McDermott in regards to Tyrod

New Bills coach Sean McDermott spoke on the phone with Tyrod Taylor Thursday and met with the quarterback for a few minutes before his introductory press conference Friday at One Bills Drive.

"Fine young man," McDermott said. "I remember going against Tyrod a little bit in the preseason, I’ve watched him in crossover tape, so I know the skill set, I know what he brings to the table."

Let me preface by saying I am a 100% Tyrod supporter. However, I find it interesting that Tyrod was actually at the building on the day of McDermotts press conference. According to McDermott they spoke over the phone first and then they actually meet eachother right before he goes out and talks to the media.

Now call me crazy, but why would a coach who isn't a supporter of Tyrod go out of his way to talk to the man ? I find it hard to believe that Tyrod being in the building was just a coincidence, so McDermott must have asked him to come. I think its telling that McDermott, a guy who talked at his press conference about building a strong relationship with his players, went out of his way to talk to Tyrod. It was the first thing he did after he was given the job. If were moving on from Tyrod, why would he do this? I'll tell you why. Because Tyrod is a veteran leader on the team who commands the respect from all our other players and McDermott is no fool. We burned Tyrod bad at the end of the season and have done nothing to give him assurances he is in our plans. I think McDermott changed that today.

https://buffalonews.com/2017/01/13/sean-mcdermott-cool-tyrod-taylors-future-bills/

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also depends on what the OC is gonna want to run as his system. If you're u get an OC who expects 30-35 throws a game, including over the middle, Tyrod won't be able to execute the system. As Shady gets older he's gonna need less of the load so I really don't think this changes anything. Let's wait to see who the OC is.

New Bills coach Sean McDermott spoke on the phone with Tyrod Taylor Thursday and met with the quarterback for a few minutes before his introductory press conference Friday at One Bills Drive.

"Fine young man," McDermott said. "I remember going against Tyrod a little bit in the preseason, I’ve watched him in crossover tape, so I know the skill set, I know what he brings to the table."

Let me preface by saying I am a 100% Tyrod supporter. However, I find it interesting that Tyrod was actually at the building on the day of McDermotts press conference. According to McDermott they spoke over the phone first and then they actually meet eachother right before he goes out and talks to the media.

Now call me crazy, but why would a coach who isn't a supporter of Tyrod go out of his way to talk to the man ? I find it hard to believe that Tyrod being in the building was just a coincidence, so McDermott must have asked him to come. I think its telling that McDermott, a guy who talked at his press conference about building a strong relationship with his players, went out of his way to talk to Tyrod. It was the first thing he did after he was given the job. If were moving on from Tyrod, why would he do this? I'll tell you why. Because Tyrod is a veteran leader on the team who commands the respect from all our other players and McDermott is no fool. We burned Tyrod bad at the end of the season and have done nothing to give him assurances he is in our plans. I think McDermott changed that today.

https://buffalonews.com/2017/01/13/sean-mcdermott-cool-tyrod-taylors-future-bills/

My Jerry Sullivan question for McDermott would be:

"Will you be using the same methodical approach of evaluation that brought you to the conclusion that Josh Norman was only good because he was in YOUR scheme." :doh:

Greggo exuded the same confidence in his process.

Then he hired a bad staff and the next thing you know he's got the hated fat guys on his DL and he'd lost control of his D to Dick LeBeau.

Gailey needed to take an entire SEASON to evaluate his personnel. :lol:

We've seen some doozies Dermott McSean......your "I know what a winner looks and tastes like" :rolleyes: is just BS rhetoric if you don't show US what a winner looks like.

In the actual presser (transcript here) McDermott said "we talked on the phone yesterday and I appreciate his willingness to reach out." That wording "willingness to reach out" about a phone call usually means "he called me".

McDermott also said something about players "a number of whom are here today", so evidently a number of players came to see the presser/meet the coach. I don't think you can conclude that McDermott asked him to come or went out of his way to talk to Taylor. They may have had all the players who came in an area so the coach could individually meet him. He also said he was going to call every player. That's the kind of guy our new HC is.

Call me crazy, but I don't understand why people are so eager to disbelieve what's said. The owner said Taylor's future is still to be evaluated. The GM said Taylor had a tremendous year, they hadn't lost confidence in him, and they will evaluate Taylor along with the new HC. The HC said let's not get ahead of ourselves, we're going to evaluate all the players.

It sounds to me as though no decision has been made on Taylor by anyone, and they're going to evaluate him along with the rest of the players before making a decision.

I'd be willing to bet it was Tyrod's and/or his agent's decision to be there. And it was smart. Kiss up to the new HC and hope he keeps you and your $16M/year salary.

More like establish a relationship so he feels obligated to give you a quick answer one way or another.

His agent will start talking to prospective teams right after the Super Bowl and I'm sure they would like to know for sure well in advance of free agency

I don't know why some people are so sure that Tyrod's fate has already been decided, one way or the other?

I think they didn't play him in the last game, because if he was injured, they would have no choice but to pay him. It pissed him off, but it was the right thing to do.

I think the Bills are keeping their options open, and there is nothing more to any of this. Certainly, there was no reason to get rid of him before they found a new HC, because most of them would surely realize they don't have anything else to work with, and would at least want the option of keeping him. Now that they have a defensive HC, they probably feel the same way...let the OC at least have Tyrod as an option.

There is no reason not to keep him as an option at this point.

In the actual presser (transcript here) McDermott said "we talked on the phone yesterday and I appreciate his willingness to reach out." That wording "willingness to reach out" about a phone call usually means "he called me".

McDermott also said something about players "a number of whom are here today", so evidently a number of players came to see the presser/meet the coach. I don't think you can conclude that McDermott asked him to come or went out of his way to talk to Taylor. They may have had all the players who came in an area so the coach could individually meet him. He also said he was going to call every player. That's the kind of guy our new HC is.

Call me crazy, but I don't understand why people are so eager to disbelieve what's said. The owner said Taylor's future is still to be evaluated. The GM said Taylor had a tremendous year, they hadn't lost confidence in him, and they will evaluate Taylor along with the new HC. The HC said let's not get ahead of ourselves, we're going to evaluate all the players.

It sounds to me as though no decision has been made on Taylor by anyone, and they're going to evaluate him along with the rest of the players before making a decision.

This.

My Jerry Sullivan question for McDermott would be:

"Will you be using the same methodical approach of evaluation that brought you to the conclusion that Josh Norman was only good because he was in YOUR scheme." :doh:

Greggo exuded the same confidence in his process.

Then he hired a bad staff and the next thing you know he's got the hated fat guys on his DL and he'd lost control of his D to Dick LeBeau.

Gailey needed to take an entire SEASON to evaluate his personnel. :lol:

We've seen some doozies Dermott McSean......your "I know what a winner looks and tastes like" :rolleyes: is just BS rhetoric if you don't show US what a winner looks like.

Oh Dear, the Ol' show me the baby post. Love what you did with his name, sorta like my spelling of Tie Rod. Edited by DirtDart

Who knows... McD's is probably evaluating and seeing if it will work. Tyrod does a lot of things well, less negatives than what's out in FA.

That's right. We should have a good idea on how its gonna go when we find out who the OC will be.

This. They will evaluate the talent, decide on which scheme will work with the chess pieces they have and decide if they can win with Tyrod or if they can find someone else better suited to what they wanna do on offense.

I'd be willing to bet it was Tyrod's and/or his agent's decision to be there. And it was smart. Kiss up to the new HC and hope he keeps you and your $16M/year salary.

Kiss up? Hell nah. Tyrod dont play that ****. That was him being professional and establishing a solid business relationship in case he does become his HC.

First it was wait until there is a HC to make a decision on TT, now it is wait until there is an OC to decide on TT. What's next? Wait until there is a new QB coach?

IMO, a new coach isn't going to hitch his wagon to a very limited, expensive, "the other guys holdover" QB. He's going to want his own, they all do unless the new coach is inheriting a stud QB.

If TT is kept and doesn't fit well for 2 or 3 (that's what his contract dictates) years then what? Is McDermott toast? Does McDermott get more time because the QB let him down? I don't think it's a situation McDermott wants to put himself in. I think he would be more comfortable going with the unknown at QB.

The way everything has transpired, I can't see TT being the QB going forward. I think TPegs and DW already made that decision weeks and weeks ago. I think their actions and rumors the past few weeks have said as much.

IMO of course.

First it was wait until there is a HC to make a decision on TT, now it is wait until there is an OC to decide on TT. What's next? Wait until there is a new QB coach?

IMO, a new coach isn't going to hitch his wagon to a very limited, expensive, "the other guys holdover" QB. He's going to want his own, they all do unless the new coach is inheriting a stud QB.

If TT is kept and doesn't fit well for 2 or 3 (that's what his contract dictates) years then what? Is McDermott toast? Does McDermott get more time because the QB let him down? I don't think it's a situation McDermott wants to put himself in. I think he would be more comfortable going with the unknown at QB.

The way everything has transpired, I can't see TT being the QB going forward. I think TPegs and DW already made that decision weeks and weeks ago. I think their actions and rumors the past few weeks have said as much.

IMO of course.

Tyrod isn't expensive.

he will evaluate him and then decide. Also depends on if we can get a better QB.

Exactly. We are overthinking this. Tyrod is the best we have right now so why burn that bridge two months before you have to? Besides we don't even have an OC yet. Once the coaching staff is complete, they will evaluate and huddle with Whaley and the scouts and decide what their options are.

Am I correct that no trades can occur until the league year starts? Then we may not know for sure what Taylor's fate is right up to the last minute.