Big names didn't get jobs.

Virgil

Anyone else find it weird that Kyle Shanahan, Mike Smith, and both Matt Patricia and Josh McDaniels didn't get jobs?

They seemed to be the most qualified and accomplished. Seems weird to me.

Also strange that Todd Haley didn't even take an interview.

Weird

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else find it weird that Kyle Shanahan, Mike Smith, and both Matt Patricia and Josh McDaniels didn't get jobs?

Weird

I hear that Shanahan and McDaniels are the two primary candidates for the 49ers' HC job.

I hear that Shanahan and McDaniels are the two primary candidates for the 49ers' HC job.

Maybe so, but still surprising that all of these other teams took lesser known names with worse resumes. Unless these guys didn't want them.

I also wonder what the current state of these organizations had on these guys. The Bills, Rams, Chargers, and 49ers don't have the greatest image right now.

Again, just thoughts.

Edited by Virgil

Late hires get scraps as assts

Weird none of the old coaches row names came up this year. Nobody is trying to lure Jon Gruden back? Bill Cowhers jaw didn't get an interview. Tony Dungy is comfy in his studio chair.

The more years that pass the less likely it seems that any of them or others will come back. Any guesses on who will come back if anyone?

Weird

49ers job still open. Shanahan and McDaniels were both interviewed.

Late hires get scraps as assts

Weird none of the old coaches row names came up this year. Nobody is trying to lure Jon Gruden back? Bill Cowhers jaw didn't get an interview. Tony Dungy is comfy in his studio chair.

The more years that pass the less likely it seems that any of them or others will come back. Any guesses on who will come back if anyone?

That is the hard part when you take some time off...It is hard to come back into the NFL. The only one who made comebacks after a long time was Dick Vermeil and he was not very successful.

That is the hard part when you take some time off...It is hard to come back into the NFL. The only one who made comebacks after a long time was Dick Vermeil and he was not very successful.

Winning a super bowl with a team that was crap for years sounds successful to me. He had 3-4 good seasons with the chiefs too

I really wish Dick Vermeil was that not very successful in Buffalo. I really do.

I think GunnerBill has it exactly right. Fans and media hold on to the antiquated belief that if a coordinator has a great year, he's automatically a great head coach candidate. This isn't necessarily true. Some great coordinators are just that...great coordinators. Like Wade Phillips.

As I stated before, Mike McCarthy's offense was rated last in the league before getting the head job in Green Bay. Smart GMs know that there is more to being a head coach than success as an OC or DC.

I don't buy the ' you can't build a good staff in February' line. Wait till then. Hire your person and then have them bring their staff from their side of the ball. The one place there is no cap is FO and coaching staff. And if the candidate you are wanting to hire can't guarantee he can bring a staff/put one together, you don't want them. Which may be what is happening to a few of these Cords still in it.

I don't buy the ' you can't build a good staff in February' line. Wait till then. Hire your person and then have them bring their staff from their side of the ball. The one place there is no cap is FO and coaching staff. And if the candidate you are wanting to hire can't guarantee he can bring a staff/put one together, you don't want them. Which may be what is happening to a few of these Cords still in it.

They can't just "bring their staff from their side of the ball." Because their current employer is under no obligation to allow those staff to move on. As has been discussed at length... the only interview an NFL team can't block is a Head Coach interview. It is why Superbowl bound coordinators often don't get jobs that same year.... because you are left scrabbling around for a staff.

They can't just "bring their staff from their side of the ball." Because their current employer is under no obligation to allow those staff to move on. As has been discussed at length... the only interview an NFL team can't block is a Head Coach interview. It is why Superbowl bound coordinators often don't get jobs that same year.... because you are left scrabbling around for a staff.

After the season they can.

I think what fans and media presume teams are looking for and what teams are actually looking for are often quite different.

But.. But.. WE are the experts! We spend many waking hours every day dissecting and discerning the nuances of our teams! Why don't we ever get to decide?? :wallbash:

Also.... where are all those people who were telling me 6 weeks ago I was wrong about Lynn being a hot HC candidate? Interviewed for 5 of the 6 jobs and landed one.

I'm pleased for Lynn and wish him success except for when we play San Diego.

Ditto. Best wishes ALynn! Thank you for our running game in '15 & '16!