San Diego - looking for advice

thebug

Doing an RV trip in March. After heading to the Grand Canyon, Vegas and visiting a buddy in Quartzsite AZ, we will be heading to San Diego. Any tips would be appreciated. Myself, wife, kids (12 and 14.)

Places to see, best burgers, best pints, etc etc.

Sarcasm and insults are also welcome!

Cheers!

San Diego Zoo is one of the best zoos, period.

Sea World. Go early.

Legoland A lot of fun if you've never been, but the rides are not so great (relatively speaking). If you look around, you can easily find "Kid free with paid adult" coupons.

USS Midway is a great vessel and tour.

For food, I haven't been in years, but look for Croces in the Gaslamp district. Opened by Jim Croce's wife. Sometimes their son (AJ) plays there. Dude is terrific.

For food, I haven't been in years, but look for Croces in the Gaslamp district. Opened by Jim Croce's wife. Sometimes their son (AJ) plays there. Dude is terrific.

Apparently Croce's closed for good a year ago: http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Croces-Park-West-Closes-for-Good-366499371.html

I've never been there, but Joshua Tree National Park is gorgeous if you're looking for something outdoorsy. The rock climbing there is supposed to be magnificent.

1 - Brewery tour - Green Flash, Ballast Point, Stone

2 - USS Midway

3 - Take the water taxi to Coronado and walk to the hotel http://coronadovisitorcenter.com/the-place-to-be-outdoors/hotel-del-coronado-tour/

4 - Tour some of the military sites http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/destinations/2016/07/02/san-diego-navy-attractions/86612778/

On #4 in the link, Gen Rosecrans was from the Delaware OH area (near where I live) and was a key Civil War general. He helped develop and improved the field ambulance. He became a large land owner in CA and then a US Rep from CA.

5 - Say goodbye to the Qualcomm

Edited by BuffaloBud

Don't end up slapping your meat on a street corner.

Even if it's in Winslow Arizona?

Pullano's Pizza

13848 N 51st Ave

Glendale AZ

This is the home of The Bills Backers

Phoenix ( Wild West )

John McCartney is their President.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

This is timely. I am doing a trip with the wife for 5 days in march too. Staying in gaslamp district. Looking for good tips on fish tacos and some fine dining.

Also, any tips on spots to surf/rent surfing stuff for a relative beginner? I assume you can surf in march in a wetsuit in San Diego or is it too cold?

The water is cold in the middle of summer I can't imagine what it would feel like in March.

Do a Trolley Tour - it is hop on hop off - can see many parts of the city that way. Make sure you go to the Hotel Del. We did a tour of Petco Park and LOVED it (we are big baseball people). there is a cool restaurant right around the corner called the Tin Fish where we had some great fish tacos.

For real? What's the point of San Diego then?!

San Diego is chilly for this former Florida boy (who's never been to that part of California.. I think LA is slightly warmer, but I'd love to hear from those who know). It's high on my places to visit, but the "perfect weather" is slightly on my cool side. I know up the coast wet suits are important, almost like New England! I'm no expert, but that didn't surprise me. I still want to get there though!

My "chilly" is some people's perfect. But i don't think the water warms up much.