Update the status of past TSW members and of their demise.

Tipster19

He generates interest by being an ahole?

I had no problem with Beerball as a poster, although his topics were tiresome. Instead of explaining what a thread was about he would say something about his clique - "Gugny gets a job".............You have no idea whether it's worth clicking in, so you usually don't and he's have one or two replies until it quickly move onto page two.

But, if he comes back, please don't have it be as a moderator. He had no common sense or sense of fairness about it, and would just blow up a thread that many people had posted to - because somebody in his clique didn't like it. Not lock or pull it to PPP, as I requested on a few occasion. Poof - gone!

Anyone who is a moderator is going to incur criticisms for their judgments. That's the nature of the job. He made judgments that often went against some people so their personal reaction was that he was being unfair to them. Every moderator has guidelines that are to a degree differently enforced. He was stricter than most. Instead of being irritated over it it's easier just make the adjustment to accommodate the moderator.

Let's face ii being a moderator is not a pleasant task. You are constantly dealing with complaints with how you are handling your job. Instead of making the minor adjustments to comply with the judgments of the moderator too much time and effort went into expressing one's problems with the moderator.

Sometimes being right doesn't mean you are wrong to extend a complaint beyond its worthiness. That's what often happened. The person who is giving up his/her time to moderate a forum gets tired of being criticized for the way he/she is doing it. What usually follows is the person who volunteered his time walks away only to have the critic start fresh with another moderator.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I miss AKC and the epic d-line equity debates.

Me too and he (imo) proved himself to be correct at the time.

His premise was that a team needed big time depth at the DT position. Now the league is obviously geared more toward passing but he made tons of sense back then. Great guy too!

I've met Lori on a couple occasions during TBD tailgate weekends. I started posting here right after she left. My understanding is that she split when Timmy Graham took his ball and went home after one too many people had the audacity to question him.

On Twitter, he just blocks people who don't fall in line. Here, he left.

I'm sure she was a great poster and I know she knows her schit about the Bills. But to leave because Tim Graham got butt hurt? Come on.

I really liked Lori's perspective and enjoyed her takes when she was here, but I also think there was a wee too much Timmy Graham worship going on. If I knew the parties better (I don't) it looked like she had/has a major crush on the guy.

Funny how reality is influenced by perception, by me included.

I don't remember TG taking any more grief than a "normal" member of TBD, nor any less. I remember him wanting to be thought of as "above the fray", and wanting to be treated as better than a normal poster as he was "media". Bullcrap. But I readily admit I think most media today, especially sports media, are not journalists and don't deserve any more, or any less, credibility than others on this board.

The love for Lori as always baffled me as well. Again, i liked Lori, but to say she was media and deserved some kind of revered treatment? Tell me one thing you have read from Lori Chase on the Bills since she has left this board???

Listen, this is a message board...you know what you are getting when you sign up. To think "media" deserves some kind of special place in our hearts is like thinking kids spend too much time on their phones.

There were many people here who enjoyed having access to a member of the media who has access to players and personnel that we common folk do not. TG's twitter antics are well documented, but if you hate the guy's guts its relatively simple to avoid the "Ask TG..." thread. If I recall correctly, TG's ground rules for continuing participation were that attacks on other members of the media and his colleagues were off limits. In other words, he wasn't going to tolerate posts like "Hey, TG, tell your pal Mort to stfu!".

That was basically the post that set it all off. A small contingent of posters won the battle that day and proved I don't know what and now neither the "winners" or TG are here today.

We all have basically the same ground rules here. If it stops being fun, then we're out. TG and JW have said the same thing.

Anyone who is a moderator is going to incur criticisms for their judgments. That's the nature of the job. He made judgments that often went against some people so their personal reaction was that he was being unfair to them. Every moderator has guidelines that are to a degree differently enforced. He was stricter than most. Instead of being irritated over it it's easier just make the adjustment to accommodate the moderator.

Let's face ii being a moderator is not a pleasant task. You are constantly dealing with complaints with how you are handling your job. Instead of making the minor adjustments to comply with the judgments of the moderator too much time and effort went into expressing one's problems with the moderator.

Sometimes being right doesn't mean you are wrong to extend a complaint beyond its worthiness. That's what often happened. The person who is giving up his/her time to moderate a forum gets tired of being criticized for the way he/she is doing it. What usually follows is the person who volunteered his time walks away only to have the critic start fresh with another moderator.

there is validity to your point. There has also been extreme cases of bias in the past. Its shaked itself out.

And I was like you. I didn't believe it was there until I incurred it. It was unsettling.

I thought Beerball was a fine mod and I likely got more PMs inquiring about the nature of my "problem" and why I cannot behave than most here. You can call it playing favorites but I think BB was more lenient with frequent contributors who had some kind of relationships on the board, even if he didn't care for the person personally.

The Kaep thread was a total cluster. Politically motivated posts and PPP style debate on mainboard has always been a bannable offense. "Someone else got away with it on page 56 first" is a poor excuse.

SanJoseBillsFan was always a cool dude and knowledgeable...he stopped coming to the board a year or so after I got here.

I haven't seen Cugalabanza in months.

The Real Buffalo Joe hasn't been on in a long time...he's engaged now to his "make believe woman friend"

Beerball is missed. There... I said it. Seriously, like Jauronimo said, I received warnings from both Beerball and Simon on a few occasions. Not warning points but just a simple reminder to "ease off" or "stop being a wanker". I didn't see any favoritism because in most cases if a guy is being an ass, he knows it himself. Just Jack, Nervous Guy, CBF and Chandler seem to be doing a good job as of late (a thankless job as JohnC said above).

I never posted with Tim Graham so I can't comment on his behavior on the board or how others treated him. Wawrow seems like a decent guy and it's good to have some media here to get information from time to time.

I thought Beerball was a fine mod and I likely got more PMs inquiring about the nature of my "problem" and why I cannot behave than most here. You can call it playing favorites but I think BB was more lenient with frequent contributors who had some kind of relationships on the board, even if he didn't care for the person personally.

The Kaep thread was a total cluster. Politically motivated posts and PPP style debate on mainboard has always been a bannable offense. "Someone else got away with it on page 56 first" is a poor excuse.

This.

I still have a warning point he gave me. My fault. The only reason he gave it was because my PM Inbox was @ capacity and he couldn't reach me. LoL... Heck, I didn't even see the warning for a month.

Most people's problems are that they want to feel special and important.

Beerball was very reasonable and fair. Anything I have ever gotten myself into was because of one person: Me.

People must really piss & moan, cry hurt feelings all the time to mods? People need to grow up and stop taking themselves too seriously.

This.

I still have a warning point he gave me. My fault. The only reason he gave it was because my PM Inbox was @ capacity and he couldn't reach me. LoL... Heck, I didn't even see the warning for a month.

Beerball was very reasonable and fair. Anything I have ever gotten myself into was because of one person: Me.

People must really piss & moan, cry hurt feelings all the time to mods? People need to grow up and stop taking themselves too seriously.

I'm blocking you!!!!!

He generates interest by being an ahole?

I had no problem with Beerball as a poster, although his topics were tiresome. Instead of explaining what a thread was about he would say something about his clique - "Gugny gets a job".............You have no idea whether it's worth clicking in, so you usually don't and he's have one or two replies until it quickly move onto page two.

But, if he comes back, please don't have it be as a moderator. He had no common sense or sense of fairness about it, and would just blow up a thread that many people had posted to - because somebody in his clique didn't like it. Not lock or pull it to PPP, as I requested on a few occasion. Poof - gone!

As a self-proclaimed member of this imaginary "clique," I can assure you that there was not channel through which anyone whined to Beerball, resulting in a thread being "blown up."

I do think, near the end of his tenure here, that his fuse got a little shorter. But for the 8 years prior to that that I've been coming here, I'd put him among the top of all mods as far as fairness and activity.

As another poster stated, Beerball always PM'd someone before they got any kind of a warning or a vacation. A couple other mods still do that; some do not.

As far as the "Gugny gets a job .." type thread titles go .... far from a Beerball exclusive. They pop up just about every day with a different user's name and posted by different people. It's a sign of knowing something about someone, in most cases - which to me is a good thing. As far as being censored, no one blew up my stupid posts more than he, so this favoritism claim is purely BS.

This place will survive without Beerball, just like it's survived without Lori and TG.

Some people will think it's better; some will think it's worse; some just won't give a !@#$ or won't even know.

Just like when anyone leaves.

All I know is that since he's no longer modding, a lot of crap goes (mainly racism, bigotry with a little bit of borderline pedophilia talk) that never would have while he was here. To me, that's bad. But that's who stayed behind.

agreed.

Thread should have been moved and let the dust settle

This.

People must really piss & moan, cry hurt feelings all the time to mods? People need to grow up and stop taking themselves too serious

Is there a reason one should care about warning points? Does your head explode when you reach 12 or something?

As a self-proclaimed member of this imaginary "clique," I can assure you that there was not channel through which anyone whined to Beerball, resulting in a thread being "blown up."

I do think, near the end of his tenure here, that his fuse got a little shorter. But for the 8 years prior to that that I've been coming here, I'd put him among the top of all mods as far as fairness and activity.

As another poster stated, Beerball always PM'd someone before they got any kind of a warning or a vacation. A couple other mods still do that; some do not.

As far as the "Gugny gets a job .." type thread titles go .... far from a Beerball exclusive. They pop up just about every day with a different user's name and posted by different people. It's a sign of knowing something about someone, in most cases - which to me is a good thing. As far as being censored, no one blew up my stupid posts more than he, so this favoritism claim is purely BS.

This place will survive without Beerball, just like it's survived without Lori and TG.

Some people will think it's better; some will think it's worse; some just won't give a !@#$ or won't even know.

Just like when anyone leaves.

All I know is that since he's no longer modding, a lot of crap goes (mainly racism, bigotry with a little bit of borderline pedophilia talk) that never would have while he was here. To me, that's bad. But that's who stayed behind.

would you stop with the nonsense of racism and bigotry accusations? Its getting old. If you need a safer space than find one. Reporting those who upset you as you keep doing is just poopooing and a tantrum.

would you stop with the nonsense of racism and bigotry accusations? Its getting old. If you need a safer space than find one. Reporting those who upset you as you keep doing is just poopooing and a tantrum.

Oh, the irony.

And I've never reported anyone.

Again ... the irony.

Edited by Gugny

I'm blocking you!!!!!

I already did, what did he say?!?! :nana:

Just kidding EIE. But seriously talk about a "thread jack."

I've seen some names on here, that I forgot about from long ago in "good/bad old days." The Dean was great and his legacy lives on with "shiv the mofo." Lana was great as was ajzeep.

I saw somewhere a few pages back, someone commented about taking some time away from the board. I took about two years and it really didn't seem that bad. I'm not "addicted" to this page, by any means, but taking some time away allowed me to forget about perceived slights or other biases I may have had against certain posters, topics or viewpoints.

All in all, it's good to be back here. I just can't see letting anyone that I don't really "know" get under my skin so much. Just my opinion though, I could be (probably) wrong.

I saw somewhere a few pages back, someone commented about taking some time away from the board. I took about two years and it really didn't seem that bad. I'm not "addicted" to this page, by any means, but taking some time away allowed me to forget about perceived slights or other biases I may have had against certain posters, topics or viewpoints.

I hear this. I've been less active the past couple of years (while ironically interacting with some folks from here IRL more and more), which has included several-month "breaks." Seems to be good for my sanity: one less thing about the Bills to deal with :D

I really liked Lori's perspective and enjoyed her takes when she was here, but I also think there was a wee too much Timmy Graham worship going on. If I knew the parties better (I don't) it looked like she had/has a major crush on the guy.

I disagree. I knew Lori very well and while the Graham thing had a major impact on her, I didn't sense a crush. Lori is a journalist in her own right.

She also knew as much about football as any fan (with 1 exception) who I have ever come across. Lori is brilliant and a truly nice person. It was a sad day when she left TBD.

Oh, the irony.

And I've never reported anyone.

Again ... the irony.

whatever your personal issue is Gug, I suggest you deal with it. This whole schtick of I don't understand the conversation or I'm offended so therefore you're racist/bigoted/etc doesn't look good on you

And if you have an issue with this irony, which I don't care about you should go ahead and just skip reading my posts. Whatever I did to upset you or have you so obsessed with me I apologize. You're a good person and I'll still call you a friend no matter what you want to call me.

Until you want to calm down, take care bud.

Beerball will not be back on this board until he finishes his trip across America. Although he is an inspiration I will never again allow him to sit on my bike because he unmercifully bends the rims. Good luck Beerball and thank you for taking away the penalty points that I was unfairly assessed (not by you).

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/600-pound-man-bikes-coast-coast-save-marriage-lose-weight-n398616