Have you switched sides politically?

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was registered independent in my early years and switched to republican so I could vote in the primaries. Over the past decade I would say my beliefs tend to lean more to the right aside from a few issues.

Just an aside .... Hunter Thompson ate babies

I've always voted Democrat because my wife is a public school teacher (Betsy Devos -uggghhh) and my brother was diagnosed with a debilitating chronic illness where he relies on Medicaid right now before he can get disability. However, I disagree with Democrats when it comes to their pro choice stance and wasn't too crazy about them when they killed Vince Foster.

I was a die-hard entitlement liberal in college. I believed it all.

Then I got a job and discovered the internet. I found out that my professors had lied. I started thinking for myself.

After taking a few online quizzes, I'm somehow considered just left of center, but have been called alt-right by the loony left.

I would probably have been considered a liberal by classic standards; but not today; The scales are a little skewed by SJW's.

I started life as a Nixon sympathizer. Felt Ford was a weak bumbling idiot. Carter was a nice guy with no backbone and no sense of how to run an economy. I loved Reagan for what he stood for (America first, lower taxes, strong defense) but also thought he was weak when push came to shove (Lebanon Barrack bombing). My first Presidential election was for Reagan. I voted for Bush Sr the first time around. Voted for Perot because I was also sick of bloated government. Voted for Clinton the next time because of the Republican witch hunt. Voted straight Republican ever since since I had been exposed to the liberal madness of Massachusetts and how my rights as a gun owner are completely usurped by that fairy tale state government. That and I worked my ass off to get where I am. !@#$ white privilege. That is complete bull ****. You get where you are from hard work. That is for 99.9% of us. The other .1% are those who inherit it and squander it, or those that are in the ruling class.

I like to think of myself as more of a Libertarian... smaller central government, lower taxes, self reliance... etc... and I would vote for a Libertarian if there was a decent enough choice.

This time around I voted for Trump because I hated Clinton. I hated what they did to Sanders. I hated what she did as SecState. I actually met Trump at a rally that my friend got us VIP tickets for. Nice guy. Affable. Someone that I felt was doing what he thought was good for people. He might be a public relations nightmare but I can't help but think things are going to be better with him running the show.

Grew up Liberal. Went through an embarrassing Rush Limbaugh worship phase during Gulf 1. Shortly after, settled on Libertarian but not part of their embarrassing party (Johnson ugh) where pot discussion is a battle cry.

Don't trust many republicans though I like the more practical breed like Ryan and Rubio. Dems I see as either untrustworthy (Hillary) or naive (Bernie). I abhor populism in any form--I see it as a playground for zealotry.

So I vote based on practicality. Who can help the US the most? Have not voted for a winning pres ever and I usually vote for a major party candidate except like this year when both choices were repugnant.

Edited by Benjamin Franklin

Registered Republican at 18 because I didn't know there were other options. I had a high school teacher who suggested that I look into something called the Libertarians but I was like meh. I was 18 after all and only registered to vote because Dad told me to. In hindsight I should have registered Democrat because my hometown is run by Democrat machine and the real local elections are the Democrat primary

Got to college and discovered there were more options than the binary Republican/Democrat. Toyed with the idea of voting for Libertarian candidate Harry Browne in 2000 but ended up falling for the fallacy of the thrown away vote so I voted for George W Bush

Moved to a different state. Registered Independent and voted Libertarian in 2004 and 2008. Intended to vote Libertarian again in 2012 but again I fell for the fallacy of the thrown away vote so I voted for Romney over Gary Johnson. In 2016 I returned to Libertarian voting.

My personal ideology has not changed much over the years. From a philosophical standpoint I am a classical liberal / modern libertarian. I believe in free markets and free peoples. I do not want others enforcing their religious / moral / political beliefs upon me nor do I believe that I have the right to do so myself. I do not believe in the concept of redistribution of wealth. Taking from one person or group and giving to another is theft. Doing so in the name of the people, such as myself, is also fraud as many agree with neither the confiscation nor destination

Picking a political side is like picklist Ng a religion they are all wrong and do no good.

I should have phrased that differently.

Do not think I went to Team Republican. I did not. The Republicans represent my views about as well as Democrats do.

I'm not sure I despise political parties...but I despise a two party system. Like political centripetal force they spin out of control to the fringes.

I'm just a guy who wants people to keep the money they earn, and to each their own.

I should have phrased that differently.

Do not think I went to Team Republican. I did not. The Republicans represent my views about as well as Democrats do.

I'm not sure I despise political parties...but I despise a two party system. Like political centripetal force they spin out of control to the fringes.

I'm just a guy who wants people to keep the money they earn, and to each their own.

I respect that and agree with it.

Your story is almost the mirror opposite of baskin, a former Republican who decided the right was wrong about everything, so he decided to become a liberal.

The other difference between the two of you is your story is probably true.

The 8 great years of 43 brand conservatism killed it for me.....

The 8 great years of 43 brand conservatism killed it for me.....

Oh, please. You've never been ANYTHING but a far left sheep. I know you pretend for the sake of making a point, but your posting history and political philosophy is SO clearly the byproduct of a Bernie/Liz/Obama three-way, that no one believes you've ever been anything but a Dead Dog SoProg.