McDermott Retains Crossman as ST Coordinator

Crossman was in Carolina as a ST coordinator I believe- could be a correlation.

Til 2009.

McDermott joined in 2011 with the new regime

My earlier joke aside, there just aren't that many candidates in the pool and he's likely familiar with very few.

He doesn't have deep college ties, you can't just steal an employed one (see marrone here) so you can find one of the handful unemployed in regime changes, talk to someone's assistant coordinator (but you prob know the one on your old team and maybe 2-3 by reputation and still need permission it's not like position and quality coaches with a huge pool and working with a lot over a few jobs)

So the guy that lasted two coaches and someone's trying to steal probably sounds fine enough

Edited by NoSaint

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Til 2009.

McDermott joined in 2011 with the new regime

My earlier joke aside, there just aren't that many candidates in the pool and he's likely familiar with very few.

He doesn't have deep college ties, you can't just steal an employed one (see marrone here) so you can find one of the handful unemployed in regime changes, talk to someone's assistant coordinator (but you prob know the one on your old team and maybe 2-3 by reputation and still need permission it's not like position and quality coaches with a huge pool and working with a lot over a few jobs)

So the guy that lasted two coaches and someone's trying to steal probably sounds fine enough

I agree but McDermott has been preparing all his life for this opportunity........and Danny Crosshairs is fine?

As you pointed out......after a brutal first year the Bills propped the heavily criticized Crossman up by aggressively stocking the ST's........because THEY COULD.......tons of cap space.

Fast forward a couple years and he's being asked to coach again and the backbreaking mistakes re-emerge.

In addition to the big return at the end of the Miami game that set up the field goal.......on the next play......the kickoff of OT.......Brandon Tate stood by the pylon and let the ball slowly roll into it rather than step in the field of play with one foot out of bounds and get the ball at the 40 instead of the 25.

The next week.......Gillislee :doh: ........I'm saying his units are unaware and unprepared.

McDermott invoked John Harbaugh and Dave Toub in his PC and then decided Crosshairs was fine. :doh:

Edited by #BADOL

It just doesn't make a lot of sense. There is no way McDermott could have evaluated last years special teams yet. If he saw all of the gaffes there is no way he could come to this conclusion. Not saying we're doomed but between this, keeping Whaley and not having an OC lined up yet this is seeming more and more like a half assed rebuild.

I would have been good with McDermott getting another ST coordinator because Crossman has been a mixed bag.

But, what a lot of people forget is that a lot of other things go into specials teams besides coaching. First, the HC has to devote enough attention and practice time for ST; second, the GM and HC have to bring in guys who can play ST and allow other guys to play on teams; third, injuries can be crushing to ST (when you're best ST players are injured or have to start and can no longer play on teams, it hurts); and finally, you have to have good kickers and returners.

So, maybe these coaches feel it wasn't a problem with coaching but with a combination of the other factors instead. Of course, I can't say one way or the other about some of those factors, but Carpenter has been pretty bad over the last two seasons, we haven't had a legitimate kickoff returner for a while (though Tate was good at punt returning), Whaley and Rex did try to bring in some ace Special Teamers, but we have also had a lot of injuries over the past four years.

So, I wasn't thrilled to hear he had been retained, but I'm wiling to give him another shot if the new coach believes in him.

Edited by folz

How is it possible that this guy was brought in by Doug Marrone, retained by Rex Ryan, and retained again by Sean McDermott?

Can't be all that common to stay with a team through 3 Head Coaches.

He's got pictures.

This is a terrible hire. I agree with other posters saying this is WAY too premature. McDermott couldn't possibly have reviewed all the film by now. Crossman may not have been awful, but the Gillislee F UP, and the inability to perform an onside kick are scathing indictments. So far, so bad for Mickey D.

Edited by Freddie's Dead

@buffalobills

McDermott: "It is official that we've retained Danny Crossman as Special Teams Coordinator." Says still in the process of hiring OC and DC.

Well, in the Ralph Wilson days it seemed that Chuck Lester had pictures or something on somebody as he stuck around thru several head coaching changes. Now it appears to be Danny Crossman.

I would have been good with McDermott getting another ST coordinator because Crossman has been a mixed bag.

But, what a lot of people forget is that a lot of other things go into specials teams besides coaching. First, the HC has to devote enough attention and practice time for ST; second, the GM and HC have to bring in guys who can play ST and allow other guys to play on teams; third, injuries can be crushing to ST (when you're best ST players are injured or have to start and can no longer play on teams, it hurts); and finally, you have to have good kickers and returners.

So, maybe these coaches feel it wasn't a problem with coaching but with a combination of the other factors instead. Of course, I can't say one way or the other about some of those factors, but Carpenter has been pretty bad over the last two seasons, we haven't had a legitimate kickoff returner for a while (though Tate was good at punt returning), Whaley and Rex did try to bring in some ace Special Teamers, but we have also had a lot of injuries over the past four years.

You should check the facts before making wrong statements. Brandon Tate finished 7th in the league in kickoff returns.

I agree but McDermott has been preparing all his life for this opportunity........and Danny Crosshairs is fine?

As you pointed out......after a brutal first year the Bills propped the heavily criticized Crossman up by aggressively stocking the ST's........because THEY COULD.......tons of cap space.

Fast forward a couple years and he's being asked to coach again and the backbreaking mistakes re-emerge.

In addition to the big return at the end of the Miami game that set up the field goal.......on the next play......the kickoff of OT.......Brandon Tate stood by the pylon and let the ball slowly roll into it rather than step in the field of play with one foot out of bounds and get the ball at the 40 instead of the 25.

The next week.......Gillislee :doh: ........I'm saying his units are unaware and unprepared.

McDermott invoked John Harbaugh and Dave Toub in his PC and then decided Crosshairs was fine. :doh:

I've been on the same kick since the day he was fired and didn't slow down even through his "successful" period.

He's bad. His teams are unprepared and make a lot of mistakes. I don't expect him to reinvent the wheel and come up with a million trick plays but I do expect him to know Mike G hasn't returned kicks and spend a lot of time going over basics because you get a lot of guys that were high school and college stats doing this stuff for the first time as pros (often on short notice) and they don't know what they are doing.

Then you get to coaching kickers and a lot is really fine adjustments and eye for details and not shaking them with tweaks because it's something they've done forever....

I don't think he does either half well.

The Bills continue to view special teams as an aspect of the game that they have to put up with, instead of as an opportunity to gain a very low-cost advantage that could lead to a 2-3 win differential. Shame.

We've invested a ton in recent years. 3 kickers and a ton of coverage and return talent on the 53 for a good stretch- and then ultra prioritized in the 45. Like far beyond most teams.

I'd say scaling that back and ramping up the coaching talent would be a better approach with just a couple key teams players

We've invested a ton in recent years. 3 kickers and a ton of coverage and return talent on the 53 for a good stretch- and then ultra prioritized in the 45. Like far beyond most teams.

I'd say scaling that back and ramping up the coaching talent would be a better approach with just a couple key teams players

I agree that is what I'm talking about. Find the best ST coach and overpay the best kicker in the league and you're talking another 2-3 wins a year for an extra $3-$5M. No brainer.

Yea - kicking isn't really something you coach much. The kickers usually kinda... know what they're doing.

Blocking and coverages though - we never had a kick or punt blocked, no TD returns.... even with a kicker who didnt have a good leg and a punter who had a really bad year.

Ravens employ a kicking consultant. He is credited with deploying Justin Tucker into best K in NFL.

I agree that is what I'm talking about. Find the best ST coach and overpay the best kicker in the league and you're talking another 2-3 wins a year for an extra $3-$5M. No brainer.

It wouldn't be shocking, but I wouldn't bank 3 by any means

It sure wouldn't hurt though and then beyond the impact on those plays you can also use those slots on actual developmental guys, or package players for O or D

It blew my mind that we carried a third kicker AND several coverage guys under marrone and people called that a successful unit. Yea it was decent on the field but it was a poor return on limited resources when you could use good coaching to maximize the 53

Ravens employ a kicking consultant. He is credited with deploying Justin Tucker into best K in NFL.

I was told just yesterday that coaching kickers doesn't matter!

You mean, a precision act that needs fine tuning can benefit from skilled support?

Edited by NoSaint

Crossman ought to resign his post and run for congress. He's perfect for it- he continues to hold a job again and again inspite of the fact that he's not particularly good at what he does. And with each regime change, they consider his services to be indispensible. As a congressmen, he'd get reelected every two years even if he proved to be an incompetent dolt.