The only Mahomes thread you need

Estro

I think Kizer has Bears written all over him.

I could see that too. My thinking was (if QBs are even a hot commodity early) Tru goes to them, with the 49ers taking Watson and the Jets taking a running back like Fournette, depending on how they feel with their QB situation. They need someone to replace Forte when he finally hangs it up. This would leave us to choose from Mahomes/Kizer.

Of course, all of these teams have picked up journeymen. None of them could take one. This will be a very interesting draft to watch.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could see that too. My thinking was (if QBs are even a hot commodity early) Tru goes to them, with the 49ers taking Watson and the Jets taking a running back like Fournette, depending on how they feel with their QB situation. They need someone to replace Forte when he finally hangs it up. This would leave us to choose from Mahomes/Kizer.

Of course, all of these teams have picked up journeymen. None of them could take one. This will be a very interesting draft to watch.

I can't see the Jets going RB, especially at 6. They know they are rebuilding from the ground floor up, a RB is a "we are a piece or two away" pick. I do think there's a decent chance Carolina takes a RB, they've valued RB early before and have stated they want to save the pounding on Cam. I believe Mixon is the wild card at RB that's really going to move things around. Talent wise he would likely be the first guy off the board, but since teams know he's very likely not going in the first it could allow them to wait on the other guys too. I also wouldn't be shocked to see Kamara go higher than people expect, the guy can play and tested off the charts.

Darnold is the wild card on these QBs as several teams could put off the QB pick thinking they'll be in a spot to get him next year (the Jets being the prime candidate of this approach), but the 49ers and Bears don't have any sort of young QB on the roster, I'd have to believe Shanahan wants a guy to groom and the Bears have been searching for the QB for generations.

I can't see the Jets going RB, especially at 6. They know they are rebuilding from the ground floor up, a RB is a "we are a piece or two away" pick.

My thinking is sort of like what we did when Rexy first showed up- got a journeyman QB in Cassel and got one of the best RBs in the league to help him out. They got McCown now, they might want to help him out.

Right now, QB-wise, I have:

Kizer to Chicago at 3

Trubisky to Cleveland at 12

Mahomes to Arizona at 13

Watson to Houston at 25

Cleveland gets paranoid about someone moving up to 10 to get Trub and gives us a 3rd to go from 12 to 10. Arizona gets worried about us moving down again and gives us a 4th to go from 12 to 13. Houston doesn't want to wait to get their guy and gives us a future 1st to go from 25 to 13. We still get one of Ross / Davis / Williams at 25 and get an extra 3rd / 4th / future 1st, loading up on DBs/linebackers with our other picks.

Kizer absolutely feels like the Bears. I've thought for a while that it feels like Watson - 49ers , Kizer - Bears, Trub - Jets with someone potentially moving up to 7-11 to get Mahomes ahead of the Browns pick at 12. The narrative has been written these QBs won't go top 10, but there's too big a need and plenty to like from each one, it's not like these teams are going to come out to the mock drafters and say "well actually, we want the QB".

I have a different take. I believe that the Bills will be in a position to select the first or second qb in this draft. It is unlikely that the Browns will use their first pick on a qb but it is quite possible that they do so with the 12th pick in the draft. Trubisky is their probable qb target.

If I were a gambler I would bet the house that the Bills do not use their first pick at the ten spot on a qb. They are freakishly afraid to use a high pick on a qb prospect. They are a lackluster organization that is comfortable staying within their small comfort zone. I say this with a great deal of disappointment.

You think Watson will fall that far?

Wow.

I don't see Watson getting past John Lynch.

Here's the thought process with Watson:

- I don't see SF going QB. I think with Solomon Thomas, Jamal Adams, Malik Hooker, and Marshon Lattimore on the board, there's too much elite defensive talent to pass. If they did take a QB, I think it would be Trubisky, because he fits what Shanahan likes to do.

- Chicago could go Watson, but since they've got Glennon in the fold, it would make the most sense to me that they'd pick the guy with the elite measurables and try to groom him to start

- Caldwell in Jax probably needs to win quickly, so adding a QB when they already have Bortles is likely a non-starter

- Tennesse has Mariota

- Jets are probably another team who's HC needs to win quickly, and having spent picks on Petty and Hackenberg, I figured they'd try to get an elite defensive playmaker at 6. Honestly, if there's a landing spot for Watson in the top 10, this is it IMO.

- SD would most likely take one of the safeties over a QB

- Carolina has Cam

- Cincinnati has Dalton and would probably pass

- Whaley has typically looked for bigger QBs, so if they chose to take one, it's likely either Kizer :sick: or Mahomes :thumbsup:

- NO is running out of time with Brees and continues to bleed on defense

- Cleveland leans toward the local guy with Trubisky

- Arizona takes the guy with the most upside in Mahomes

Then I couldn't find a landing spot for Watson in any of Philly, Indy, Baltimore, Washington, Tennessee, Tampa Bay, Denver, Detroit, or Miami, and I also couldn't find a team that Houston obviously needed to jump to get Watson. The closest that could potentially qualify would be NYG at 23.

I have a different take. I believe that the Bills will be in a position to select the first or second qb in this draft. It is unlikely that the Browns will use their first pick on a qb but it is quite possible that they do so with the 12th pick in the draft. Trubisky is their probable qb target.

If I were a gambler I would bet the house that the Bills do not use their first pick at the ten spot on a qb. They are freakishly afraid to use a high pick on a qb prospect. They are a lackluster organization that is comfortable staying within their small comfort zone. I say this with a great deal of disappointment.

I think the 49ers are incredibly unpredictable since it's Lynch and Shanahan's first time around. I could see Lynch valuing Thomas in a Sapp call back to the Tampa D, valuing Adams as a fellow safety or I could see Shanahan wanting Watson as his QB to groom. Watson going 2 could start a landslide or them going defense could push everything the other way. At this point I think it's safe to ink Garrett to the Browns at pick 1 and otherwise multiple scenarios are in play.

- I don't see SF going QB. I think with Solomon Thomas, Jamal Adams, Malik Hooker, and Marshon Lattimore on the board, there's too much elite defensive talent to pass. If they did take a QB, I think it would be Trubisky, because he fits what Shanahan likes to do.

- Chicago could go Watson, but since they've got Glennon in the fold, it would make the most sense to me that they'd pick the guy with the elite measurables and try to groom him to start

- Caldwell in Jax probably needs to win quickly, so adding a QB when they already have Bortles is likely a non-starter

- Tennesse has Mariota

- Jets are probably another team who's HC needs to win quickly, and having spent picks on Petty and Hackenberg, I figured they'd try to get an elite defensive playmaker at 6. Honestly, if there's a landing spot for Watson in the top 10, this is it IMO.

- Carolina has Cam

- Whaley has typically looked for bigger QBs, so if they chose to take one, it's likely either Kizer :sick: or Mahomes :thumbsup:

Then I couldn't find a landing spot for Watson in any of Philly, Indy, Baltimore, Washington, Tennessee, Tampa Bay, Denver, Detroit, or Miami, and I also couldn't find a team that Houston obviously needed to jump to get Watson. The closest that could potentially qualify would be NYG at 23.

Denver I think is possible. That team has no glaring holes and I don't know how high they are on Lynch.

- Tennesse has Mariota

- Carolina has Cam

Under your scenario, the real danger to Houston would likely be someone jumping back up from behind them.

I just want Hooker to fall to 10. That likely requires multiple top 10 QBs and Fournette & Foster going top 9.

Denver I think is possible. That team has no glaring holes and I don't know how high they are on Lynch.

No glaring holes except 4/5ths of their offensive line. They've also bled defensive line / MLB talent the past couple of offseasons, their rush defense was gashed last year.

Under your scenario, the real danger to Houston would likely be someone jumping back up from behind them.

I just want Hooker to fall to 10. That likely requires multiple top 10 QBs and Fournette & Foster going top 9.

No glaring holes except 4/5ths of their offensive line. They've also bled defensive line / MLB talent the past couple of offseasons, their rush defense was gashed last year.

Historically, you don't need firsts to replenish those units.

- Tennesse has Mariota

- Carolina has Cam

I can agree with all this. In fact, this makes me wonder if NO would want to grab an heir for Brees. Isn't he 36 this year?

Historically, you don't need firsts to replenish those units.

Sure, but historically you don't use a 1st round pick on a QB a year after using a 1st round pick on a QB.

I can agree with all this. In fact, this makes me wonder if NO would want to grab an heir for Brees. Isn't he 36 this year?

He's 38.

They've been linked to the QBs but the belief seems to be waiting until day 2 to bring one in to groom. If you are Brees and they take a QB at 11, you have to wonder what you are doing there.

Sure, but historically you don't use a 1st round pick on a QB a year after using a 1st round pick on a QB.

He's 38.

They've been linked to the QBs but the belief seems to be waiting until day 2 to bring one in to groom. If you are Brees and they take a QB at 11, you have to wonder what you are doing there.

:lol: fair enough.

He's 38.

Geez, didn't realize he was THAT old.

We really are hitting an end of an era in the NFL. Guys like Big Ben, Bree's, Rivers, Tommy, etc are all going to be gone in a couple years.

I think Watson is going to Chicago at #3. I have felt that way for a long time and I have a friend with decent links into the organisation who says that the personnel staff there are very, very high on him. I don't think there is any way the Bears go Quarterback at #3 and pick someone else.

The 49ers I agree probably won't go QB and if they do Trubisky is the most likely selection.

I think the 49ers are incredibly unpredictable since it's Lynch and Shanahan's first time around. I could see Lynch valuing Thomas in a Sapp call back to the Tampa D, valuing Adams as a fellow safety or I could see Shanahan wanting Watson as his QB to groom. Watson going 2 could start a landslide or them going defense could push everything the other way. At this point I think it's safe to ink Garrett to the Browns at pick 1 and otherwise multiple scenarios are in play.

I just don't see the 49ers using the second pick on a draft on any of these good but not elite qb prospects. Their roster is so depleted and far away from being competitive that they need to re-stock the roster with top end talent that is available in this draft. If San Fran was a more competitive team I could see them taking one of the qb prospects but not under their current situation, at least not in the first round.

The intriguing thing to follow in this draft with respect to the qb issue is which surprise team/s will move up to get a qb. There are a number of teams who have veteran qbs who are near the end of the line, such as the Giants, Steelers and Arizona. Will they move up into the first or near the top of the second to get a qb that they are impressed with?

I think Watson is going to Chicago at #3. I have felt that way for a long time and I have a friend with decent links into the organisation who says that the personnel staff there are very, very high on him. I don't think there is any way the Bears go Quarterback at #3 and pick someone else.

The 49ers I agree probably won't go QB and if they do Trubisky is the most likely selection.

Jon Gruden was on a radio sports show yesterday and was asked about the qb crop. The qb he gushed over was Watson. He felt that he was the most impressive person (not necessarily the most talented) qb in this draft.

You have definitely been consistent on Watson in general, and what you're saying wouldn't surprise me.

You have definitely been consistent on Watson in general, and what you're saying wouldn't surprise me.

If I get time my v2.0 mock draft is coming tonight..... I've finalised the picks just finishing off my reasoning. There are some changes throughout the first round. Version 3.0 will, as usual be the final version in the final 24 / 48 hours before the Browns go on the clock.

You know what's even more annoying ?

Listening to someone make things up. I know you and Firechan argue but leave me out of it. Name 1 thing I've made up about Taylor ? Just 1 is all I need.

He is 1-6 vs .500 teams. He is sandwiched between Simien and Tannenhill on the qb lists on NFL.com.

Just because you love him, doesn't mean I have to, I watched him soil his pants in big games vs the raiders, steelers, and pats. Apologies for not being louder when we beat the 49ers, Jags, and Browns.

He's meh, and it's easy to see when a real qb is on the opponents team.

Qb at 10. Let's do this.

Since you only asked me to name 1...I will name just 1.

There was a whole thread where you spent tons of posts trying to completely discredit any and all production by Tyrod. You literally were trying to twist all kinds of his production into falsified "garbage" time production, even in games where we lost by 6 points and we were in the game to the very end. Maybe you don't realize the EXTREMES you have gone on a regular basis to rail against Tyrod, but you do and did it a lot. So sorry bud, you made your bed, so you get to lie in it.

And lets be clear, I don't love Tyrod, said a million times he MUST improve this year and continue to grow. The only thing about me is I have not declared that impossible like you and FireChan. I love drafting QB's, I just don't love over drafting and reaching for MEH QB's when we have a guy already capable of getting us wins and have bigger issues on this team, especially on defense where we have key positions that don't even have starters yet.

The fact you still can't figure that out and think I "love" TT is all anyone really needs to know about how much you read posts.

PS: In the very post I just replied to, you have incorrect facts. He is not 1-6 against winning teams, his record is better than that...buy you already know that because I already addressed that with you in other threads...yet you keep saying it anyways.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Like GunnerBill, I like Watson. I think he'll go a lot earlier than folks think. I also like Mahomes. He's a risk, but we can afford to sit him and let him learn with Taylor's nice, bridge qb contract. I don't think these are "meh" qbs, so I would take a shot at them, probably Trubisky as well. Filling a "hole" that is an immediate need is short-term thinking, imo. We should go after the franchise qb if we think one of these fellas has a legitimate chance to become one.

I don't feel Tyrod is awful. Far from it. Ryan and Gungy might but I certainly don't. I feel he is a QB that you can win with and who, when everything is right around him, can take a team to the postseason. He isn't going to lose you games (though "careful with the football" is a description I hate in Quarterbacks -as Parcells once said to Phil Simms... if you are not throwing picks you are not trying hard enough) and Tyrod will make enough big plays here and there with his legs or his deep ball (his two strongest assets).

It is, however, true to say that I think it is unrealistic to expect significant improvement in Tyrod's game at this stage based on what you see when evaluating him over the past two seasons. I don't think he is suddenly going to break out and catapult himself into Franchise Quarterback status. If he can't - in your words - trust Brandon Tate or Justin Hunter when they are absolutely wide open, as they were often last year then I have to conclude that it us either he doesn't see them or sees them too late or he is simply not an anticipation thrower willing to take enough risks with the football. He holds it too long and he bails clean pockets too quickly, too often. He is to my eyes what he is. The 20th or so best Quarterback in the NFL.

I have to say the renegotiation that the Bills undertook with Tyrod this offseason strongly indicates that they feel the same. They see him as a bridge Quarterback. The point I make on this very thread to JohnC is that I would feel the same about the 3 or 4 guys I have just above Tyrod in that game manager category. I don't want to stand pat with an Alex Smith or an Andy Dalton or a Ryan Tannehill either. They are not true franchise Quarterbacks if you don't believe that they could win you a Superbowl and I don't with any of those guys. If those 3 and Taylor won 1 between them in the rest of their careers that would be a stretch.

And whilst I 100% agree with you that the defense not the offense was the problem last year - ruined by a Head Coach who I said on day 1 would likely fail here - I still think Quarterback is the single most important position and if you don't have a guy you would give that "franchise" moniker to then you should be taking shots to find one early and often.

To me this is a draft where our positions of need are deep with talent into the 2nd and 3rd and beyond.... I am not sure we lose anything by taking a shot on one of these Quarterbacks.... Watson or Trubisky or a wildcard shot on Pat Mahomes if you want to really roll the dice (and many here do).

Good post, and we are more on the same page that it might look initially. I love drafting QB's and know we need to draft one this year. I don't see any of them being worth the 10th pick, so reaching usually gets teams in trouble and I don't want to reach for something that we aren't in dire need of. I wouldn't hate one in the 2nd, even though I still prefer to go a different direction in the 2nd (seems a great round to grab a DB or WR).

At the end of the day it comes down to this: We are in a rare draft that is deep and rich of value going into it. We have a LOT of holes and only 3 picks in the first 4 rounds and only 6 total. Lets focus on taking advantage of the depth of this draft and try and get 3 starters in the first 3 rounds because next years draft wont be anywhere near as good as this one at all the positions we need help at.

Then Tyrod gets a chance to see what he can do and improve on under better coaching, system stability, healthy Sammy, revamped WR group and what should also be a much improved defense. If Taylor doesnt progress, next year we have a lot less holes to fill and we can go all in on a QB, even possibly make a big trade up if its available at a top prospect if need be. But if we draft a meh QB this year and wiff on it, we are in a much worse position over the next few years than if we just focus on our real holes to reduce the amount of players we need on this team to take the next step.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Good post, and we are more on the same page that it might look initially. I love drafting QB's and know we need to draft one this year. I don't see any of them being worth the 10th pick, so reaching usually gets teams in trouble and I don't want to reach for something that we aren't in dire need of. I wouldn't hate one in the 2nd, even though I still prefer to go a different direction in the 2nd (seems a great round to grab a DB or WR).

At the end of the day it comes down to this: We are in a rare draft that is deep and rich of value going into it. We have a LOT of holes and only 3 picks in the first 4 rounds and only 6 total. Lets focus on taking advantage of the depth of this draft and try and get 3 starters in the first 3 rounds because next years draft wont be anywhere near as good as this one at all the positions we need help at.

Then Tyrod gets a chance to see what he can do and improve on under better coaching, system stability, healthy Sammy, revamped WR group and what should also be a much improved defense. If Taylor doesnt progress, next year we have a lot less holes to fill and we can go all in on a QB, even possibly make a big trade up if its available at a top prospect if need be. But if we draft a meh QB this year and wiff on it, we are in a much worse position over the next few years than if we just focus on our real holes to reduce the amount of players we need on this team to take the next step.

You have holes to fill every year. Preston, Kyle, Gillislee, McCoy, Kujo, Incognito, Wood, Mills, Seantrel and more could all be gone next year.

Waiting to take a QB is just that, waiting to take a QB. The one extra pick that fills S or WR won't fill everything.

Edited by FireChan

The presupposition in your reasoning is that this year's class of qbs is "meh." If you are wrong there, much of your reasoning falls apart. I do agree this appears to be a draft rich at many areas of need, so I am not dismissive of your argument. However, I am also dubious that we will be in a position to trade up to get a franchise qb next year. I suspect Cleveland, SF, and a good number of other teams will be likely better equipped to grab an available franchise qb. For that reason, I think you take the shot now if you think there is a fella with a good chance to develop into a top-tier qb. Of course, if you think they are all long-shots, your strategy is more sound.

Since you only asked me to name 1...I will name just 1.

There was a whole thread where you spent tons of posts trying to completely discredit any and all production by Tyrod. You literally were trying to twist all kinds of his production into falsified "garbage" time production, even in games where we lost by 6 points and we were in the game to the very end. Maybe you don't realize the EXTREMES you have gone on a regular basis to rail against Tyrod, but you do and did it a lot. So sorry bud, you made your bed, so you get to lie in it.

And lets be clear, I don't love Tyrod, said a million times he MUST improve this year and continue to grow. The only thing about me is I have not declared that impossible like you and FireChan. I love drafting QB's, I just don't love over drafting and reaching for MEH QB's when we have a guy already capable of getting us wins and have bigger issues on this team, especially on defense where we have key positions that don't even have starters yet.

The fact you still can't figure that out and think I "love" TT is all anyone really needs to know about how much you read posts.

PS: In the very post I just replied to, you have incorrect facts. He is not 1-6 against winning teams, his record is better than that...buy you already know that because I already addressed that with you in other threads...yet you keep saying it anyways.

Down 2 scores needing an onside kick is garbage time.

He's not 1-6 vs .500 teams ?

Pats 1-1 Pitt 0-1 Miami 0-2 raiders 0-1 Ravens 0-1 Seahawks 0-1

Looks like 1-7 to me sir.

Draft Mahomes/Bisky/Watson and get this bum out of here.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

Down 2 scores needing an onside kick is garbage time.

He's not 1-6 vs .500 teams ?

Pats 1-1 Pitt 0-1 Miami 0-2 raiders 0-1 Ravens 0-1 Seahawks 0-1

Looks like 1-7 to me sir.

People are saying Trubisky could be a Matt Ryan and comparing Mahomes to Stafford and Rodgers. But why would Buffalo need that when we have TT? Let's just draft a DB at 10 and give Tyrod 18 million next year.

Not to be all 'I told ya so' about a future event...

But I've been stating that the Bills must take Mahomes at 10 IF he's on the board. I've been saying that for months. And people mocked me. I'm not getting locked for it now.

I'm better than all the draft "experts" at QBs. Those guys are all gutless. They never commit to a guy. I do. And Mahomes is the real deal.

He is the next Payton Manning, Brett Favre, Aaron Rogers, He is a generational talent. Yes I said it

You're damn right he is. He's a special, special player.

And I'd say this...if I were Whaley I'd trade up to get him if I felt I needed to. I'd surrender next years 1st if I thought I needed too.

Now for serious, I'm am high right now. But i mean that. I trade next years 1st if I had to.

Not to be all 'I told ya so' about a future event...

But I've been stating that the Bills must take Mahomes at 10 IF he's on the board. I've been saying that for months. And people mocked me. I'm not getting locked for it now.

I'm better than all the draft "experts" at QBs. Those guys are all gutless. They never commit to a guy. I do. And Mahomes is the real deal.

You're damn right he is. He's a special, special player.

And I'd say this...if I were Whaley I'd trade up to get him if I felt I needed to. I'd surrender next years 1st if I thought I needed too.

Now for serious, I'm am high right now. But i mean that. I trade next years 1st if I had to.

Mahomes would really tie the room together.