Doug Whaley 1-on-1

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I definitely wasn't criticizing Pegula for it. I was just pointing out the fact that it's a struggle for him as it is for his GM and it may be a reason for empathy in just that regard as evidenced by Pegula's comment that he wasn't worried about Whaley winning press conferences.

I didn't mean to come off as thinking you were saying any of that. I just added my thoughts.

I don't know why some people draw such negative reactions to this. Guess they're the ones who have the issue. Nothing wrong with Whaley. And, the media training is a crock of ****!!! The media is so !@#$ing overrated as to what they think they're importance is. The only problem Whaley has is he hasn't gotten to the playoffs, but he will.

Good post!

What is all this about propaganda? And damage control? The interview was asking Whaley about the new coach, why he hired him, what he thinks of him, Tyrod's future etc.

Geez people, you need to get over this obsession with a damn press conference that has zero effect on the football team.

Edited by What a Tuel

Oh look: A Doug Whaley 1on1 after the Rex Ryan hire.

Damage control after the Marrone desertion!!!!

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Bills-Focus-GM-Doug-Whaley-1-on-1/def35ea4-ca7e-48a9-bbda-85668733ff00

You guys are being pretty silly at this point for routine interviews and videos by the Bills in house media.

Edit: Oh look: A Sean McDermott 1on1 in the same format!!! What are the Bills doing? How dare they??? #wherearetherealreportersthebillsneverdoinhouseinterviewswithplayersandcoaches #dysfunction

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Watch-Sean-McDermott-1-on-1/937e9bdb-ec88-41a4-b54b-a44250b98fb0

Edited by What a Tuel

What is all this about propaganda? And damage control? The interview was asking Whaley about the new coach, why he hired him, what he thinks of him, Tyrod's future etc.

Geez people, you need to get over this obsession with a damn press conference that has zero effect on the football team.

Great Post!

At about 2:05 into the interview, Whaley is seen talking to McDermott in front of a wide screen with a list of names on the left hand side, a football field background, and squares going across the screen with text in them.

Can anyone tell me what they are looking at? Is this some kind of a standard GM or coaching tool?

Edit: at 6:11 into the interview, they walk into what looks like a large meeting room with dry-erase boards across the side. There's a freakin' picture of the helicopter covering a couple of the dry erase boards. WTF?

Whaley seemed to be stressing building for the future and nothing about "we're close". If that's the case, a number of the older, more expensive players may meet the Turk this year, and Tyrod may be gone.

I don't know that I approve. I don't like the idea of blowing things up in the hope of improving in 2-3 years. I think what you wind up doing is instilling a culture of losing.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

At about 2:05 into the interview, Whaley is seen talking to McDermott in front of a wide screen with a list of names on the left hand side, a football field background, and squares going across the screen with text in them.

Can anyone tell me what they are looking at? Is this some kind of a standard GM or coaching tool?

Looks like a depth chart.

Yeah he struggles with public speaking for sure. But you know what, that's what makes me like him even more. Instead of depicting him as a blubbering idiot (not saying you are) for me it humanizes him. He's an endearing person and he's trying to build a family like atmosphere and a culture of continuity. He's mentioned it multiple times. Unfortunately in the football business if you don't win - you can't follow through with that. But I'll tell you that if a coach wants a place that if you produce you'll get treated very well - this is the place. It's the reason I know Buffalo is an attractive place to be and it's because of the Pegula's.

The reason for interviews like in this thread - is evidence they want us to feel better as fans. The reality is some fans want to hear these interviews and feel better, some fans will bash the crap out of it, and others just know what it is - aren't bothered by it - and just want to win. The common denominator is we all want to win. That includes the fans and the team. The owners know we've been through hell supporting this team but they also realize they've only owned the team for 2 years so they're not responsible for all of it. There's nothing wrong with them caring about that and at the same time not accepting responsibility for it.

^^^^ Agreed

Edit: at 6:11 into the interview, they walk into what looks like a large meeting room with dry-erase boards across the side. There's a freakin' picture of the helicopter covering a couple of the dry erase boards. WTF?

Whaley seemed to be stressing building for the future and nothing about "we're close". If that's the case, a number of the older, more expensive players may meet the Turk this year, and Tyrod may be gone.

I don't know that I approve. I don't like the idea of blowing things up in the hope of improving in 2-3 years. I think what you wind up doing is instilling a culture of losing.

I have no idea what they were discussing but any good GM thinks short, mid, AND long term, at all times.

I have been a Whaley fan but if they don't keep Tyrod, and don't have a serious trade for a serious QB, I have little faith left in him.

Oh look: A Doug Whaley 1on1 after the Rex Ryan hire.

Damage control after the Marrone desertion!!!!

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Bills-Focus-GM-Doug-Whaley-1-on-1/def35ea4-ca7e-48a9-bbda-85668733ff00

You guys are being pretty silly at this point for routine interviews and videos by the Bills in house media.

Edit: Oh look: A Sean McDermott 1on1 in the same format!!! What are the Bills doing? How dare they??? #wherearetherealreportersthebillsneverdoinhouseinterviewswithplayersandcoaches #dysfunction

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Watch-Sean-McDermott-1-on-1/937e9bdb-ec88-41a4-b54b-a44250b98fb0

Dude: step away from the Espresso

Grow a pair, Doug, talk to a real journalist. Though maybe this is his probationary session and if he doesn't lay a turd they'll try on a generally well-behaved journalist next.

What do you want him to say to a "real" journalist? You want him to answer what exactly? I'm curious.