TT vs Buffalo media

YoloinOhio

There is nothing informed or constructive in that tweet. It's just Jerry Sullivan's patented hangdog woe-is-us routine that he knows goes over great with his endlessly depressed fan base.

This is what we hate.

Sullivan's constant negativity may be grating but, back to the OP, was criticism of TT's play warranted ? I would say that it was based on how he performed. TT doesnt offer specifics of which games or which aspects of his performance were criticized. But, in general, we all saw TT regress compared to the previous season. We all saw his faults continue and not improve meaningfully. If the media pointed that out, how are they wrong ?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills are entering into a second generation of repulsive play. They haven't had a legitimate franchise qb in twenty years. They have been out of the playoffs for more than generation in a system designed for parity. If you want the writers to be more uplifting and less reflexively negative then run a more competent operation that can produce a respectable product on the field.

Do you think that WGR or TBN find it appealing reporting on a product that at times can be excruciating painful to watch and cover? What's the positive story line? A team seriously competing for a playoff? Or a team actually in a playoff? Every year it is the same pathetic scenario. You don't think that year in and year out same dispiriting story gets tiresome for the people who cover the team?

This focus on the media is a distraction from the real story which is the garbage product on the field. If you want to direct your anger and frustration direct it at the right target. This blame the media for one's own angst is so off the mark and Trumpian!

The Bills are entering into a second generation of repulsive play. They haven't had a legitimate franchise qb in twenty years. They have been out of the playoffs for more than generation in a system designed for parity. If you want the writers to be more uplifting and less reflexively negative then run a more competent operation that can produce a respectable product on the field.

Do you think that WGR or TBN find it appealing reporting on a product that at times can be excruciating painful to watch and cover? What's the positive story line? A team seriously competing for a playoff? Or a team actually in a playoff? Every year it is the same pathetic scenario. You don't think that year in and year out same dispiriting story gets tiresome for the people who cover the team?

This focus on the media is a distraction from the real story which is the garbage product on the field. If you want to direct your anger and frustration direct it at the right target. This blame the media for one's own angst is so off the mark and Trumpian!

Amen!

My takeaway: badol is right about the need to grow thick skin and deal with local media whether one likes them or not, and kirby us right about the low quality of analytical skills and knowledge among local media members. I mean, reading that espn barnwell piece i posted today and aaron schatz's piece breaking down the SB today in football outsiders shows how weak they are (i realize these guys aren't local, but still). A guy with a clue like tyler dunne doesn't last long here. http://www.football-outsiders.com/game-previews/2017/super-bowl-li-preview

Regarding the low quality of analytical skills:

The average fan doesn't care about the details of x's and o's unless the team is interesting enough to follow.

Most teams are.........the Bills are pretty special in their irrelevance at this point.

Five years ago there might have been a dozen or less of us on here who even watched the "Edge NFL Matchup" shows every week.

The demand and availability of information has grown exponentially........but in general the Bills fanbase is dumbed down by disinterest.

The average fan just wants to know......is the sh*t show over yet or not?........and that's where TBN comes in.

You guys seem to be wondering why the media doesn't write stories that Bills fans do not want to read.

My takeaway: badol is right about the need to grow thick skin and deal with local media whether one likes them or not, and kirby us right about the low quality of analytical skills and knowledge among local media members. I mean, reading that espn barnwell piece i posted today and aaron schatz's piece breaking down the SB today in football outsiders shows how weak they are (i realize these guys aren't local, but still). A guy with a clue like tyler dunne doesn't last long here. http://www.football-outsiders.com/game-previews/2017/super-bowl-li-preview

What you're really saying is that the Bills need to deal with the media in a way more to your liking. T Pegula and D Whaley have ZERO media skills so good luck with that.

Sullivan's constant negativity may be grating but, back to the OP, was criticism of TT's play warranted ? I would say that it was based on how he performed. TT doesnt offer specifics of which games or which aspects of his performance were criticized. But, in general, we all saw TT regress compared to the previous season. We all saw his faults continue and not improve meaningfully. If the media pointed that out, how are they wrong ?

All the criticism is warranted. Just as the praise for his positive traits as a QB is as well. Edited by K-9

What you're really saying is that the Bills need to deal with the media in a way more to your liking. T Pegula and D Whaley have ZERO media skills so good luck with that.

All the criticism is warranted. Just as the praise for his positive traits as a QB is as well.

Whaley is a bright guy. When people from other organizations were asked about upcoming young front office staffers his name constantly came up. He was highly thought of in Pittsburgh. If he left Buffalo he would quickly be added to the Steeler payroll.

Clearly he's not a polished public speaker. But what inhibits him is that in his GM capacity he can't speak candidly about what he thinks about his players and his coaches. He can't even candidly speak about other teams and their players. When it comes to draft prospects he is understandingly going to be guarded in hoping not to spill proprietary information.

I understand when a person because of his job and his role has to be cautious with his comments. No doubt it is going to inhibit his fluency. However, with a little more effort he is capable of improving his speaking presentation to make it more tolerable to hear. With respect to the owner his chances of improving his communication skills is much smaller, bordering on zero. His response would be that he is still comforted with the knowledge that when he goes to bed he is still a billionaire and counting.

Here's a recent example of negativity for its own sake. When Sean McDermott was hired, Jerry Sullivan tweeted the last time the Bills hired a defensive coach from a recent Super Bowl team was Gregg Williams.

Now what is the point of that thread, other than to suggest that a coincidence from 13 years ago means McDermott will fail like Greggo?

There is nothing informed or constructive in that tweet. It's just Jerry Sullivan's patented hangdog woe-is-us routine that he knows goes over great with his endlessly depressed fan base.

This is what we hate.

yep - that tweet from Sully was a microcosm of his embarrassing career. He's a fossil, too. Edited by YoloinOhio

That's fair, but it's also fair for Taylor to give his side. Maybe the criticisms were misapplied?

Bills owners Terry and Kim Pegula have been unhappy about the offense since last season and expressed their concerns to Ryan in a meeting on Friday morning. Among those concerns were the team’s poor record on third-down conversions — they ranked 21st last season and are 6-of-23 this season — and issues getting calls to quarterback Tyrod Taylor in a timely fashion.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/09/16/report-pegulas-unhappiness-led-to-greg-romans-firing/

That darn media owning the Bills! Always so unfair to our signal caller.

Not trying to get into a keep vs cut argument... but we do have some absurdly negative media.

Sully? Bucky? Even the guys from rochester? They write nothing positive about the team it seems. Graham kind of does features I guess? But they're like, hung up on when some conversation occurred and whether whaley is lying. Who cares?

Write an article about a player, talk about things he could improve on, but maybe also remind us why we're fans of this team.

I feel like they're stuck with a loser so they do nothing but tell us they're losers. I cant remember the last time a player had a featured article where a reporter sat down and got to talk to a player. I think the last one was dunne, and all that came from it (a pretty good article) was tweets about how sammys a baby who wants more targets.

After TT got embarrassed by the Raiders and Steelers resulting a 1% chance at playoffs, it was open season on his behind.

What's the issue ? Suck it up and play better and you can shut people up.

So it's all about 2 games! Really you need to suck it up. Lets not take into account that the Defense gave up 38 points to the Raiders and 27 against the Steelers while giving up over 200 yards rushing to Bell allowing the Steelers to control the clock. Maybe some one can explain to you the season is more than 2 games long! Lets forget he played his ass off in Seattle on Monday night only to get robbed by the refs. You are obviously too narrow minded to look at the whole picture. As I stated previously I don't believe TT is going to Canton but he is serviceable. You just let the jaded media continue to create your opinions for you. And when the Bills don't fall for one of the pretenders at QB in the draft this year I will be looking for your post blaming Whaley for being incompetent and not following the media's insistence that TT must go. Like it or not he gives the Bills their best option for success in the near future.

Let's do some simple math:

3,023 Passing Yards in 2017 for Tyrod

15 Games Played in 2017 for Tyrod

3,023/15=201.5

Still low, but c'mon man, at least use factual numbers.

Yeah I pointed that out to him earlier but he is obviously a media devotee and buys into their whining theory that TT sucks and has to go because he doesn't throw for 300 yards a game. Running the football is too boring for the media. If you're not filling the air with passes you suck.

Edited by Original Byrd Man

Let's do some simple math:

3,023 Passing Yards in 2017 for Tyrod

15 Games Played in 2017 for Tyrod

3,023/15=201.5

Still low, but c'mon man, at least use factual numbers.

Saw it on the web somewhere. Either way it's a major issue.

Well I better change the subject. John from Hemet is gonna call me names and bully me when he sees this.

So it's all about 2 games! Really you need to suck it up. Lets not take into account that the Defense gave up 38 points to the Raiders and 27 against the Steelers while giving up over 200 yards rushing to Bell allowing the Steelers to control the clock. Maybe some one can explain to you the season is more than 2 games long! Lets forget he played his ass off in Seattle on Monday night only to get robbed by the refs. You are obviously too narrow minded to look at the whole picture. As I stated previously I don't believe TT is going to Canton but he is serviceable. You just let the jaded media continue to create your opinions for you. And when the Bills don't fall for one of the pretenders at QB in the draft this year I will be looking for your post blaming Whaley for being incompetent and not following the media's insistence that TT must go. Like it or not he gives the Bills their best option for success in the near future.

Yeah I pointed that out to him earlier but he is obviously a media devotee and buys into their whining theory that TT sucks and has to go because he doesn't throw for 300 yards a game. Running the football is too boring for the media. If you're not filling the air with passes you suck.

1-6 vs .500 teams due to Brissett **

It's not about 2 games but those games had playoff implications and we had piss poor qb play those days.

Surely you see there's a problem no ? Defense bad. Tyrod bad. One doesn't absolve the other. Naaaa mean ?

That's fair, but it's also fair for Taylor to give his side. Maybe the criticisms were misapplied?

Indeed and I am not about blacks and whites. It would help to have specific references so we can verify if the coverage was slanted against him or a balanced view of pros and cons. He surely brings a lot of benefits to the offense but the passing game faltered and sputtered. Some of it is on the inadequate receiving corps but much on him as well. Overall, it was curious that TT would say this out loud - he seems to be angling for the bills to pick up his option. Does he really like Buffalo so much or is his agent telling him that there is a limited market for him outside of the Bills ?

Indeed and I am not about blacks and whites. It would help to have specific references so we can verify if the coverage was slanted against him or a balanced view of pros and cons. He surely brings a lot of benefits to the offense but the passing game faltered and sputtered. Some of it is on the inadequate receiving corps but much on him as well. Overall, it was curious that TT would say this out loud - he seems to be angling for the bills to pick up his option. Does he really like Buffalo so much or is his agent telling him that there is a limited market for him outside of the Bills ?

Tyrod wants to start. Even if not here in Buffalo, he still wants to start, very, very badly. He has said in the past (if I recall correctly) that he was a bit miffed at where he was drafted and thought that he should have gone much higher. He has carried that chip on his shoulder and wants to prove every team (besides Baltimore of course) that they were wrong for not drafting him.

His agent is surely keeping his ears open to know how much demand there is in the market for Tyrod and what his potential landing spots might be if released from the Bills. I suspect that Tyrod will only want to go to a place where he can start at QB right away.

If there are no other options besides Buffalo where he could be a starter, then he will very likely (in my opinion) be open to negotiating a new contract for a little less money or maybe fewer years at more money than his current option would have him at.

If we hear that he has negotiated for a new contract here in Buffalo, then you can bet there probably wasn't that much interest from other teams where he is likely to start. If the Bills just outright release him, then we will probably see him get a decent contract with some other team who is going take a shot starting him and/or perhaps build around him.

Edited by PolishDave

I agree. Sal is about the only person I feel you can believe.

Only a fool would fail to realize he is running the plays as they are called. Don't like the offense then criticize the coordinator. Unfortunately you evidently live in a dream world where reality doesn't exist.

Only a fool would fail to realize he is NOT running the plays that are called. Consistently missed seeing open guys all season.

I agree with Tyrod. I get extremely annoyed by the Buffalo media. I don't even think most of the scribes are sports fans anymore. They are just bitter, jaded, middle aged men. Their true personalities really show up on Twitter. What a bunch of jerks.

If you're losing and getting down, yeah you may be tired of the media. The question asked was why he seemed different towards the end of the year and he answered honestly. For all that they "cover" sports, half of the guys on the Bills' beat are more concerned with pithy tweeting than analysis of the game. If ever there were a group that just looks at stat lines and makes up a narrative, it's TBN. If a gameplan is based on dinks/dunks and running and you get questions about why you didn't air it out more, what exactly are you supposed to say "I didn't throw many deep balls because my coordinator doesn't trust the line to hold up long enough for my no-name receivers to be open down the field?" I am not a huge proponent of keeping TT, but there is nothing here to read into.