Brady and zone defense

HT02

NFL DCs are stupid when it comes to stopping Brady the blueprint has been out there for years. Pressure in the Middle and Tight coverage at the line.

I just do not get why they ALWAYS want to get in Zone coverage and let their little quick WRs have space off the line. Specially when Gronk is not playing.

Agreed!

The only defense for Brady is having a top-notch DL group that can get home immediately without blitzing.

Nothing else has a chance of working.

The other best defense is scoring a TD every drive, or close to it. When you get 30+ pts you've got a good shot because it forces them to be perfect for a change.

Edited by TheFunPolice

NFL DCs are stupid when it comes to stopping Brady the blueprint has been out there for years. Pressure in the Middle and Tight coverage at the line.

I just do not get why they ALWAYS want to get in Zone coverage and let their little quick WRs have space off the line. Specially when Gronk is not playing.

I couldn't agree more, every time he has a bad game or loses its the same formula that you just wrote.

Agree.

It always strikes me as odd that most teams don't adjust their defensive scheme to fit their opponent.

I truly believe they are still cheating is some way or another. Its not hard to cover slants and outs. Do you really think that the greatest football minds in the world, collectively over 17+ years, haven't been able to stop a slant or an out vrs the Patriots?? The Pats O is so simple. They don't do anything complex. Their OL never misses an assignement. It is unnatural. It really is. I've been saying it since 2001, And when Spygate broke is ALL made sense.

People think they stopped, I think they picked up the pace. Found a better way to do it, and amped it up. Its the only explanation that makes sense. And the accusations have been there too. The headsets of opponents going out at critical moments of the games, stolen playbooks, eaves dropping on the opponents radio communications, Brady's helmet radio staying on during the plays..... Its all right there out in the open but people just ignore it. Strange

I truly believe they are still cheating is some way or another. Its not hard to cover slants and outs. Do you really think that the greatest football minds in the world, collectively over 17+ years, haven't been able to stop a slant or an out vrs the Patriots?? The Pats O is so simple. They don't do anything complex. Their OL never misses an assignement. It is unnatural. It really is. I've been saying it since 2001, And when Spygate broke is ALL made sense.

People think they stopped, I think they picked up the pace. Found a better way to do it, and amped it up. Its the only explanation that makes sense. And the accusations have been there too. The headsets of opponents going out at critical moments of the games, stolen playbooks, eaves dropping on the opponents radio communications, Brady's helmet radio staying on during the plays..... Its all right there out in the open but people just ignore it. Strange

Yeah only cheating. The mantra of every other team they OWN

Yeah only cheating. The mantra of every other team they OWN

OK, so this team has gotten caught cheating twice now, in two different ways, spanning more than a decade...........

Why do you think that A) they only cheated twice, and not 3, 4, or 10 different ways and B) Still aren't cheating in some other way???

Its obvious that the punishments weren't big enough deterrents, so why stop?

I couldn't agree more, every time he has a bad game or loses its the same formula that you just wrote.

It's a lot easier said than done. That was the same formula against P Manning as well. The problem is I you blitz get that pressure they both will kill you and most teams do not have the personnel to do it 1 on 1.

It's a lot easier said than done. That was the same formula against P Manning as well. The problem is I you blitz get that pressure they both will kill you and most teams do not have the personnel to do it 1 on 1.

The goal is not to blitz and get pressure. They added the 2 TE formation as a bit of a workaround for teams loading up with DBs in nickel and dime. They'll go 2 TE and hurry up until you call TO or get rolled for a few plays. They'll roll blount out there and just hammer your DBs at the LOS. It's a pick your poison type of thing, and their O-line is as healthy and good as its ever been.

Watching Brady dismantle the Steelers (again) and hearing the announcers talking about how Brady loves to face a zone defense and how bad it was for the Steelers to continue to play zone against him my memory flashed back to this article from the Bills website:

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/5-differences-to-expect-in-Sean-McDermotts-defense/410476f5-5ef0-4c2d-88c0-6c223b97d6c1

The article titled "5 differences to expect in Sean McDermott's defense" has this as the first point.

"1 - Lots of zone

In stark contrast to Buffalo’s previous man coverage scheme, McDermott’s scheme plays a good deal of zone coverage. Cover 3 along with Cover 2 and Cover 4 are among the more popular calls on the back end of his defense.
“In Carolina they played a lot of zone under McDermott,” Kelso said. “When they went to the Super Bowl they were playing a ton of Cover 3 with basic zone defense and had linebackers that really understood leverage control and where to drop and whether they needed to be inside or outside of receivers.
“McDermott’s defense is going to be more of a base type defense and guys will understand where they need to be and when they need to be there as opposed to being in man coverage. Rex played a lot of man, sometimes some two-man. They didn’t have any one thing that they settled on, but it was more of an aggressive man defense with combination coverages.
“It’s more of a match zone. You’re not dropping to a spot on the field. You’re dropping to a spot in relation to where a receiver would be in your area of the field.”"
I feel like I am watching one of those documentaries that dissect a disaster that happened and go through the time line of events that led up to it.

Funny - I also read the article and was thinking the same thing during the game.

As people have mentioned - pressure up the middle and tight coverage off the line. It drives me crazy when teams think they will just drop people in coverage with no rush and think it will work.

One of the most important pieces I would add though is not just pressure, but HIT him. Once he gets hit a few times he starts getting more inaccurate and folding into the fetal position more often when he feels the rush. Give him a (non-penalty inducing) push or a shove even after the ball is out. Let him know you are there every single play. I also don't understand why teams don't do more to force him to throw outside - that is the one pass he really doesn't throw well.

I don't care if you don't have the ideal personnel to do otherwise - sitting in a zone with no pass rush is just stupid. It drives me insane when teams do it. You are almost guaranteed to lose if you play passive - what do you have to lose to be more aggressive?

I don't believe their cheating has been the main factor, but which team haven't they owned over the past 15 years?

And my point. talk to any fan from the other teams and they will cry cheating

OK, so this team has gotten caught cheating twice now, in two different ways, spanning more than a decade...........

Why do you think that A) they only cheated twice, and not 3, 4, or 10 different ways and B) Still aren't cheating in some other way???

Its obvious that the punishments weren't big enough deterrents, so why stop?

And yet so haven't EVERY team in the NFL.

And is it really cheating if you find a loophole (Spygate) in the rule and exploit it?

Bills have been caught cheating as well. Do we call them Cheaters?

Where is Aaron Rodgers 4 game suspension for being on Record saying he likes to throw Over inflated footballs?

Edited by MAJBobby

And my point. talk to any fan from the other teams and they will cry cheating

And yet so haven't EVERY team in the NFL.

And is it really cheating if you find a loophole (Spygate) in the rule and exploit it?

Bills have been caught cheating as well. Do we call them Cheaters?

Where is Aaron Rodgers 4 game suspension for being on Record saying he likes to throw Over inflated footballs?

Meanwhile no one screams cheaters on the Hawks who have been caught 4 times in the last decade and twice in 3 years. It doesn't matter how "serious" the rule is after all no one thought the inflation of the football mattered till deflategate.

I was talking to my Steelers' fans buddies about this, and they were irate that they stuck with a zone. NE has been picking apart the Steelers zone for years. In fact, the only reason that the Steelers have two super bowls over the last decade is that they didn't have to play NE in the playoffs.

To answer your question though, I wonder if teams stick with zone because of personnel. If you don't have good physical cover corners, then trying to play press man could be even worse. I don't think the Steelers have that.

A lot of it has to do with the horses you have. The Steelers' talent level in the secondary isn't great.

The goal is not to blitz and get pressure. They added the 2 TE formation as a bit of a workaround for teams loading up with DBs in nickel and dime. They'll go 2 TE and hurry up until you call TO or get rolled for a few plays. They'll roll blount out there and just hammer your DBs at the LOS. It's a pick your poison type of thing, and their O-line is as healthy and good as its ever been.

Yep. They get you in an unfavorable sub package, pick up the pace to prevent you from correcting, and they hammer you.

Well , their O line is definitely healthy and they are a key to their success. Also a key is their constant holding on most every play ( I'm talking hands on the outside if the shoulder holding that is rarely if ever called on NE. At least not when the game is still in doubt, when it matters most. I've never seen one team get such complicit officiating game in and game out, even when they are calling these holds on the opponent. It's one thing if they are " letting things go" out there for BOTH teams, then fine . This isn't the case, however. It's funny, the controversial call vs KC OLine in their two point try last week struck up a conversation here. Would that flag have come out if the NE OLine mugged Harrison like that? The general consensus was absolutely not and I'd be inclined to agree. Also their dbs clutch and grab jerseys at the start of routes all the time. Almost never called. If you watch both teams you really can't miss it. Try it sometime. I just wonder why .

I can work with that!

Oh I know its not easy, but the zone certainly doesn't work

Funny - I also read the article and was thinking the same thing during the game.

As people have mentioned - pressure up the middle and tight coverage off the line. It drives me crazy when teams think they will just drop people in coverage with no rush and think it will work.

One of the most important pieces I would add though is not just pressure, but HIT him. Once he gets hit a few times he starts getting more inaccurate and folding into the fetal position more often when he feels the rush. Give him a (non-penalty inducing) push or a shove even after the ball is out. Let him know you are there every single play. I also don't understand why teams don't do more to force him to throw outside - that is the one pass he really doesn't throw well.

I don't care if you don't have the ideal personnel to do otherwise - sitting in a zone with no pass rush is just stupid. It drives me insane when teams do it. You are almost guaranteed to lose if you play passive - what do you have to lose to be more aggressive?

You are right on about hitting him, hard and often. In fact I would take a page out of the '70's Oakland Raiders playbook and hit him really hard even after he has thrown the ball. Be very aggressive and make him wince and whine. Sure it may cost you a couple of 15 yard penalties but I would do it early and give him something to think about and he clearly does. I'm not talking about intentionally hurting him but finish your tackle. Its funny that is something I thought Rex would coach his team to do like his father.