Bills met this week about Taylor; it may be up to McDermott

YoloinOhio

Who said the defense needs to be top 5?

The defense is better already with Rob and Rex out. They have talent to be a top 15 defense all around without any additions, IMO.

They can afford both Tyrod and Gilmore.

I expect some players to be better. Dareus will do better. But others don't fit the scheme. Our linebackers are a mess. We have no safeties. Gilmore is a FA. Will McDermott call the plays? He doesn't know!

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't care about money paid out. I care about money paid that counts against the cap.

I don't see the defense getting to top 5 with no room in the cap and another change in scheme.

well we have a draft with a lot of defensive talent. hooker and adams are seen as immediate pro bowlers. grab one and sign gilmore along with going back to the 4-3 all these guys were successful with and no reason this defense isn't top 5 again.

well we have a draft with a lot of defensive talent. hooker and adams are seen as immediate pro bowlers. grab one and sign gilmore along with going back to the 4-3 all these guys were successful with and no reason this defense isn't top 5 again.

That's incredibly optimistic. We had a bottom defense last year and it's not all on Rex. The scheme change requires a certain type of linebacker. Preston Brown and Ragland, who's the mike? Zach Brown is a free agent. Are you signing him?

We don't even know who is calling the plays yet and you say we are top 5?!

That's incredibly optimistic. We had a bottom defense last year and it's not all on Rex. The scheme change requires a certain type of linebacker. Preston Brown and Ragland, who's the mike? Zach Brown is a free agent. Are you signing him?

We don't even know who is calling the plays yet and you say we are top 5?!

absolutely on rex and rob. they were top 5 2 years ago. enter in shaq, ragland and 2 pro bowl safeties plus brown. I think top ten for sure top five is possible. all depends on health and such. just getting the plays into the guys on time will bump us up probably 5 spots. lol

absolutely on rex and rob. they were top 5 2 years ago. enter in shaq, ragland and 2 pro bowl safeties plus brown. I think top ten for sure top five is possible. all depends on health and such. just getting the plays into the guys on time will bump us up probably 5 spots. lol

Hey, I like the optimism. Won't try to dissuade you. I have no idea what Shaq will do but he is a better 4-3 end than an oversized linebacker!

Who said the defense needs to be top 5?

The defense is better already with Rob and Rex out. They have talent to be a top 15 defense all around without any additions, IMO.

They can afford both Tyrod and Gilmore.

If the decision is between keeping Tyrod and Zach Brown or Gilmore you go with Tyrod.

And the cap will continue to increase year after year.

Exactly. TT isn't going to get worse, and for all the ..."he's mediocre" blah blah, ...."he can't throw over the middle of the field" blah blah,..."he's too expensive"...blah blah.. For all that nonsense the guy led the team to 25.9 points per game. And that's amazing considering the D and ST over the final 10 games did next to nothing to set the offense up in great field position, let alone score a bunch of points. His threat to run is a huge help for the running game.

Guess what folks...people rail on Whaley for not drafting Russell Wilson. Meanwhile Jeff Fisher this year said TT was another Russell Wilson. Pete Carroll said TT was as big a threat as RW. WE basically HAVE Russell Wilson 2.0 here. Seattle only averaged 22.1 points per game this season. So why do people want to start over and push TT out of town? The team is stupid if they let him walk without a guaranteed better QB to replace him.

You let Tyrod walk and start Cardale or some draft pick, like others have said...be prepared for about 18 points per game average (if lucky) and a 4-12 record.

Edited by zow2

Exactly. TT isn't going to get worse, and for all the ..."he's mediocre" blah blah, ...."he can't throw over the middle of the field" blah blah,..."he's too expensive"...blah blah.. For all that nonsense the guy led the team to 25.9 points per game. And that's amazing considering the D and ST over the final 10 games did next to nothing to set the offense up in great field position, let alone score a bunch of points. His threat to run is a huge help for the running game.

Guess what folks...people rail on Whaley for not drafting Russell Wilson. Meanwhile Jeff Fisher this year said TT was another Russell Wilson. Pete Carroll said TT was as big a threat as RW. WE basically HAVE Russell Wilson 2.0 here. Seattle only averaged 22.1 points per game this season. So why do people want to start over and push TT out of town? The team is stupid if they let him walk without a guaranteed better QB to replace him.

You let Tyrod walk and start Cardale or some draft pick, like others have said...be prepared for about 18 points per game average (if lucky) and a 4-12 record.

Tyrod Taylor is not Russell Wilson. If he was the Bills would have already picked up his option and there would be no "evaluation" or discussion needed.

Tyrod Taylor is not Russell Wilson. If he was the Bills would have already picked up his option and there would be no "evaluation" or discussion needed.

just fyi seattle was lik 28th in passing the first 3 years rw was in league where they won a sb and lost won.

just fyi seattle was lik 28th in passing the first 3 years rw was in league where they won a sb and lost won.

If you believe that Tyrod is Russell Wilson then I can understand why you want to keep him.

Tyrod cannot throw like Russell Wilson. They are not similar in their passing abilities.

If you believe that Tyrod is Russell Wilson then I can understand why you want to keep him.

Tyrod cannot throw like Russell Wilson. They are not similar in their passing abilities.

we can win with tyrods passing and running production. the year seattle won the sb they were 31st in passing attempts and 26th in yards. The talk back then was whether or not he was hurting the seahawks. They were winning games like 14-12 cause their defense was unreal. now that he has the big cap hit they are throwing a lot more. now tyrod hasn't been asked to throw more. can he keep or better his completion percentage?

I agree that he's NOT Russell Wilson, but TT has similar traits, that's all I'm saying. Yes, RW has proven to be a better passer ,,,,but he's also had better receiving options, a great running game in their hey day Super Bowl years and a fantastic defense.

This year, as their offensive talent has drifted more towards the middle of the pack, RW did not perform as well. His numbers are better of course because he threw 110 more passes than TT.

It's too logical to keep Tyrod which is why the Bills won't do it.

The Bills motto should be "!@#$ing up any good things we have year after year".

bills with TT 10-6 wild card

bills without TT 4-12

Guys .500 at best. Don't waste a penny on him.

Smoke em up guys.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

I think the distinction is a fine one. Many of the "anti-TT" people were TT fans just last year and the year before when he was making no money and we had the pieces on defense.

But I don't like TT at this point because I don't want to give him a pay raise when I think the Bills playoff window has closed. NFL teams, because of the cap and draft, have cycles. I just see the Bills on the downswing and that signals a time to rebuild and gather more picks.

A small point: Unless you are The Pegs, you're not giving TT a raise so why do you care? They just pissed away $25 mil on Wrecks w/o batting an eye in hopes of improving the team. If they think TT gives them the best shot for success right now, I doubt what it costs them will be an obstacle. They will find a way to make it work.

A small point: Unless you are The Pegs, you're not giving TT a raise so why do you care? They just pissed away $25 mil on Wrecks w/o batting an eye in hopes of improving the team. If they think TT gives them the best shot for success right now, I doubt what it costs them will be an obstacle. They will find a way to make it work.

Again, it's not the money. It's the money committed to the cap and the reduction of options to find a long term answer at QB.

Many here envy the Dolphins and their magical ride last year. They got some luck but are nowhere with Tannehill. They aren't winning anything with him there. As a fan, try to put yourself in your rival's shoes. If I was a Dolphin fan I would be much more scared if the Bills moved on from TT than kept him long term.

Edited by jeffismagic

Again, it's not the money. It's the money committed to the cap and the reduction of options to find a long term answer at QB.

Many here envy the Dolphins and their magical ride last year. They got some luck but are nowhere with Tannehill. They aren't winning anything with him there. As a fan, try to put yourself in your rival's shoes. If I was a Dolphin fan I would be much more scared if the Bills moved on from TT than kept him long term.

Any current NFL QB the Bills could sign is going to heavily impact the cap (I'm thinking current desperate fan faves Romo and Cutler) so the only way to lessen that is to cut TT and draft a QB. To me, that would be nuts. The only way that is remotely possible is if ownership, management and coaching are in agreement to live with a 2 to 4 win season in hopes of maybe getting Darnold. And maybe that is the plan. But if it's not, if they want to win now, then they take a deep breath and pick up TT's option.

Any current NFL QB the Bills could sign is going to heavily impact the cap (I'm thinking current desperate fan faves Romo and Cutler) so the only way to lessen that is to cut TT and draft a QB. To me, that would be nuts. The only way that is remotely possible is if ownership, management and coaching are in agreement to live with a 2 to 4 win season in hopes of maybe getting Darnold. And maybe that is the plan. But if it's not, if they want to win now, then they take a deep breath and pick up TT's option.

Foles or McCown will not heavily impact the cap.

And I understand there's the, "What about next year?"

I just want a plan in place where I can exceed Tyrod in 1.5 to 2 years and I want to start that plan now.

Foles or McCown will not heavily impact the cap.

And I understand there's the, "What about next year?"

I just want a plan in place where I can exceed Tyrod in 1.5 to 2 years and I want to start that plan now.

Signing Foles, McCown, Hoyer et al would be a clear indication the Bills aren't interested in winning now as none of them are an improvement over TT. And while they would somewhat reduce the cap hit, it would still be fairly substantial in the post Osweiler world. For the Bills, it's "Rock, meet Hard Place."

Signing Foles, McCown, Hoyer et al would be a clear indication the Bills aren't interested in winning now as none of them are an improvement over TT. And while they would somewhat reduce the cap hit, it would still be fairly substantial in the post Osweiler world. For the Bills, it's "Rock, meet Hard Place."

Mccown will not be anything close to TT money.

And you are correct, the Bills by moving on from TT might be looking at a game plan longer than the next season. Which would be refreshing as they have been doing it your way the last couple. Let's see how we can patch this craft up before the season deal.