are that special of an athlete, production should follow. it's why I'm weary of of Howard, obi, and peppers from this class.

Howard just rarely had his number called by Kiffin, and he's earning points among NFL teams because he never complained about his inclusion (or lack thereof) in the offense. He's a team-first guy and definitely has the ability to be a special player.

Edited by blacklabel

Howard just rarely had his number called by Kiffin, and he's earning points among NFL teams because he never complained about his inclusion (or lack thereof) in the offense. He's a team-first guy and definitely has the ability to be a special player.

I hear you. I'm just leery of these guys. College is exactly the place where players can get by on athletic talent alone there should be production there if they are that good of a player. Howard has all the measurables and might have a great attitude but I just don't know about spending a top 10 pick on someone who didn't produce in college and then hoping they produce against better competition.

I can't think of guys that were athletic freaks and had little production in college that then became great pros. I'm open to having my mind changed though if people have examples. It happens in basketball but I don't know of it happening in the NFL.

For me top 10 needs production and measurables to be in line. If Peppers was a top 10 pick I would have liked to see a Charles Woodson type college career. If Howard was as dominant as he is touted I would think Saban would have made Kiffin use him. Especially with the shoddy QB play they had. Obi I am less against as he is talked about as a 2nd rounder. That is where I would take guys with measureables and HOPE I can get production out of them. Peppers at 10 and I'd be bummed, Peppers at 41 and I'll hope he turns into something and see why they grabbed him.

Does any of that make sense lol

I hear you. I'm just leery of these guys. College is exactly the place where players can get by on athletic talent alone there should be production there if they are that good of a player. Howard has all the measurables and might have a great attitude but I just don't know about spending a top 10 pick on someone who didn't produce in college and then hoping they produce against better competition.

I can't think of guys that were athletic freaks and had little production in college that then became great pros. I'm open to having my mind changed though if people have examples. It happens in basketball but I don't know of it happening in the NFL.

For me top 10 needs production and measurables to be in line. If Peppers was a top 10 pick I would have liked to see a Charles Woodson type college career. If Howard was as dominant as he is touted I would think Saban would have made Kiffin use him. Especially with the shoddy QB play they had. Obi I am less against as he is talked about as a 2nd rounder. That is where I would take guys with measureables and HOPE I can get production out of them. Peppers at 10 and I'd be bummed, Peppers at 41 and I'll hope he turns into something and see why they grabbed him.

Makes plenty of sense.

I would not take Howard at 10, because there are other very good Tight Ends in this class that you can get later.

I like Peppers, and would be fine if the Bills picked him, but not at 10. If we traded down and picked him later in the first round, that would be good.

I'm pickin' up what you're layin' down, haha. I'm just saying I think Howard's lack of production comes from design. It seems like they kept him in their back pocket and cut him loose only at certain times. He blew up during the National Championship. Also no clue how the QB is down there, I've heard he's not bad but who knows how often he was looking in Howard's direction. I understand the hesitation but for me, the guy has all the tools and I don't see any reason why he can't succeed. Taking him at 10 wouldn't be ideal because I believe he'll be there after that but you never know. I'm definitely on board with them dropping back and collecting some more picks. Looking at the draft order though, I'm not sure who would want to jump up to that 10 spot.

As for Peppers, I can see if the Bills like him due to his versatility but more than a few scouts and analysts have said he's a head-scratcher because the Combine didn't help them determine his best position. He's a guy I wouldn't want at 10 for sure, just because of the uncertainty of where he's going to play.