Better Call Saul Season 3 - It's on!!!!!

The Poojer

But you know what? As much as Jimmy had a selfish interest in settling Sandpiper quickly, he wasn't wrong to push it. These are elderly people who could die any day. What kind of ethics is it if a law firm is drags out a settlement for their own big payday? Jimmy helped all of Irene's friends. He just went about in a dickish way.

It is perfectly ethical for the lawfirm to drag out the case if they believe they will get substantially more for their clients. Part of the job is to maximize the money for your clients, even if it takes some time; attorneys have a fiduciary duty to their clients. Howard even pointed out that their projection was that Sandpiper would eventually settle for a lot more (which I'm presuming was based on Chuck's original season 1 analysis of RICO laws being applicable, allowing for triple damages if they won at trial.)

However, while it is not unethical to drag out a case to maximize settlement money for the class members, Jimmy's argument for settlement was not wrong (despite his entirely selfish reasons) when he confronted Howard.

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is perfectly ethical for the lawfirm to drag out the case if they believe they will get substantially more for their clients. Part of the job is to maximize the money for your clients, even if it takes some time; attorneys have a fiduciary duty to their clients. Howard even pointed out that their projection was that Sandpiper would eventually settle for a lot more (which I'm presuming was based on Chuck's original season 1 analysis of RICO laws being applicable, allowing for triple damages if they won at trial.)

However, while it is not unethical to drag out a case to maximize settlement money for the class members, Jimmy's argument for settlement was not wrong (despite his entirely selfish reasons) when he confronted Howard.

Pretty much the only unethical thing regarding Sandpiper in that episode was Jimmy destroying Irene's position within her retirement home. He can justify doing it to help the rest of the plaintiffs, but he's just lying to himself about what & why he did what he did.

The rest of it was everyone looking out for their own self-interest & believing that the rest of/all of the plaintiffs would be best served by that same outcome.

Why do you keep watching.

Or one of the boards under the tires didn't rear up and kill her, or that's been done already...

and the power nap snap-to after 5 minutes looked the same

getting desperate when you set that up

Edited by The Poojer

But you know what? As much as Jimmy had a selfish interest in settling Sandpiper quickly, he wasn't wrong to push it. These are elderly people who could die any day. What kind of ethics is it if a law firm is drags out a settlement for their own big payday? Jimmy helped all of Irene's friends. He just went about in a dickish way.

Which is what makes him such a great character, and the series such a great show. There's not one character on the show (with the possible exception of Salamanca) that doesn't have complex and multi-faceted motivations.

I thought it was strongly foreshadowed when she just missed plowing into the derrick.

I was honestly surprised they didn't just kill her.

I just finished watching the entire BB series again and Saul refers to a couple of ex-wives but that's it.

"Give me a dollar...now I'm your attorney."

I just finished season 2 of breaking bad.. Starting season 3 tonight. Definitely starting Better Call Saul when finished... Absolutely love breaking bad.. Best show i have ever watched..

Edited by Hurricane

Question: If someone never saw Breaking Bad before, should they start with Better Call Saul?

Interesting question. I want to say I'd recommend watching BB first, but the story in BCS is so good that not knowing the characters from BB may not be important.

Interesting question. I want to say I'd recommend watching BB first, but the story in BCS is so good that not knowing the characters from BB may not be important.

That's stretching it a bit, you wouldn't have cared about BCS without Saul being such a strong character on BB first.

Or maybe not.... I'd say watch BB first...

Then Breaking Bad becomes the sequel.

I know.... this is really the first time I've bothered with a prequel for anything in entertainment, probably the last, much enjoyed though.

Question: If someone never saw Breaking Bad before, should they start with Better Call Saul?

I had never seen Breaking Bad before watching Better Call Saul. After season one of BCS ended, I began watching BB on Netflix. To answer your question, I honestly don't think it matters which one you start with.

I just finished season 2 of breaking bad.. Starting season 3 tonight. Definitely starting Better Call Saul when finished... Absolutely love breaking bad.. Best show i have ever watched..

Season 3 is where it really starts kicking ass.

Wait until you get to the fly episode. Gripping television.

Can't wait to watch it... I haven't read through this whole thread, but is saul ad good as breaking bad?

he's different. good. but different. his role is much less predominant as you can imagine.

he plays a big part of the story but not part of the whole story - not like mike. in the later seasons mike is yuge.

crazy8 makes a cameo. hector and tuco are featured.

chuck, kim, howard, others are not a part of bb.

he's different. good. but different. his role is much less predominant as you can imagine.

he plays a big part of the story but not part of the whole story - not like mike. in the later seasons mike is yuge.

Sweet.... Thanks for the reply.. about to begin season 3 in a bit... The planes crashing at the end of season 2 was crazy... I use to always say Sons of anarchy was my favorite show ever.. Not anymore..

I have never watched BB yet, have the entire series on DVD but no time to watch them all yet. I have watched BCS as it aired for the first 2 seasons (rewatched them both before season 3 started) but haven't caught any of season 3 yet. I was recording them and planning to watch but have been too busy that I decided just to watch the entire season after it airs. I have not had it be an issue enjoying BCS because I havent watched BB yet. My wife is the same way, she never had much interest in BB but loves Saul. I have also been wanting to watch SOA as I picked up the entire series of that one too, just waiting to get some free time to watch

And Gus of course is a key character in BB

Also think back to last season when Mike's granddaughter was threatened by two guys on a rooftop that were later seen in Hector's shop.

Wait until you get to the fly episode. Gripping television.

If you could only take one DVD with you, would you take the BB Fly episode or your copy of March of the Penguins? I know how much you cherish both