The Trump Economy

GG

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

61% also think upper income Americans pay too little in federal taxes (40% - lean Republican/Republican, 82% - lean Democrat/Democrat). That's where the big debate is going to take place.

Only 61%? Everyone thinks upper income Americans don't pay enough in taxes. Warren Buffett, Bill Gates, countless celebrities ALL say they need to pay more in taxes.

Yet you can count the number of them that voluntarily pay more taxes on the hand of a bad woodshop teacher.

It's like saying "I support the troops." Sounds good...until they need you in the battlefield.

Only 61%? Everyone thinks upper income Americans don't pay enough in taxes. Warren Buffett, Bill Gates, countless celebrities ALL say they need to pay more in taxes.

Yet you can count the number of them that voluntarily pay more taxes on the hand of a bad woodshop teacher.

It's like saying "I support the troops." Sounds good...until they need you in the battlefield.

the richest liberals gave 0 or $10 as donations in for the tax returns I processed back in the day

Warren Buffett, Bill Gates, countless celebrities ALL say they need to pay more in taxes.

You know how it is - they say they need to pay more in taxes, but do they? Of course not - it's enough that they advocate for higher taxes for the wealthy. That's how they earn the adoration of the left - advocate something that they have no intention of imposing on themselves, and voila! They now become wealthy, influential social warriors against the injustices of capitalism.

Well, only 11% think they pay too much so I'm sure Republican tax breaks for the wealthy will go over great. I think what they pay right now is fair at 39.6% which is what we had under Clinton.

Edited by Doc Brown

If Trump proposed this, the Republican donors heads would explode and you'd see Trump's popularity go through the roof. You want to win people over? This is how you do it. Through their wallet. Give the tax breaks to the middle class and not the rich. It will never happen, but I admire Bannon at least pushing for it.

Steve Bannon is causing a stir inside the administration by pushing an idea that's anathema to most Republicans: raising taxes on the wealthiest Americans to pay for steep middle and working-class tax cuts. (Some officials who've heard Bannon's idea think it's crazy, but the President's chief strategist believes it's a potent populist idea.)

• Bannon has told colleagues he wants the top income tax bracket to "have a 4 in front of it." (The top bracket is currently 39.6% for Americans who earn more than $418,400.)
  • It's classic Bannon – pushing a maximalist position that's reviled by the Republican establishment.

If Trump proposed this, the Republican donors heads would explode and you'd see Trump's popularity go through the roof. You want to win people over? This is how you do it. Through their wallet. Give the tax breaks to the middle class and not the rich. It will never happen, but I admire Bannon at least pushing for it.
Steve Bannon is causing a stir inside the administration by pushing an idea that's anathema to most Republicans: raising taxes on the wealthiest Americans to pay for steep middle and working-class tax cuts. (Some officials who've heard Bannon's idea think it's crazy, but the President's chief strategist believes it's a potent populist idea.)
  • Bannon has told colleagues he wants the top income tax bracket to "have a 4 in front of it." (The top bracket is currently 39.6% for Americans who earn more than $418,400.)
  • It's classic Bannon – pushing a maximalist position that's reviled by the Republican establishment.

I'd get behind that plan. cut taxes for people who need it the most, not the least.

I'd get behind that plan. cut taxes for people who need it the most, not the least.

On what planet do you anticipate this will EVER happen?

Okay, maybe a team of lawmakers drawn from any local phonebook, instead of 95% of them being lawyers from top 20 schools?

Some have posited they'd rather be ruled by 100 Senators randomly picked from a phonebook than from 100 randomly picked from the faculty of Harvard.

Edited by row_33

A few questions: Do you believe that all investment strategies carry the same potential for gain? Do you think managing money is a talent/skill equally possessed by all/most people? If not, what do you think is the best indicator of the talent/skill of money management?

Okay, maybe a team of lawmakers drawn from any local phonebook, instead of 95% of them being lawyers from top 20 schools?

Some have posited they'd rather be ruled by 100 Senators randomly picked from a phonebook than from 100 randomly picked from the faculty of Harvard.

The US had a top rate of over 40% for over a quarter of the last century, just FYI.

The US had a top rate of over 40% for over a quarter of the last century, just FYI.

The question is how did that compare to the rest of the Western countries???

Not sure how your comment has anything to do as a response to me, you can do better... right???

The question is how did that compare to the rest of the Western countries???

Not sure how your comment has anything to do as a response to me, you can do better... right???

Your comment indicated you didn't think a 40% rate on top earners would ever happen. If I misunderstood you my comment doesn't make sense.

As for how our rates compare to other Western countries, they're on the low end across the board.

Your comment indicated you didn't think a 40% rate on top earners would ever happen. If I misunderstood you my comment doesn't make sense.

As for how our rates compare to other Western countries, they're on the low end across the board.

No problem... I'm an accountant and know the rate going back to the 60s. The US has been all over the map these years, wondering how it compared at times to Japan and Germany and England.

The comment I answered to was that someone would implement cuts JUST FOR THOSE WHO NEED IT... that's cute and sweet, I had a great laugh there.

The worst thing I come across is rates more than 100%, usually inflicted to stop royalties or property from leaving another country, usually Europe...

I don't. I'm a realist and i understand those with money in this country have outsized and undue influence, and they'll always act in a manner of self-preservation like anyone would.

Car sales continue to sputter. The three major U.S. automakers all reported sharp declines in June sales compared to a year ago.

U.S. vehicle sales have lagged behind 2016 levels every month this year. If that performance continues, this year will mark the first since 2009 that industrywide sales declined.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/07/03/news/companies/june-car-sales/index.html

Well that certainly isn't making America great again. Time for Trump to make another hollow promise like the one to Carrier employees who are still losing their jobs.

Car sales continue to sputter. The three major U.S. automakers all reported sharp declines in June sales compared to a year ago.

U.S. vehicle sales have lagged behind 2016 levels every month this year. If that performance continues, this year will mark the first since 2009 that industrywide sales declined.

Well that certainly isn't making America great again. Time for Trump to make another hollow promise like the one to Carrier employees who are still losing their jobs.

I'm sure if Clinton were elected car sales would be going strong. Because it's not like the industry is cyclical or anything.

You know what I appreciate about your posts? You're completely bipartisan. I remember well how many times you came here to criticize Barack Obama's hollow promises to Caterpillar. And Gitmo detainees. And ACA to keep your plan and your doctor

You truly spread your criticism across all party lines and I, for one, just want to ...

Oh. Wait. Sorry.

I had you confused with someone capable of independent thought.

Carry on.

You know what I appreciate about your posts? You're completely bipartisan. I remember well how many times you came here to criticize Barack Obama's hollow promises to Caterpillar. And Gitmo detainees. And ACA to keep your plan and your doctor

You truly spread your criticism across all party lines and I, for one, just want to ...

Oh. Wait. Sorry.

I had you confused with someone capable of independent thought.

Carry on.

Your memory is going with old age. Don't you remember Pasta Joe telling everyone how Cash For Clunkers is going to revive car sales? Good times.

You mean the 53% who pay no federal income tax should pay less?