Today I Learned....PartII

TIL that Talia Shire (Connie Corleone) is the sister of Francis Ford Coppola. I've seen The Godfather countless times - how did I not know this already?

Copolla's daughter Sofia played the Coreleone daughter in Godfather III after Winonna Ryder backed out at the last minute

Nicolas Cage's real last name is Coppola and is the nephew of Francis Ford Coppola and Talia Shire. He took the name Cage to avoid rumors of nepotism

Nicolas Cage's real last name is Coppola and is the nephew of Francis Ford Coppola and Talia Shire. He took the name Cage to avoid rumors of nepotism

He got the name Cage from the comic book character Luke Cage

TIL Woodrow Wilson suffered a severe stroke and through the last 17 months his wife determined what was important enough for husband to look at and may have actually made many of the decisions for him.

You're only now just learning that?

It's would be polite if you don't inhibit the rest of us slow learners. No matter how many decades it takes us. Calculus took forever, then it clicked! :)

It's would be polite if you don't inhibit the rest of us slow learners. No matter how many decades it takes us. Calculus took forever, then it clicked! :)

I'm just surprised...I thought it was common knowledge that Edith Wilson was our first female President.

Sometimes I forget that, as a Clavenesque storehouse of completely useless trivia, I'm not normal.

TIL Woodrow Wilson suffered a severe stroke and through the last 17 months his wife determined what was important enough for husband to look at and may have actually made many of the decisions for him.

TIL likewise didn't do well in High School History

*Limeaid @#$. Autocorrect

Edited by /dev/null

Knew about the stroke and failing of effort on League of Nations due to declining health but not how much of an influence his wife, one he married while in office, had on him. I read a number of Wilson's papers in college and he was a brilliant man before he got to White House - even comparing him to your level.

I'm just surprised...I thought it was common knowledge that Edith Wilson was our first female President.

Sometimes I forget that, as a Clavenesque storehouse of completely useless trivia, I'm not normal.

Don't worry, Cliff. It's not completely useless! It does help to point out how Abby Normal you are.

Some sailors on the battleships at Pearl Harbor lasted as long as three weeks in cut-off, underwater compartments.

Unfortunately, they weren't found until three months later. But they lasted three weeks, in cold, dark, underwater compartments, with no food, licking condensation off the overhead piping, waiting for the air to run out. Must have been hell on earth.

looking at designing a new implement for my tractor. i know how clutches work and differentials, etc. but its always fun seeing this.

I'm fairly mechanical, but gears are their own animal. It's it's own science with ratios, run out, tooth to tooth composite, etc.....i wish I knew more.

Some sailors on the battleships at Pearl Harbor lasted as long as three weeks in cut-off, underwater compartments.

Unfortunately, they weren't found until three months later. But they lasted three weeks, in cold, dark, underwater compartments, with no food, licking condensation off the overhead piping, waiting for the air to run out. Must have been hell on earth.

That is truly horrific

CBF