Are the Bills a talented team?

dave mcbride

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top 100 averages to a little over 3 players. As someone else pointed out two of their three best missed significant playing time last year. You can make an argument for Sammy, Marcel, Shady, Richie, Cordy, and Kyle being included. That is six players, so I would argue the Bills have talent. Gilmore and Hughes have played at top 100 level in the past too.

However they have bottom 100 production from starters at RT, MLB, WR#2-4, both safeties, and to some degree TE.

PFF is okay compared to the alternatives and typically I think that they do a pretty good job with the OL. It is just a bit subjective. If I understand their process they basically watch every play of a particular player and grade it. The problem is that there are so many other moving parts (scheme, talent around them, score, down and distance, etc...) in addition to varying opinions on what was good or bad. They certainly have some players that they like and others that they don't. It is a decent tool but has some serious flaws.

I agree. They do play favorites.

Yeah, I think it also needs to be said that there is a difference between talent and performance.

Talented, yes.

Talent is like energy, however. The IT is about turning potential to kinetic.

That's where the separation exists.

Good way of putting it.

Players frequently under perform because of poor coaching and lack of inspiration. We've been there and done that far too often. Of course you need talent but a big salary can make good players comfortable and passive. The talent needs to be developed and the fires need to be stoked. Good coaches are capable of making less than stellar teams winners. We can only hope when it comes to the new regime. Of course, consistently good quarterbacking is a must. But that's another story.

The Bills ARE talented. Not supremely so but right in that 10-15 area league wide. The reason a lot of our players were not ranked high is the moronic coaching staff didn't do a good enough job putting them in position to make enough plays.

I definitely wouldn't put them that high. Take a random team like, i don't know, tampa bay and compare. I certainly think TB has more talent than the Bills. The Bills aren't devoid of talent, but i think they really have only 4 players with elite potential--watkins, dareus, mccoy, and incognito. Gilmore is close to having this potential but he's a "not quite" guy for me. The rest all hover slightly above, below, or squarely on the JAG-dom line.

It is an interesting question. I have read a lot this offseason about all the holes the Bills have on defense. All Season we read about how awful Rex was. Is it the former or the latter ? Probably a little of both but that is the nfl. It is a game of whack a more. You try to put as many quality players as possible on the field knowing it is impossible to have above the margin players at every position. This is why the qb is so important. With a very good qb you can cover up a lot of short comings. WIth an average or as the Bills have now a below average qb you need very strong play out of every other player on the field.

I definitely wouldn't put them that high. Take a random team like, i don't know, tampa bay and compare. I certainly think TB has more talent than the Bills. The Bills aren't devoid of talent, but i think they really have only 4 players with elite potential--watkins, dareus, mccoy, and incognito. Gilmore is close to having this potential but he's a "not quite" guy for me. The rest all hover slightly above, below, or squarely on the JAG-dom line.

I think we have more talent than Tampa. I rate Gilmore higher than you and I rate Cordy Glenn higher than you obviously. Plus I was and remain a big Shaq Lawson guy.

I think what Tampa do have is a young Quarterback who is going to be great and that covers many ills and means I would be willing to swap places with them. Similar applies to Tennessee.

PFF is still the outfit that hires any idiot to simply watch tape and assign a grade to a player's "activity" without any idea of the play concept, player responsibilities, scheme, or game situation -- right?

Shady McCoy not appearing on a list of the top 100 players in the NFL -- based solely upon his play in 2016 -- renders said list indefensible.

The Bills best two players, Sammy Watkins and Marcel Dareus, have been injured or suspended. In Dareus's case Rex decided he would play nose tackle instead of attack the QB. In Watkins case he has constantly been injured and even when healthy the Bills never throw the ball to him.

Kyle is one of best players but he is nearing the end and could retire soon.

Our best corner could be leaving in free agency and our best safety also could retire.

No, at this point we don't have enough.

This season, when he showed up, he was targeted almost 7 times a game. Last year it was 8 times a game. Larry Fitzgerald gets less than 10 a game.

This season, when he showed up, he was targeted almost 7 times a game. Last year it was 8 times a game. Larry Fitzgerald gets less than 10 a game.

Sammy Watkins ranks #51 in targets per game for WRs. Larry Fitzgerald ranks #10. You can make the 2.8 targets per game difference seem small, but it is pretty big in reality.