Bills met this week about Taylor; it may be up to McDermott

YoloinOhio

We need to get a QB better than Tyrod. In the meantime, the only reason to not have Tyrod is if it financially allows you to be better.

I'm not sure who the QB better than Tyrod in 2017 is. Watson? I like the idea, and could take some lumps if he is a possibility for a bright future. Romo? Clearly better than Tyrod when healthy, a great buy low opportunity. But I don't see another option right now, and I don't think the idea of intentionally getting worse is how this NFL works with many Brees, Brady, Rodgers not at the top of the draft and plenty of Jamarcus Russells and Akili Smiths at the top. Play to win and draft smart.

Play to win means Tyrod right now, and only a new addition or a big plan to get better with the money saved would push me away, even though I agree that he does not have the vision or accuracy to be an elite QB, and needs to be a stopgap. I don't mind pursuing 10-6 with Tyrod, even if we know the 13-3 will have to come from someone else not yet drafted.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is absolutely no new information in that article.

Thank you. It's a fluff piece by Vic during a slow news period, again with the nebulous "Whaley was ready to move on from Tyrod" commentary. Of course the HC and OC are going to have significant input into the decision.

The article could have been one line -- the new Bills staff are evaluating personnel and will make a decision on Tyrod by March 11.

But of course that wouldn't satisfy Vic's copy requirements.

PFF ranks Tyrod Taylor No. 1 available* QB this offseason

Pro Football Focus' Sam Monson wrote a column recently that identified Taylor as the "top target" of teams needing a quarterback this offseason.

"The Bills structured Taylor’s contract in such a way that there is a significant financial incentive not to keep him, because they have to hand him over $25 million in cash if he remains with Buffalo for the 2017 season," Monson wrote. "The deal itself still only averages out at around $16 million per year over the first three seasons of his extension – which Taylor is clearly worth in the current market – but the fact that it’s so heavily weighted in cash terms for this coming season means there’s a decent chance they balk and cut him loose.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/02/08/pff-ranks-tyrod-taylor-no-1-available-qb-offseason/

Thank you. It's a fluff piece by Vic during a slow news period, again with the nebulous "Whaley was ready to move on from Tyrod" commentary. Of course the HC and OC are going to have significant input into the decision.

The article could have been one line -- the new Bills staff are evaluating personnel and will make a decision on Tyrod by March 11.

But of course that wouldn't satisfy Vic's copy requirements.

The decision to keep TT or not is McDermott's and his staff's. They've evaluated every snap TT has taken as a starter, much of that done with TT's input. Their decision will inform Whaley's and Monos' current pursuits of other possible QB candidates. They have been active in kicking tires in the meantime, as well they should.

The decision to keep TT or not is McDermott's and his staff's. They've evaluated every snap TT has taken as a starter, much of that done with TT's input. Their decision will inform Whaley's and Monos' current pursuits of other possible QB candidates. They have been active in kicking tires in the meantime, as well they should.

interesting. Do you know if TT actually watches the film with them? I know he's there rehabbing.

So Whaley doesn't have control of the 90. Interesting.

My hope is that they get a new deal worked out with Tyrod and retain him.

If they let Tyrod go I think the chances that McDermott turns into a "bridge HC" multiply exponentially.......at least tenfold.

The QB options in FA are poor........Romo is perhaps the largest injury risk QB ever available(if available) when you combine his past 5 years injury record, his age and his cap/salary cost.

Lot's of big arms and athletes in the QB class but the odds are that from a group of 6-8 physical talents........only 1-2 from this draft will ever even reach the effectiveness of Tyrod RIGHT NOW.

Being a middle of the league QB.....even just in the 16th-17th overall range...... in a league where you have stars who were drafted 16-17 YEARS AGO...... speaks to the fact that the league is lucky to even get a couple good ones from a draft.

The Bills haven't had back to back production years from a QB like they have with Tyrod since Flutie/Johnson 1998-1999.......and that took two polar opposite styles complementing each others play just to get there.

And they haven't had an offense score like this in 25 years.

I understand that Tyrod isn't ideal but I hope McDermott is smart enough to keep Tyrod and then hopefully Tyrod can either improve or be surpassed by a young star QB via competition rather than play the sink-or-swim game again.

New coaches are unpredictable though.....they all have a plan until they start losing games.

We clearly don't covet Taylor or a decision would have been made already. Other teams such as the Vikings, Broncos, and Jets would. That is why we need to do a sign and trade type of deal. I would almost guarantee one of those teams would give us a second rounder. They would also certainly take on a contract that pays him an average of 16 million over the next 3 years considering what else is out there.

we will watch taylor go 10-6 or better with another team if we let him go, also we will suffer with the next ej or lossman going 6-10 when it could have been us going 10-6 next year and beyond. Tyrod has a dynamic no qb out there has (his mobility and calmness) and his weakness (missing open wr's, using the middle) i believe is an easy fix w better coaching and experience.

REMEMBER 2001

what I never saw with Rob Johnson was courage, intelligence accuracy or anything for that matter aside from arm strength, if a new coaching regime was willing to keep that loser who had won like 6 games in his career, im sure mcD would be willing to take a winner like taylor while we find the next franchise QB.

We clearly don't covet Taylor or a decision would have been made already. Other teams such as the Vikings, Broncos, and Jets would. That is why we need to do a sign and trade type of deal. I would almost guarantee one of those teams would give us a second rounder. They would also certainly take on a contract that pays him an average of 16 million over the next 3 years considering what else is out there.

agree and i like your pic, your hot is that really you, can i have your number? Are you a man or a woman, the pic leaves it to the imagination.

Vic loses credibility here:

"In fact, there was a push for rookie quarterback Cardale Jones to supplant Taylor as the starter for the final three or four games of the season, even though the Bills had yet to be mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. Coach Rex Ryan and offensive coordinator Anthony Lynn were said to have pushed back hard enough for Taylor to remain in the No. 1 role."

He is saying that Whaley pushed to have Cardale start the last 3 or 4 games.

Yet, when Whaley was asked about it after the Jet's game in his press conference, Whaley said that if the Bills were still in the playoff hunt, then Tyrod would have started against the Jets.

That pretty much contradicts what Vic is suggesting.

It doesn't. New information about the injury could have changed the way they looked at things.

New info about something else ... or Whaley could have been describing what would have happened based on the thinking of the guy in control ... maybe he'd heard Lynn say that. Who knows, really.

Also, EJ starting the last game. If they were pushing for Cardale to start before then, he would've started the last game.

If Whaley made the decision - not Lynn or someone else - that last game on which of the two remaining guys would start. And the article doesn't say who made that decision.

Edited by Thurman#1

According to Vic Carucci of the Buffalo News, Tyrod Taylor is not open to a contract restructure.

I expect the Bills to move on if TT isn't willing to restructure the current contract, as in they should. If that's the case then hopefully they can trade him for some kind of return, whatever that may be. If they can't trade for a valid QB like Brees, Rivers etc etc then acquiring a bridge QB like Romo, Cutler, McCown etc etc would be the next logical expectation until they can draft a franchise QB in this year's draft or next. The Bills are in a better position than most QB needy teams due to our strong rushing offense.

Edited by Tipster19

I expect the Bills to move on if TT isn't willing to restructure the current contract, as in they should. If that's the case then hopefully they can trade him for some kind of return, whatever that may be. If they can't trade for a valid QB like Brees, Rivers etc etc then acquiring a bridge QB like Romo, Cutler, McCown etc etc would be the next logical expectation until they can draft a franchise QB in this year's draft or next. The Bills are in a better position than most QB needy teams due to our strong rushing offense.

You guys need to give up the trade notion. That's not happening.

Paying Tyrod $5M more per season than he has shown he's worth may be unappealing but McDermott is likely toast in 2 seasons if Taylor leaves.

That money is trivial in the context of the VERY expensive process of changing coach, GM, schemes and players to fit the new schemes.

Going to be hard to get a veteran team with a history of quitting to change their stripes and be all-in with the organization intentionally going with Cardale or a rookie.