Deshaun Watson a Bargain in 1st for Bills - DP

wish I could remember where I read it, but Clemson's coach Dabo Swinney said that "whoever passes on Watson is passing on Footballs Micheal Jordan"

I think he said "Baseball's Michael Jordan".

With that accent, it was hard to tell...

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although he was mocked to the Bills by many people, I don't think anyone was saying he was a bargain.

Just saying that Nassib, Geno Smith and Matt Barkley were the Watson, Mahomes and Trubisky of 2013. All the hype on them in mocks had them going in Rd 1. Agents and media with a lot of time to fill before late April.

Way too early to speculate on where Watson will be drafted.

Remember when Matt Barkley was supposed to be a #1 overall pick and then he went through the combine, workouts etc and by draft time he was nowhere near the 1st round?

How many examples do we need to show that great college success does not have a huge play in NFL success.

Revisit this after FA and March 11th. I can't see the Bills keeping Tyrod and then drafting Watson at #10. That could be chaos for the locker room.

Just saying that Nassib, Geno Smith and Matt Barkley were the Watson, Mahomes and Trubisky of 2013. All the hype on them in mocks had them going in Rd 1. Agents and media with a lot of time to fill before late April.

That's what they had to work with. What did you expect them to do, ignore the position of QB for the runup to the draft?

I don't understand this criticism.

Wrong again.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap1000000162248/article/2013-nfl-draft-sevenround-mock-forecasts-every-pick-1-to-254

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1610053-2013-nfl-mock-draft-matt-millers-final-7-round-predictions

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2013/4/8/4192860/2013-nfl-mock-draft-three-rounds-geno-smith-tavon-austin

Edited by FireChan

wish I could remember where I read it, but Clemson's coach Dabo Swinney said that "whoever passes on Watson is passing on Footballs Micheal Jordan"

Things like this, and the championship game are why I highly doubt Watson falls to us at 10. With all the missing pieces on our roster, I dont see us trading the farm for him either.

he's the guy i really like. i mean he has the work ethic, the athleticism, the head on his shoulders etc.

I've been listening to the experts lately whenever theyre asked about scouting a QB. Polian just did a piece for example.

Here is what the good ones look for:

Quick release - Does he make decisions quickly, and does he get the ball out quickly once he makes that decision?

Accuracy - Once the ball is out, how is the placement?

I'm not sure how Watson measures up in those categories, but none of the other traits matter as much. Work ethic, head on shoulders are important, sure. But we don't have access to interviews, and I'll still take a Cutler over a Manuel.

Way too early to speculate on where Watson will be drafted.

Remember when Matt Barkley was supposed to be a #1 overall pick and then he went through the combine, workouts etc and by draft time he was nowhere near the 1st round?

How many examples do we need to show that great college success does not have a huge play in NFL success.

Revisit this after FA and March 11th. I can't see the Bills keeping Tyrod and then drafting Watson at #10. That could be chaos for the locker room.

Watson was also projected to go high. The difference is that he finished his career with an all-time great performance. He will trend up because of it (like Vince Young did). He played his best football late in games and in his biggest games. People won't overlook that. I will be very surprised if he isn't taken in the 1st 40 picks. He isn't a guy that will fall to the middle of the draft. He may not fall to the middle of the 1st.

I've been listening to the experts lately whenever theyre asked about scouting a QB. Polian just did a piece for example.

Here is what the good ones look for:

Quick release - Does he make decisions quickly, and does he get the ball out quickly once he makes that decision?

Accuracy - Once the ball is out, how is the placement?

I'm not sure how Watson measures up in those categories, but none of the other traits matter as much. Work ethic, head on shoulders are important, sure. But we don't have access to interviews, and I'll still take a Cutler over a Manuel.

They said that , coming out of Tenn., Manning could place balls on a trainers face from 3 inches away...

By this time in 2013 the Barkley train had derailed. People were still talking about Geno as a possible choice at #1 until the Chiefs traded for the other Smith. Then it was pretty consistent to see mocks with only 1 QB in round one.... and that person (about whom there was no consensus - Barkley, Geno, EJ, Nassib, Gelnnon were all mentioned) was mocked to the Bills.

I saw that too, and I thought that was the dumbest thing I ever heard. Way out WAY WAY to much pressure on the kid let's make him a great before snap one. Why not just say "the most talented QB I have ever seen.." truthful and not WAY out there..