Bills have 2 days to trade TT/No cap hit

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The trade window opens for the trade to actually happen when the new league year starts, but teams can negotiate trade parameters for players that will be under contract prior to that. The only snag is that it is a moot point since no other team will take on Taylor's contract.

The trade window opens for the trade to actually happen when the new league year starts, but teams can negotiate trade parameters for players that will be under contract prior to that. The only snag is that it is a moot point since no other team will take on Taylor's contract.

A starting QB for 15MM/yr? Don't be so sure.

I wouldn't be so sure. If Tyrod is outright released, there looks to be a flurry of suitors that will be fighting over him. It would certainly behoove team with multiple draft picks (e.g., Cleveland) to make a trade to ensure that he doesn't hit the open market. I could see it happening.

Yeah, I don't think it's a given that no team will pick up TT's contract. However, the trade market for him is probably weak because of the perception that the Bills will likely dump him. The market for TT is a great unknown.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/tyrod-taylor-7899/

At no point would Taylor's extension be that cheap. He starts off very, very expensive and then the yearly average compensation drops off, but never gets that low. Here is a quick breakdown:

Year 1 - $30.75M

Year 2 - $20.25M/yr

Year 3 - $18.0M/yr

Year 4 - $17.0 M/yr

Year 5 - $16.5M/yr

Disclaimer: Those compensation averages are not the same as the yearly cap hits and do not include the signing bonus paid to Taylor in 2016.

The obvious problem with this contract is that a team would have to committed to having Taylor as their long term starter to make the deal close to worthwhile. Add draft pick compensation to that and nobody is trading for Taylor.

At no point would Taylor's extension be that cheap. He starts off very, very expensive and then the yearly average compensation drops off, but never gets that low. Here is a quick breakdown:

Year 1 - $30.75M

Year 2 - $20.25M/yr

Year 3 - $18.0M/yr

Year 4 - $17.0 M/yr

Year 5 - $16.5M/yr

Disclaimer: Those compensation averages are not the same as the yearly cap hits and do not include the signing bonus paid to Taylor in 2016.

The obvious problem with this contract is that a team would have to committed to having Taylor as their long term starter to make the deal close to worthwhile. Add draft pick compensation to that and nobody is trading for Taylor.

Are those contract dollars or guaranteed dollars?

Yeah, I don't think it's a given that no team will pick up TT's contract. However, the trade market for him is probably weak because of the perception that the Bills will likely dump him. The market for TT is a great unknown.

True. Normally a QB that will be released has no trade value. But, as Johnny H, pointed out, if there are multiple teams interested, trading for him gives you the advantage over other suitors.

True. Normally a QB that will be released has no trade value. But, as Johnny H, pointed out, if there are multiple teams interested, trading for him gives you the advantage over other suitors.

I have heard that the Bills would be in line for a 3d round compensatory pick if they do not pick up the option and TT signs with another team. (Not sure if that would be in '17 or '18 draft.) If true, that is likely a consideration.

Both. I factored guaranteed dollars into the season they became guaranteed. Non-guaranteed money is factored into the season it would be earned. The only difference is $3.25M of his 2018 salary guarantees this season if his option is picked up. That's the only contract money that is guaranteed in a season in which it isn't paid.

I have heard that the Bills would be in line for a 3d round compensatory pick if they do not pick up the option and TT signs with another team. (Not sure if that would be in '17 or '18 draft.) If true, that is likely a consideration.

This would be true of almost every situation like this, but it appears that there is a clause in his contract that requires his release by the team rather than just becoming a free agent when his option is not picked up. Details are sketchy so I'm not sure, but there are reports that this is the case.

Year 1 - $30.75M

Year 2 - $20.25M/yr

Year 3 - $18.0M/yr

Year 4 - $17.0 M/yr

Year 5 - $16.5M/yr

Ahem.

If you are using sportrac numbers you linked you are about $17M long on your 5 year total. :flirt:

It was a 5 year $90M deal but $4.3M was added into last years pay.

It's basically a $17M per year deal over the next 5 years......not $20.5M per as your numbers would suggest.

That's more than $15M but if considered spread over 6 years his compensation would have averaged $15.5M per........which is where that number came from.

Edited by #BADOL

I would think his trade value would be atleast as much as garapolo whos barely played and the pats want a first rounder for him, plus bradford got a first rounder who i also think is about the same level

The Pats want a first rounder for Garoppolo. Doesn't mean they'll get it.

And more to the point, Tyrod's contract is wildly more difficult to absorb than Garoppolo's would be. Contracts are absolutely a major part of trades. Whatever team gets Garoppolo would have another year to evaluate him and then either cut him or sign him to a contract they themselves found acceptable. A team trading for Tyrod will be acquiring that $30.5 mill guarantee if he's on the roster three days after the league year starts and $40.5 mill if he's on the roster the same day a year later. That will make it harder to trade Tyrod.

What is the cap hit if they trade him this year after they pick up the option?

$15.5 mill - his option bonus to be paid this year, the first day of the league year, so they'd already have paid it

plus

$2.853 mill - the portion of his 2016 amortized Buffalo Bills signing bonus that hasn't yet hit the cap

----------------------------

$18.353 mill - total

I notice this has already been answered but thought the details might be a bit interesting.

And what is the cap hit for the team that signed him?

Depends how long they keep him. If they released him the next day, $12 mill. If they keep him for the remainder of his contract, the contract total minus the $18.35 mill.

Go here:

But basically, when you say that the Bills cap hit would be $18.35 mill, you're saying the Bills won't do that. Not in the cap environment they're in.

As pointed out above, they could make the trade in the two-day window and not have to pay the option. But making that trade also will likely be very difficult. I doubt they'll find a taker. Or if they do, they won't get much, IMHO. If his contract had been less, they might have gotten quite a bit, but teams are unlikely to want to pay a lot of draft picks to get the privilege of paying a lot of money.

Edited by Thurman#1

Ahem.

If you are using sportrac numbers you linked you are about $17M long on your 5 year total. :flirt:

It was a 5 year $90M deal but $4.3M was added into last years pay.

It's basically a $17M per year deal over the next 5 years......not $20.5M per as your numbers would suggest.

That's more than $15M but if considered spread over 6 years his compensation would have averaged $15.5M per........which is where that number came from.

I used raw numbers moving forward starting this season. Only money paid and money that becomes guaranteed this season forward in my calculations. Everything in my post is correct.