McDermott Retains Crossman as ST Coordinator

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How is it possible that this guy was brought in by Doug Marrone, retained by Rex Ryan, and retained again by Sean McDermott?

Can't be all that common to stay with a team through 3 Head Coaches.

Career ST coaches are not a threat to the system from which the HC hails. It's not like McD has a unique ST system which may conflict with Crossman. In contrast, OC's and DC's have specific systems and philosophies.

as I said in the PC thread...think Pegula said to McD "my hate for Marrone is thorough, he wants Crossman, he aint getting him" and if you want the job, yu keep crossman

+1 LOL

ST coordinators, most overrated, non relevant position in sports.

I'm not sure why people are so bent out of shape about this.

The easy answer is probably that there aren't any good ST coaches available.

Or that it is a position of such small importance that HC dont really worry about it.

This is McD's first mistake.

I choose to give him a Mulligan for the time being even though I think are special teams were pretty bad last year. Maybe he will rebound like he did two years ago. I can hope.

Not sure how I feel about this. If we are going to clean house, let's clean house. Get the old culture out.

Special teams wasn't anything that great this past year.

While it wasnt anything great they had more good games than bad. Tate was a godsend at KR considering the **** we had to deal with, with McFumbles and Reggie Negative yards Bush. They def need to re-sign Tate. best returner we had since....Idk Roscoe?

This is McD's first mistake.

I choose to give him a Mulligan for the time being even though I think are special teams were pretty bad last year. Maybe he will rebound like he did two years ago. I can hope.

You didnt like Tate as KR? Kid is $$$ on point.

mcdermott is a philly guy and so is crossman.. crossman actually is from the area i currently reside.. perhaps it (the hire) is just based on a friendship

Also Crossman coached ST for the Panthers for 4 years. McDermott and he did not overlap, but I'm sure had common co-workers and players. So he may feel he has a good feel for what Crossman is like and that he's someone he can work with, and perhaps feels Crossman got a raw deal. I thought ST were OK under Crossman BRR (before Rex Ryan), but maybe I remember incorrectly

ST coordinators, most overrated, non relevant position in sports.

I'm not sure why people are so bent out of shape about this.

Or that it is a position of such small importance that HC dont really worry about it.

Kansas City would disagree with you. ST is one of the reasons they're in the playoffs...at home no less.

Also Crossman coached ST for the Panthers for 4 years. McDermott and he did not overlap, but I'm sure had common co-workers and players. So he may feel he has a good feel for what Crossman is like and that he's someone he can work with, and perhaps feels Crossman got a raw deal. I thought ST were OK under Crossman BRR (before Rex Ryan), but maybe I remember incorrectly

totally agree about the ST's being pretty decent before rex (under crossman).. have no problem with crossman

Edited by dwight in philly

Kansas City would disagree with you. ST is one of the reasons they're in the playoffs...at home no less.

Yawn,

Yes there whopping .2 Special Teams TD per game. Tied with Miami and Minnesota.

Up from a whopping.1 TD per game last year.

Edited by CountDorkula

If a team is undisciplined, all 3 facets of the game will be undisciplined. I'll give him another shot for now

What's tough is it's always been an issue for him- even worse in other cities

totally agree about the ST's being pretty decent before rex (under crossman).. have no problem with crossman

We kept a lot of guys on the 53 and dressing on gameday for ST instead of maximizing other units.

The easy answer is probably that there aren't any good ST coaches available.

Maybe so.

Or maybe McDermott already knows what he wants to do with special teams. He may have his own ideas and system and just needs someone to carry them out.

While Crossman isn't particularly adept at running his own ST show, maybe he can implement McDermott's ideas. Maybe that's the thought.

McDermott did say he planned to be 'aggressively' involved in all three phases of the game.

Edited by hondo in seattle