If we keep Tyrod...

BeastMode54

Definitely not in the first round, IMO. But I would support a QB pick in the later rounds...or none at all. I would be content going into next season with Tyrod, Cardale, and an UDFA.

Me too.

I don't want to draft a QB this year at all. Next year? That's different.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People forget about Cardale Jones. He's your developmental QB with big upside. This is why I hate this notion of drafting QBs every year. We treat them like toys from last Christmas. Want them so bad, then want a new toy next year.

Realistically, his big side will likely never come to fruition. I don't think you can bank on Jones becoming the elusive franchise QB.

With now 2 invites to the pro bowl even though it be as the second or alternate with what his contract price is at they need to keep Tyrod, but that being said they need to draft a QB they think worthy to develop.

They need to take a page out of the winningest team in the AFC the Pats & draft them (while they have Tyrod) , develop them incase Tyrod doesn't progress, & that way if he does & a team like the Browns need a QB they have trade bait for more picks .

That way they always insure that they have a NFL QB in the wings or at least a possible QB ..

Or they just need to go try to get the Bengals back up & be done with it !! :thumbsup:

With now 2 invites to the pro bowl even though it be as the second or alternate with what his contract price is at they need to keep Tyrod, but that being said they need to draft a QB they think worthy to develop.

They need to take a page out of the winningest team in the AFC the Pats & draft them (while they have Tyrod) , develop them incase Tyrod doesn't progress, & that way if he does & a team like the Browns need a QB they have trade bait for more picks .

That way they always insure that they have a NFL QB in the wings or at least a possible QB ..

Or they just need to go try to get the Bengals back up & be done with it !! :thumbsup:

I don't see why the pro bowl nom warrants a penny. Ryan Fitzpatrick will be a pro bowl qb as they keep going lower and lower on the list.

Can't pay a guy who poops his pants vs the Raiders and Steelers when playoffs are on the line. It's time to move on.

I don't see why the pro bowl nom warrants a penny. Ryan Fitzpatrick will be a pro bowl qb as they keep going lower and lower on the list.

Can't pay a guy who poops his pants vs the Raiders and Steelers when playoffs are on the line. It's time to move on.

The all-star game should be eliminated. It means so little that many of the players make excuses to get out of. Although this is a fake game with little entertainment value this game isn't worth the risk of injury.

The all-star game should be eliminated. It means so little that many of the players make excuses to get out of. Although this is a fake game with little entertainment value this game isn't worth the risk of injury.

Agree. Qb's used to be Kelly Marino Moon. Now it's Alex Smith and Andy Dalton. Just cancel it.

Hes a two time pro bowler, you cant let a guy like that walk!

Seriously, If we resign Tyrod, we will be stuck with him for 2-3 more seasons. Idk, MAYBE he will lead us to 10-6 next year, i guess anythings possible, but hes gonna have to do better than 1-5 in the division for that to happen.

Oops, 1-4, i know that last one was on EJ.

It may be time to move on but there has to be a place to go. If there is slim pickings in this year's draft, hold the cards you have, pick up an arm somewhere, draft for other needs that are strong and wait for next year, which everybody agrees is a better class. It will take a little sting out of Tyron's deal and in another year you will have your book on Cardale.

With this team and so many other unsettled positions plus a new staff/system they are not ready to be perennial contenders or one guy from the trophy. No real noise will be made until '18 at the earliest.

If TT is determined by the new staff to be worth a total of $40m over 3 years (roughly the deal now - could be re-done), as one of the biggest T-Mobile supporters out there I would still draft another QB (and that assumes EJ is out). They could do nothing at QB - including keeping EJ and letting him battle with Cardale for #2 to help CJ develop. If EJ wins out then he wins out as the #2. Not likely but with the new staff, it seems anything is possible.

EJ is a free agent and highly unlikely to be part of the Bills in 2017. If we talk about EJ, might as well talk about any other FA QB.

If EJ is lucky he will be a back-up somewhere that he doesn't actually have to play and could parlay it into a Todd Collin's-esque career of holding a clipboard.

Or maybe a better analogy is a Bob Uecker-like career - he used to say that his career was shortened when they actually got to see him play.

Fire Chan, Ryan L Blitz and Gugny will be fit for straight jackets. :nana:

In all seriousness, I expect he will be back. The value has to meet the draft slot to make that decision and we still have a lot of work to do. After, the combine and workouts we will know whether any of these guys are worth the number 10 pick. I am all for taking a QB if it makes sense.

Hahahaha aint that the truth :beer:

People forget about Cardale Jones. He's your developmental QB with big upside. This is why I hate this notion of drafting QBs every year. We treat them like toys from last Christmas. Want them so bad, then want a new toy next year.

You don't bank on a 4th round QB that the coaches played EJ over for the last year.

We need to draft another.

We don't come close to drafting QB's every year.

Edited by FireChan

If TT is determined by the new staff to be worth a total of $40m over 3 years (roughly the deal now - could be re-done), as one of the biggest T-Mobile supporters out there I would still draft another QB (and that assumes EJ is out). They could do nothing at QB - including keeping EJ and letting him battle with Cardale for #2 to help CJ develop. If EJ wins out then he wins out as the #2. Not likely but with the new staff, it seems anything is possible.

If TMobile in, EJ out, one waits for the 3rd or 4th round for a dude like this:

Agreed...bottom line is, we need to draft a QB no matter what if we don't add one in FA because even with Tyrod we don't have a backup. Cardale is not close to ready and I seriously doubt Whaley and the Staff are going to bank on him being ready by Week 1. This is a kid who couldn't keep his job after winning the National Championship in college, he is not ready to start even 1 NFL game right now. He may get there, but his is absolutely still a project. So, we either need to bring a Vet in as we all assume EJ wont be on this team next year, or we need to draft a QB to compete for the back up spot...and honestly, I expect us to to do both...sign a vet and draft a guy.

Don't be surprised to see Cardale either on PS next year or cut. The odds of him making an active roster are very very low.

Agreed...bottom line is, we need to draft a QB no matter what if we don't add one in FA because even with Tyrod we don't have a backup. Cardale is not close to ready and I seriously doubt Whaley and the Staff are going to bank on him being ready by Week 1. This is a kid who couldn't keep his job after winning the National Championship in college, he is not ready to start even 1 NFL game right now. He may get there, but his is absolutely still a project. So, we either need to bring a Vet in as we all assume EJ wont be on this team next year, or we need to draft a QB to compete for the back up spot...and honestly, I expect us to to do both...sign a vet and draft a guy.

Don't be surprised to see Cardale either on PS next year or cut. The odds of him making an active roster are very very low.

What’s this Cardale Jones bashing based on? Jone’s development and readiness is a complete mystery. Yet you pretend you know something? Do you? If not, that’s an interesting thing to do to a Bills player who’s done nothing but be a classy guy and team player.

As for his college benching, Urban Meyer didn’t want his starting QB to be a drop back passer. There are truly great college QBs, like Deshaun Watson, who’s game doesn’t translate well to the NFL, and the other side of that coin is that there are college QBs who’ve had lesser career’s (even benching) but are much better suited to the NFL game.

Edited by 1billsfan

What’s this Cardale Jones bashing based on? Jone’s development and readiness is a complete mystery. Yet you pretend you know something? Do you? If not, that’s an interesting thing to do to a Bills player who’s done nothing but be a classy guy and team player.

As for his college benching, Urban Meyer didn’t want his starting QB to be a drop back passer. There are truly great college QBs, like Deshaun Watson, who’s game doesn’t translate well to the NFL, and the other side of that coin is that there are college QBs who’ve had lesser career’s (even benching) but are much better suited to the NFL game.

Since when is being HONEST about a player bashing? Seriously? Its undeniable the kid is not ready. Why are you even upset about that?

And he did not lose his job over the drop back passer...he lost it because his passes were all over the place. The kid has mechanics issues and was very raw coming out of college. Sure, the kid can go on to have a great career, but the REALITY is the kid is NOT ready to play.

Reality Check assuming we keep Tyrod:

1. The Bills are NOT going to go into a season without a READY backup QB with a guy like Tyrod who is exposed to more hits given his running ability. We paid dearly with that whole Kold debacle and only 2 rookies behind a QB made of glass forcing both rookies to play early, especially a raw UDFA in Tuel.

2. More than likely, the Bills will sign a vet to compete for or be the backup QB.

3. Teams don't generally keep more than 3 QB's, even when factoring in Practice Squad.

So the Bills almost certainly are not going to just assume Cardale will be ready by camp. He more than likely will have to beat out a Vet, and may even need to beat out a rookie we draft this year. If he is competing against the Vet, it is more likely he wont be the backup entering week 1 unless he shows a huge improvement and decidedly beats out that vet. Therefore, that means he would be a PS player as we wont be carrying 3 active QB's on our roster.

Now, if we do draft a rookie and sign a vet, that means Cardale is not only going to be fighting to be the backup QB, but if he loses that competition he will be fighting against the other rookie to even make our PS.

So you can sit here and get pissed all you want, but the fact remains he isnt ready and the Bills are not going to ignore the QB position in both FA and the draft in some bold assumption he will ascend to NFL ready by week 1. I hope the kid becomes the next Tom Brady, so not sure why you think this is personal just because I am being honest of where he is at and what the Bills have to do to make sure we have a competent backup QB come week 1.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Based off being TT fanboys, same with the all the qb's in the draft are bums.

It's in the CoT handbook.

Draft one high and move up if you have to. QB is the most important so be aggressive

Def. trade up for Tru.

Based off being TT fanboys, same with the all the qb's in the draft are bums.

It's in the CoT handbook.

Def. trade up for Tru.

Good with that.

Its funny you say CoT because it reminds me of the Church of Trent, and if I have one word to describe Tyrod I go with Trentative. Don't mind bringing him back if that's what they wanna do but be aggressive about getting a highly regarded prospect onto the roster.