Doug Whaley 1-on-1

Really, guys?

Read these quotes. I think the message is loud and clear. I'll bold the key words and phrases.

"We're not looking to just make the playoffs. We were looking for a coach who agreed with us that we want to build from the foundation up a team that can consistently compete for championships."

"The head coach, myself, Jim Monos, the quarterback coach and offensive coordinator - we have to sit down and explain the vision we see of the qb we want on our team now and in the future. Then we'll come to a consensus: does this meet our criteria of a long-term answer at that position?"

"To the fans I say: we recognize the seventeen years, absolutely. But we're asking you to recognize that we're trying to build something for the long-term sustainabilty of success. And I can't give you a timeframe--year one, year two--but I will say; every game--like Coach says--you'll see a competitive team out there in position that won't beat themselves and that will be in a position to try to win."

"It's not going to be a quick fix. He knows that and we know that. And anything that's going to be sustainable for a long time is hard to do. So the work ethic - not only from ownership on down - is going to be permeated through this building but it's also going to be permeated in the locker room. These guys got to know - and they will know - that there's a standard we're setting."

Anyone who can read these quotes and not think "rebuild" is fooling themselves.

They don't care about the streak. They don't care to squeak out 10 games and sneak into the dance as a wild card and lose the first game. They want to blow this thing up and build a brand new foundation of a team that will win consistently and compete for championships year after year.

A teardown and rebuild is exactly what he's saying!

What about the phrase "every game--like Coach says--you'll see a competitive team out there in position that won't beat themselves and that will be in a position to try to win"?

That doesn't sound entirely consistent with "teardown and rebuild" to me? They might, they might not.

I'd have to go back to see who it was, but someone here had a good point: I think when they hired Rex, they indeed felt that they were improvement on offense away from being a playoff team.

It's possible part of what Rex sold them in his interview was the notion of Tyrod as a hidden franchise QB gem - a guy who could win enough games now in a run-heavy offense to get you deep into the playoffs a la San Francisco and who could be developed into the "franchise guy", as Roman hoped to do with Kaepernick.

Now 2 years later, a lot of the pieces of that D are gone and Tyrod is looking like "perhaps" at QB. So the vision is different. But how different, we'll know only when FA opens.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really, guys?

Read these quotes. I think the message is loud and clear. I'll bold the key words and phrases.

"We're not looking to just make the playoffs. We were looking for a coach who agreed with us that we want to build from the foundation up a team that can consistently compete for championships."

"The head coach, myself, Jim Monos, the quarterback coach and offensive coordinator - we have to sit down and explain the vision we see of the qb we want on our team now and in the future. Then we'll come to a consensus: does this meet our criteria of a long-term answer at that position?"

"To the fans I say: we recognize the seventeen years, absolutely. But we're asking you to recognize that we're trying to build something for the long-term sustainabilty of success. And I can't give you a timeframe--year one, year two--but I will say; every game--like Coach says--you'll see a competitive team out there in position that won't beat themselves and that will be in a position to try to win."

"It's not going to be a quick fix. He knows that and we know that. And anything that's going to be sustainable for a long time is hard to do. So the work ethic - not only from ownership on down - is going to be permeated through this building but it's also going to be permeated in the locker room. These guys got to know - and they will know - that there's a standard we're setting."

Anyone who can read these quotes and not think "rebuild" is fooling themselves.

They don't care about the streak. They don't care to squeak out 10 games and sneak into the dance as a wild card and lose the first game. They want to blow this thing up and build a brand new foundation of a team that will win consistently and compete for championships year after year.

A teardown and rebuild is exactly what he's saying!

I am pretty sure my head is not in the sand because I heard this just fine. What's more, I am not senile yet so I actually did comprehend it. :D

For me the key takeaway here is regarding QB. Clearest indication yet, beyond rumors, that they intend to move on from Tyrod. While I have been in favor of keeping him for two years while developing a young QB as the best chance of remaining at least competitive in the short term, the other side of this argument is why waste two years running a QB specific offense when you know it is not good enough in the long term. (a sentiment I am sure many here agree with) Once you come to that conclusion, you are rebuilding by definition.

Next, the Bills have 24 free agents. They have only 1 NFL WR under contract. They have 1, maybe 2 NFL caliber CBs under contact, 1 safety at least near he end of his career, and 1 who may or may not play, and is in danger of minimally a career ending injury every time he steps on the field. They have 2 NFL quality LBs under contract, and both essentially play the same position in 4/3. Kyle Williams may well retire. This has all been true, so was there no expectation that some rebuilding needed to be done?

They do, however have some core pieces. Very good weapons on offense in McCoy, Watkins, and Clay. 4/5's of a very good OL. Strong DL, a couple of good corners, Ragland and Brown even if one of them ends up playing out of ideal position.

The comment of "we are close" and this "interview" were made on the same day. How do you reconcile the two? First, I and most fans probably, took the close comment as a bit of hyperbole. Close in the sense we are not starting from scratch, but not close if your goal is to win a championship.

Perhaps its all semantics, but this not say tear down/major rebuild to me. There is clearly work to be done, and that was certainly true before Whaley's comments. The stuff about building a foundation, work ethic, character and all that is just GM/Coach speak. As the build the roster, this speaks to their philosophy. Not a big deal. A "major rebuild" to me would imply salary dumps, trades of players for draft picks, that type of thing. If we start to see that - say a trade of McCoy for a third round draft pick, or cutting Jerry Hughes, etc - you are now in tank/major rebuild mode. I do not see that in anything he said.

Edited by MDFan

"Instilling core values?"

what does that mean. have there been no core values previously?

"It's not going to be a quick fix."

oh.

"These guys have to know that there's a standard that we are setting."

ummm, ok.

evidently, this has been the ongoing problem.

the previous bills regime, of which the GM was a part of, failed to establish core values or set any standards.

yes, thanks for your time.

jw

oh.

ummm, ok.

the previous bills regime, of which the GM was a part of, failed to establish core values or set any standards.

jw

John - Is Whaley still in trouble? Or does he appear to be safe now?

He's really REALLY saying, "look at the darn schedule for next year. It's tough as crap even if we had vintage Jim Kelly as QB we'd be 8-8. Without that kind of QB expect 4-12 season. So given the schedule, the free agents we got, we're gonna dump salaries, tank, and give a lot of developmental players on the field training and build for the future. On the bright side, we'll get our franchise QB in 2018 draft!"

So, FINALLY, the messaging, the expectation setting from the team is reasonable and better. If there was one glaring fault with the last 3 years, it was setting the expectation to the fans that Bills were going to the playoffs. They were smoking something if they thought that. And all the experts who are PAID for reporting and analysis on the Bills who bought into that were on dope. It's ok if the fans are on dope!. But not the guys getting paid for the professional "evaluation". That's why they sound so bitter when they write. They were misled and knew it and are now angry that they ever thought that way and are taking it out on the Bills' organization. Heck, it's your friggin fault for not using your friggin head!

No wonder whats his face ran to the Rams. He didn't want to OC a team without a QB!

What better way to start a rebuild than by having someone in the thick of the last one "leading" the way?

The GM has his finger up in the air to gauge the wind and it's blowing toward rebuild. Not surprisingly he's modified his message.

Whaley's learned so much from Brandon over the years.

Edited by BillsVet

Seriously.

Are we supposed to fall for this BS?

Only the extremely naive.

What better way to start a rebuild than by having someone in the thick of the last one "leading" the way?

The GM has his finger up in the air to gauge the wind and it's blowing toward rebuild. Not surprisingly he's modified his message.

Whaley's learned so much from Brandon over the years.

Ain't that the truth. :lol:

oh.

ummm, ok.

jw

Club Ryan is over and done. The new Sheriff is here now, and it may take him longer than I said before to round up all the scoundrels.

Wow, we must be starved for news, because this is both super old and nothing but speculation. This is a man that whose stated 2nd of 2 requirements for winning is "winning". I doubt parsing his words will yield very much of value.

Edited by ndirish1978

Wow, we must be starved for news, because this is both super old and nothing but speculation. This is a man that whose stated 2nd of 2 requirements for winning is "winning". I doubt parsing his words will yield very much of value.

Especially given the type of interview it was following the introduction of a new HC. It's ridiculous to parse his words to come up with a conclusion on the direction of the franchise moving forward with respect to a tear down/rebuild.

I dunno - does keeping Tyrod prohibit you from drafting your long-term answer? If there's the guy you really like at 10, you can absolutely pull the trigger.

I mean look at what Philly did, they brought back bradford and signed daniels. Then traded up for Wentz. They purged almost all of their bad contracts in one year and are in much better shape to be competitive in the future.

Don't say we won't because we haven't in the past, its a new owner and a GM who probably feel's he has a bit more freedom. I just hate the idea of going into the draft with no one... we don't pick high enough and i fear the guy we really want isn't there.

I dunno - does keeping Tyrod prohibit you from drafting your long-term answer? If there's the guy you really like at 10, you can absolutely pull the trigger.

I mean look at what Philly did, they brought back bradford and signed daniels. Then traded up for Wentz. They purged almost all of their bad contracts in one year and are in much better shape to be competitive in the future.

Don't say we won't because we haven't in the past, its a new owner and a GM who probably feel's he has a bit more freedom. I just hate the idea of going into the draft with no one... we don't pick high enough and i fear the guy we really want isn't there.

I mean if the tank is in you have to figure we're looking ahead to the 2018 draft class. If that's the case, why keep Tyrod at all? If it is not in, who gets drafted at 10 and wouldn't be expected to start immediately and if he doesn't, would you really want that rookie learning about being a QB from someone who doesn't really have a prototypical game?

No it doesn't. But apparently Whaley thinks it does.

I was always hopeful that Whaley was smarter than he looked/sounded but now it's becoming apparent that his incompetence isn't just relegated to his public speaking skills.

@JohnMurphyShow

.@ChrisBrownBills "This is a team with talent on its roster and the talent hasn't been maximized on the field."

#Bills Insider @ChrisBrownBills "The only thing that has shifted here is the philosophy of the team in Sean McDermott's image."

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I feel like they are expecting to win Now inside the building.

However...

Whaley is selling "patience" and core values to fans so the expectations are not "playoffs or bust" like they were last season. I think McDermott gets a full 3 seasons to get this ship righted.

So we hire a focussed, disciplined, faith-based coach to replace Rex Free Love on the Free Love Freeway Ryan and people wonder where this "core values" talk is suddenly coming from?

You don't think the culture is being driven by...oh, I don't know...the HC we all expected to come in and change the culture, do you?

And isn't this the antithesis to what infuriated the Wex Pwomised crowd for two years?

Edited by The Big Cat