Wood Salary Cap Cut? Sign Groy?

Bocephuz

Robyn Mundy from BillsWire wrote this piece..

http://billswire.usatoday.com/2017/02/21/if-ryan-groy-re-signs-with-bills-could-eric-wood-become-expendable/

Should Whaley cut Wood? Should he replace him with Ryan Groy?

In my opinion this is a no brainer.

• Wood is currently the 8th highest paid center at 6.35 mil/ year average.
  • According to Spotrac low- end centers get paid ~ $2mil/year. I think a 3 year deal averaging ~$2 mil/year with no guaranteed money would win us Groy's services saving the Bills ~$4 mil in cap space along the way
  • Wood is a great character guy/leader but there was literally no drop off in play when he broke his leg and Groy stepped in.
  • Wood is on the wrong side of 30
  • There are some decent Centers/Guards available in the later rounds (John Toth) and even in the earlier rounds if we want (Pat Elefin) that would be much cheaper long term options if Groy doesn't pan out
  • In general .. an NFL team shouldn't be paying a premium for Centers
Edited by Bocephuz

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The importance of a good contract/cap person has never been greater. Committing long term to guys who either aren't elite or knuckleheads not only ruins your cap but forces you to cut or restructure the same player due to your own poor contract construction. I dont get a warm and fuzzy feeling that Whaley has much command in this department and Overdorf is left on his own to poorly structure these contracts.

I feel that you can pay handsomely a C if you don't have at least anot average QB, to aide in line calls and pre-play reading the defense... but if you have that average or better QB, you both don't need that premium C, and can't afford him once you're paying that QB.

The problem arises when you pay a quarterback that might not meet the standard all of that money, and in doing so, lose the players around him that were safety nets that made the QB seem average.

The importance of a good contract/cap person has never been greater. Committing long term to guys who either aren't elite or knuckleheads not only ruins your cap but forces you to cut or restructure the same player due to your own poor contract construction. I dont get a warm and fuzzy feeling that Whaley has much command in this department and Overdorf is left on his own to poorly structure these contracts.

Overdorf and Whaley have Buffalo's cap situation among the bottom quarter of the league with poor depth across the board.

I doubt regardless of who the HC is they can continue the spending pace they started in 2015 and still be a .500 team. Something's gotta give and it'll likely happen this season.

This all depends on the QB situation. If TT's option is not picked up, and we don't sign a high price replacement, there will be no need to make a decision on him till post June 1 st cut time. If we choose to get a lower priced bridge QB, we will have more than enough cap space to fill out our roster. We can get a quality replacement in FA for Gilmore and Woods for significantly less cap space. We can get a FA RT and resign the other FAs we want, if we don't have TT's overpriced contract for what is a essentially bridge QB position. We could draft a WR high, a QB in the 2nd, and a Safety high and the team will be headed in a positive direction. We can wait to see what to do about Wood, there would be no hurry. Taking the option on TT or signing a high price QB for essentially a bridge QB position would force us to gut our team. And cutting Wood and others like (KW) would be required to field a competitive team, considering our cap situation.

Restructure Wood & keep him as a back up center & guard. He played guard his 1st yr with the Bills. If he doesn't want to restructure cut him loose & let him test the market.

he is marginally better, historically, at least than groy. He also sucked at guard.

I would prefer to keep Groy and let Wood walk. I am not convinced after watching Wood for his entire career that he is above average at C. He is average at best.

As others have mentioned here, I don't think C is the position to pay above average salaries for.

I'd rather restructure Glenn and Dareus...saw an article the other day that showed they could be restructured and save between $15 - $17 mil just by giving some of the $$ as signing bonus...

That just kicks the can down the road though. You open cap space now and lessen cap space in the future. It's certainly an option if they want to keep TT, Gilmore and do a little shopping. Otherwise, I'd bite the bullet and eat the cap space now to be more flexible in the future.