Are the Bills a talented team?

dave mcbride

I think we have more talent than Tampa. I rate Gilmore higher than you and I rate Cordy Glenn higher than you obviously. Plus I was and remain a big Shaq Lawson guy.

I think what Tampa do have is a young Quarterback who is going to be great and that covers many ills and means I would be willing to swap places with them. Similar applies to Tennessee.

IMO the Bills have clearly had top 15 talent for a number of years now and even had perhaps top 5 talent going into the 2015 season.

They've had a real lack of synergy due to poor stewardship.

A guy like Marcel Dareus could be a DPOY and I wouldn't be surprised if Watkins turned into a top 3 WR in the NFL........they are rare talents who just didn't put it together the past 2 years but still young.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO the Bills have clearly had top 15 talent for a number of years now and even had perhaps top 5 talent going into the 2015 season.

A guy like Marcel Dareus could be a DPOY and I wouldn't be surprised if Watkins turned into a top 3 WR in the NFL........they are rare talents who just didn't put it together the past 2 years but still young.

Agree. As my previous post said.... I think 4 of the last 5 years the Bills had enough to be a playoff team. 2013 being the one exception when they ditched quite a lot of the defense and started a rookie QB.

This suggest that they are not. I know many feel that they are talented, but with only one player ranked in the top 100 -- at #98 (Incognito) -- this sorta confirms my belief that their talent level is highly overrated by many fans. I realize that a strong argument can made for McCoy being on this list.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-top-101-players-from-the-2016-nfl-season/

(Also, note that Jason Peters is still pretty dominant.)

If we're not a talented team, then the GM and not the HC should have received the blame. We should have fired Whaley and not Rex.

But if we think the roster is talented but Rex didn't know how to best utilize his roster, then we fired the right man. And the Pegulas were right for keeping DW.

The list is the opposite of crap. It's well thought and applies real metrics. It doesn't mean it's 100 percent correct, however. I'm guessing you didn't read it ...

I read it and the list is crap. Brandon Graham and Eric Weddle in the top 10, but McCoy is not listed at all? Yeah, oooooook. 👍

I think we have more talent than Tampa. I rate Gilmore higher than you and I rate Cordy Glenn higher than you obviously. Plus I was and remain a big Shaq Lawson guy.

I think what Tampa do have is a young Quarterback who is going to be great and that covers many ills and means I would be willing to swap places with them. Similar applies to Tennessee.

How you think Shaqs gonna do next season? Im hoping he takes a big step forward bc our pass rush needs a replacement for Mario Williams circa before 2015.

I am a Bills fan. They are the best

:lol::lol:

nice.

First ... I'd say the Bills are moderately talented.

Secondly, the fact that McCoy isn't on the list makes the list pure crap.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Talented teams make the playoffs and the Bills haven't for 17 years and counting. Keep making excuses and deny reality. It is what it is. An inferior product that we still buy into because we love our Bills.

yep

Current Bills talent is way over-rated by Bills fans.

I think a lot of this stems from the fact that we look much better than traditional Bills train wreck teams of the last generation, so people assume we must be talented.

Past Bills mediocrity isn't the benchmark to judge talent by.

I read it and the list is crap. Brandon Graham and Eric Weddle in the top 10, but McCoy is not listed at all? Yeah, oooooook.

People: Eric Weddle is a PHENOMONAL player. Do folks here actually watch other teams? He was great against the Bills in week one, for chrissake. My god. I mean, he's been an all-pro more than once, has been selected for the pro bowl many times, and he's likely the main reason the Baltimore D went from 24th in points allowed last year to 9th this season. They also went from 20th in defensive DVOA in 2015 to 6th in defensive DVOA this season too. Newsome targeted him last off season as the missing piece of the defensive puzzle.

If he played for the Bills, the critics here would all be planning their trips for his 2025 hall of fame induction.

Edited by dave mcbride

People: Eric Weddle is a PHENOMONAL player. Do folks here actually watch other teams? He was great against the Bills in week one, for chrissake. My god. I mean, he's been an all-pro more than once, has been selected for the pro bowl many times, and he's likely the main reason the Baltimore D went from 24th in points allowed last year to 9th this season. They also went from 20th in defensive DVOA in 2015 to 6th in defensive DVOA this season too. Newsome targeted him las off season as the missing piece of the defensive puzzle.

I like Weddle, I just don't see him as one of the league's 10 best players. I don't. And they have Brandon Graham ranked ahead of him? Seriously? Once I got through the first 10 alone I knew the list was crap.

I like Weddle, I just don't see him as one of the league's 10 best players. I don't. And they have Brandon Graham ranked ahead of him? Seriously? Once I got through the first 10 alone I knew the list was crap.

It's about 2016 and 2016 only. Brandon Graham was a monster this season, evidenced by his making the the AP All-Pro team. He was that good this past season.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/eagles/No-hes-not-Earl-Thomas-but-Brandon-Graham-is-a-very-good-player.html

I dunno, Badol. I look at the NFC East alone and see four teams that are clearly more talented than the Bills: philly, washington, ny, and dallas. Each has flaws, but not as many as the Bills. Edited by dave mcbride

It's about 2016 and 2016 only. Brandon Graham was a monster this season, evidenced by his making the the AP All-Pro team. He was that good this past season.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/eagles/No-hes-not-Earl-Thomas-but-Brandon-Graham-is-a-very-good-player.html

I dunno, Badol. I look at the NFC East alone and see four teams that are clearly more talented than the Bills: philly, washington, ny, and dallas. Each has flaws, but not as many as the Bills.

I see Dallas - yes.

Giants - yes.

Redskins - about the same.

Philly? Hell no.

Middle of the pack last season, but a tick above if injured and suspended players are included. With all of the FAs and uncertainty moving forward at some important positions I'd say they're a little below average right now. Obviously that could change with re-signings and new additions.

Edited by BarleyNY

When it comes to this topic I can't help but think of it another way. "Were the Bills a well-coached team?" I think that's a hard no with a couple of exceptions. I think Lynn did a decent job as did Kromer and Lal. Other than that they were very poorly coached. If we are saying that the Bills are top 10-15 in talent (which I think is fair) I don't think that they were top 28 in coaching.

One of my arguments for Whaley often is that the team had more talent than their record. Maybe they had 10 win talent and won 7. Some teams it's the other way around (the Giants come to mind for me). I think that it will seesaw a little the other way this year. I expect the talent to be a little worse and the coaching a lot better (even if it's just average).

Edited by Kirby Jackson

McDoomed inherits SOME talent, but it's really leadership that wins championships... Who are the leaders on our team?.... Who are the heart and soul guys that keep everyone motivated?....Who are the standard-bearers and examples of excellence?

Without definitive answers to these questions, we're headed for a 4-win season TOPS... Here's hoping we have a killer draft!

Sure the team has talent. However, I don't believe this team scares anyone. I would venture to say when the schedule comes out opposing teams more often than not will circle in a win for their team. This team doesn't scare anyone because they aren't that good. Various reasons for that. Poor coaching, lack of cohesiveness, poor game planning and adjustments, no franchise QB, lack of WR talent, weak safeties, average LB, lack of pass rush, always have injuries and lack of depth, etc...You get the picture. Hate to be a downer but some people here amaze me with their assessment of this team.

I beg to differ with you BADAL. I'll take Tampa Bay team over Buffalo's roster in a heart beat.