Have you switched sides politically?

Agnosticism is saying "I don't know if there is a god." That's a cop out in most spiritual conversation. It's leaving the door open.

Atheists for the most part say "I don't see any proof of god. Let's go grab a beer."

Perhaps atheism is ill defined. Those who express belief in the ansense of god are a strange lot of faith believers. I see them as a vocal minority. Those who don't believe in a god for lack of evidence...that's in some way logical and how most atheists I know are: Good people who just don't spend a lot of time talking about god.

It is literally the opposite of theism no matter how you want to doctor it up.

Both are beliefs.

It's pretty simple.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is literally the opposite of theism no matter how you want to doctor it up.

Both are beliefs.

It's pretty simple.

Atheism is not a faith in a lack of something. It's a lack of faith in a lack of something. Said another way, Atheists would say they don't believe in what's not there. They would not say they believe nothing is there.

It's an important distinction. God and arachnid unicorns and Thor and the tooth fairy are the same to an atheist.

Edited by Benjamin Franklin

No. Atheism is lack of belief due to lack of evidence.

Same reason Rational people don't believe in the tooth fairy and Thor. (Although if I was going to choose a belief system, I could do worse than Norse.)

There are Atheists who prostelitize. Those people fit your definition but they are minority. An annoying loud minority but minority.

Most atheists sort of just ignore religious debate as waste of air except when forced to engage.

This is it in a nutshell. Theism is believe in a deity. Atheism is a lack of that belief, usually because there's no evidence. Many religious people try to create a false equivalency where there isn't one. My guess is to make them feel better about having imaginary friends as adults but that's just my guess. The big driver usually stems from the fear of death.

Edited by Drunkard

This is it in a nutshell. Theism is believe in a deity. Atheism is a lack of that belief, usually because there's no evidence. Many religious people try to create a false equivalency where there isn't one. My guess is to make them feel better about having imaginary friends as adults but that's just my guess.

I'll weep for you as you burn forever and ever in hell for not believing in my just and caring God. So glad I'm a chosen one going to heaven

I'll weep for you as you burn forever and ever in hell for not believing in my just and caring God. So glad I'm a chosen one going to heaven

I'm pretty sure your answer was sarcastic, but here is a fun response when it isn't sarcasm.

My_6c5d80_152818.jpg

Edited by Drunkard

I still consider my self conservative - I believe which others seem to group with being religiously orthodox and "small government" or "anti-liberal"...I think conservative is doing the right thing - even if sometime you don't like it.

I do not consider myself current USA brand conservative - these seem to be the major "wins" or pushes of the GOP/Conservatives over the last 2 decades:

• Disregard science
  • Get into 2 unfunded wars
  • Borrow money to fund tax cuts
  • Tweak voting rules to deliberately target minorities
  • Leave the environment in worse condition than when you got there
  • Hand the election process to money
  • Fight SSM
  • Use public money for religious purposes
  • Torture
  • Disregard the will of the people and delay SCOTUS appointment
  • Build a wall that won't do anything
  • Ban visitors from Muslim countries accomplishing nothing

Nothing "conservative" about any of that.

Additionally - the notion that the GOP won't condemn DT position with Russia and get to the bottom of any collusion - AND develop a response to Russia involvement in our elections - is so blatantly unpatriotic and self serving - it is beyond words. The POTUS should be accountable to everyone - DT has proclaimed that he is accountable to no one.

Please spare me the "but liberals do this...and that"....If you demand accountability from one - demand it from all.

We don't have Parties anymore - we have Tribalism. When you are in your tribe you find identity and satisfaction within the tribe you are with and defend them right or wrong.

Edited by baskin

You know who else was an agnostic?

I don't know for sure, but probably Hitler.

I'm agnostic, leaning towards atheism. Nothing proves there's a god to me so far, but I certainly acknowledge that humans are limited in scope of understanding, so who the hell knows what's out there.

But thanks for the Hitler comparo :)

Edited by Dorkington

You know what i find amusing about most atheists? They'll bash Christianity all day, and leave Islam alone...this despite the fact that one of the two of those...fairy tales will behead you for saying it's a fairy tale.

Not true. Religious people try and bash others religion, but when people say terrorism that is religiously inspired, they get all huffy and say, no, that's just Islam :lol:

Not true. Religious people try and bash others religion, but when people say terrorism that is religiously inspired, they get all huffy and say, no, that's just Islam :lol:

I hope we have a watch on that evil Father O'Donovan and his minions and stop them before they send out The Little Sisters of Mercy with their suicide vests.

You know what i find amusing about most atheists? They'll bash Christianity all day, and leave Islam alone...this despite the fact that one of the two of those...fairy tales will behead you for saying it's a fairy tale.

Following by screaming at Christians who don't want to bake a cake for a gay wedding while also arguing that we need to welcome Muslims openly into our country in spite of the way they like to throw gays off buildings.

Following by screaming at Christians who don't want to bake a cake for a gay wedding while also arguing that we need to welcome Muslims openly into our country in spite of the way they like to throw gays off buildings.

C'mon man, that's just their version of midget bowling.

See, i hate all religions. They're all foolishness. Simply a matter of degree.

Edited by joesixpack

This is it in a nutshell. Theism is believe in a deity. Atheism is a lack of that belief, usually because there's no evidence. Many religious people try to create a false equivalency where there isn't one. My guess is to make them feel better about having imaginary friends as adults but that's just my guess. The big driver usually stems from the fear of death.

You replied to BF as if you agreed with him but the contents of your post are not in line with that.

He said:

Said another way, Atheists would say they don't believe in what's not there. They would not say they believe nothing is there

By using the word imaginary, you are disagreeing with BF while you say you are agreeing. So let me ask you this:

If you don't even realize you disagree with him....which requires only basic reading comprehension skills for the span of one single sentence.....then how are you smart enough to know that God simply does not exist? There is a gigantic gap between what he said and what you said....and you think that you agree. So please pardon me if I don't take your word for it on the greatest question known to man.

Edited by 4merper4mer