Steve Christie Calling out Bills FO

Here is the deal. You treat your former players, especially the great ones, with an open door policy. If Jim Kelly offers to help Tyrod, you say "great, come on in".

Ed Reed did wonders for the communication problems on defense last year.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here is the deal. You treat your former players, especially the great ones, with an open door policy. If Jim Kelly offers to help Tyrod, you say "great, come on in".

Right, to hell with the coaches who are actually paid to, you know, coach. Let's have an open door where any former player can come in and get in the middle of things! Sounds like a great way to run a program. I'm sure the coaches will love it.

When you don't, you look like my New York Knicks, who have done a terrible job honoring the players of the past, over the past few years. Bridging the past with the present is called "healthy"

There's a point in which you honor your former players, and there's a point in which you let them interfere with team operations because they are who they are. In my opinion, it is not appropriate and rarely works out. That is what the coaches they hire are for. If they want to hire Christie as a kicking coach and he's qualified to do it then sure, but that determination is up to Whaley, not sympathetic fans who will turn on Christie the second Carpenter misses another extra point.

When you don't, you look like my New York Knicks, who have done a terrible job honoring the players of the past, over the past few years. Bridging the past with the present is called "healthy"

Wow, your lack of understanding on this issue is immense. Honoring former greats is not the same thing as inviting them to get in the way of your coaches.

First of all, Christie is an outsider. Anyone that is not employed by the Buffalo Bills currently is an outsider, technically.

Second, Carpenter was released. He, too, is now an outsider. Christie no longer needs to "help", as far as the Bills are concerned. If he wants to help Carpenter, he can. All he needs to do is contact Dan, and see what he thinks. That has absolutely nothing to do with the Bills.

This comes out now, after the fact, not before Carpenter was let go, or during the previous two down years for him.

Whaley may have done some questionable things as GM, but this should reflect negatively on Christie and Christie only, yet people want to twist this into some Whaley rage. Color me shocked.

Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat

Yeah Obviously a non story, I mean no media is spinning cycles on this non story and the Bills are not forced to address a non story.

OOOO wait nevermind.

Cause you know someone that Kicked in Buffalo for 9 years and dealt with the weather for 9 years would have NOTHING to offer Carp, only Crossman knows laughable

So you think Whaley should be making personnel decisions based on the whims of former players?

Some of the stuff like what ? Really? Christie has credibility ? I guess Carpenter didn't want the help either he had 4-5 yrs to get help from Christie. If coaches can't do their job ? replace them OMG you Whaley haters are unreal. Listen ; Wgr and that listening audience need to understand that he is not going anywhere period. The owners can see he is a very good talent evaluator period. With no salary cap he signed two pro-bowl players in Alexander & Brown off the heap... I wish the last 4 past GM's could have done that.

Did you lose a fight to your keyboard?

Also, bringing up Lorenzo Alexander to defend Whaley in this thread is a stretch. There are some quality things about Whaley, but striking gold on an aging ST player is pure dumb luck.

Did you lose a fight to your keyboard?

Also, bringing up Lorenzo Alexander to defend Whaley in this thread is a stretch. There are some quality things about Whaley, but striking gold on an aging ST player is pure dumb luck.

Ok then EJ Manuel was dumb bad luck.

Wow, your lack of understanding on this issue is immense. Honoring former greats is not the same thing as inviting them to get in the way of your coaches.

Let me explain. In my line of work, there are always former employees that come back around from time to time to say hello. Some of them were there for years. When they give me advice or share their past job stories, I listen. It isn't threatening to my boss that they come around from time to time and it isn't threatening to me to listen to them.

From Christie's FB page, 5 minutes ago.

First of all, I certainly didn't expect such a response to my Dan Carpenter post. I am humbled by all your support!! I wish Dan the very best and will continue to support our Bills. This was not intended to be an attack on the GM, or the coaching staff, but having been cut myself a few times, it's not easy. I truly felt that Dan had more than enough talent to turn things around before it came to this. I was not vying for a coaching position either- I'm just part of the kicking fraternity wanting to help a fellow man. Go Bills!!

This to me reads much less like, "get in the way of the coaching staff" and a lot more like, "hey, let me talk to the kid."

I think this a non-story, but it makes no sense to call Christie an outsider and refuse to let him have a meeting with Carpenter just to talk shop. I feel like there was a way to make all parties happy in this situation.

Ok then EJ Manuel was dumb bad luck.

Huh?

Let me explain. In my line of work, there are always former employees that come back around from time to time to say hello. Some of them were there for years. When they give me advice or share their past job stories, I listen. It isn't threatening to my boss that they come around from time to time and it isn't threatening to me to listen to them.

When your boss is going to fire you, he might have a problem with a former employee trying to override him because said former employee thinks you can be a pet project and be improved.

This to me reads much less like, "get in the way of the coaching staff" and a lot more like, "hey, let me talk to the kid."

I think this a non-story, but it makes no sense to call Christie an outsider and refuse to let him have a meeting with Carpenter just to talk shop. I feel like there was a way to make all parties happy in this situation.

Huh?

​If Lorenzo Alexander was just pure dumb luck and had nothing to do with evaluating talent then EJ Manuel was just a fluke or pure dumb bad luck. Bad analogy I know, but to chalk things like that up to "dumb luck" is dumb. Whaley has always shown a higher aptitude in evaluating LB/CB/DB talent.

Edited by What a Tuel

Hard to believe that Christie would have to go through the GM just to "talk shop" with Carpenter...

So you think Whaley should be making personnel decisions based on the whims of former players?

I think if a former Kicker wants to talk to the Current Kicker The GM should stay the f out of it and let the conversation happen if Carp wants it

Where did I ever say Whaley should listen to former players on personnel moves.

Edited by MAJBobby