McDermott in regards to Tyrod

Yeah! Bring in Romo!

1st game of the season: WHAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Opps! There goes Romo..............

And it STILL would've been a wasted pick.......

Yep. Just saying that if the Bills didn't take him in the 1st, he would have gone 2nd round at the latest.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two QB's taken in the upper half of the draft in the last 8 years, Doc.

We don't take enough.

Again it's a matter of happenstance. They had Fitz and thought he could be the future. When they found out he wasn't, they liked EJ and he fizzled. This past draft they had no shot at the top-2 guys and the only other guy worth anything, Prescott, got a DUI before the draft.

Again it's a matter of happenstance. They had Fitz and thought he could be the future. When they found out he wasn't, they liked EJ and he fizzled. This past draft they had no shot at the top-2 guys and the only other guy worth anything, Prescott, got a DUI before the draft.

What you call a matter of happenstance, I call making the wrong decisions prematurely on QB's due to desperation. Thinking Fitz and EJ were the answer was wrong.

Prescott got a DUI? Can't take him. We only take good boys like Darby and Karlos and Seantrel and Kiko, along with those saints in Incognito and Percy Harvin.

So one season is all it would take for you?

You said "if he busts." I assume you were making that call after year 1.

In reality there's a couple scenarios I could see happen.

1: Best case - Watson plays well, shows progress throughout the year, coaching staff is pleased with his grasp of the offense, Bills go anywhere from 6-10 to 9-7. Would still take a QB in the first next season

2: Most likely - Watson has his share of gaffes, bad games, good games. Serious questions remain about his abilities in the NFL. Bills go anywhere from 7-9 to 4-12. Would still take a QB in the first next season

3: Worst case - Watson is terrible, can't play at this level, throws picks left and right, doubts he'll ever put it all together. Bills go anywhere from 6-10 to 2-14. Would still take a QB in the first next season.

4: Injuries - Watson plays around the #2 scenario but only plays 6-10 games due to injuries, or heaven forbid, not more than a game or two. Would still take a QB in the first next season.

The bottom line is exchange any of the Bills 1st rounders in the last decade with a franchise QB and we make the playoffs. Gilmore, Dareus, Watkins, Shaq versus Luck, Cam, Carr/Bridgewater, Wentz/Dak is a no brainer.

Season #2: Open competition between Watson and 2018 rookie QB. Whoever wins plays. Then at the end of that year, you'll know if Watson is the guy or not and already have a backup in the wings. How much better off would the Bills have been to have Carr waiting behind EJ when we had to yank him in 2014?

Guys like Dareus and co are great pieces and nice to have, but they aren't getting you to the playoffs, let alone winning you a Superbowl without a QB.

Edited by FireChan

What would you consider a "bust" rookie season? You were advocating selecting a QB in 2014, the year after the Bills took EJ in the 2nd round. If Watson has a similar rookie season as EJ did, you'd draft another QB in the 1st round in 2018? One year is all he'd get? Not likely. Which is my point, so that removes Carr and Bridgewater (who is no better than TT) from the equation. The Bills never had a shot at Wentz, much less Luck, so I'm not sure why you'd mention them. Dak they had a shot at, but again many teams dinged him for the DUI and the Bills missed out on him by 4 spots, while the Cowboys were doing everything they could to draft someone else before him.

Bottom line is, it's not so easy to get a franchise QB and giving up on a guy after 1 year doesn't happen.

What would you consider a "bust" rookie season? You were advocating selecting a QB in 2014, the year after the Bills took EJ in the 2nd round. If Watson has a similar rookie season as EJ did, you'd draft another QB in the 1st round in 2018? One year is all he'd get? Not likely. Which is my point, so that removes Carr and Bridgewater (who is no better than TT) from the equation. The Bills never had a shot at Wentz, much less Luck, so I'm not sure why you'd mention them. Dak they had a shot at, but again many teams dinged him for the DUI and the Bills missed out on him by 4 spots, while the Cowboys were doing everything they could to draft someone else before him.

Bottom line is, it's not so easy to get a franchise QB and giving up on a guy after 1 year doesn't happen.

What would you consider a "bust" rookie season?

Uh, I guess around a Gabbert rookie year?

If Watson has a similar rookie season as EJ did, you'd draft another QB in the 1st round in 2018?

Already answered, yes.

One year is all he'd get?

What? Who said this?

Not likely.

What?

What would you consider a "bust" rookie season?

Uh, I guess around a Gabbert rookie year?

If Watson has a similar rookie season as EJ did, you'd draft another QB in the 1st round in 2018?

Already answered, yes.

One year is all he'd get?

What? Who said this?

Not likely.

What?

OK, Gabbert it is. You realize EJ had a far better rookie season, right? Yet you would have still drafted a QB in the first round in 2014?

Like I said, "not likely." Hindsight is great though, isn't it?

And some people insist the way to find that franchise QB is by drafting more than one each year. So basically they expect a QB to just show up playing like Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers. It happens once out of every 200 or so QBs drafted I suppose, Dak Prescott being a recent example. People also win lotteries, but that isn't considered a sound retirement plan.

OK, Gabbert it is. You realize EJ had a far better rookie season, right? Yet you would have still drafted a QB in the first round in 2014?

Like I said, "not likely." Hindsight is great though, isn't it?

Yes I would've. I said I wanted to at the time. That's not hindsight. What is so hard to understand about that?