Sean McDermott's Introductory Presser on 1/13/17 at 2 PM ET

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does it concern anyone else how poor of a public speaker Terry Pegula is.

Whether it's an appearance on WGR radio or opening a press conference today, I've found him to be pretty brutal.

A part of me believes that ones ability to communicate gives you a little insight on ones intelligence and ability to asses other people, and I just wonder if Pegulas total ineptitude when it comes to public communication means anything.

So Rex Ryan is kinda like Einstein to you. Terrible post, one of the worst.

I thought he said, "I talked to him on the phone."

but i may be incorrect in that

Yeah, that's the question. Looks like yolo & I heard it the same way that TT called him yesterday and then they had a chat at OBD today.

He said I spoke with Taylor on the phone. He didn't say who called who. IMO there is almost no chance TT called him versus him calling TT.

Are you referring to the presser or the John Butler interview? I think he said that TT called him on JB's show

And now Schopp and BD ripping Pegula for talking about McD being "faith-based".

Drawing the conclusion that his faith was the reason he was hired.

Really?

Come on. This is what they are focusing on as a criticism? There is nothing wrong with having faith or being faith-based.

In fact, many times, I have to draw on my faith to be a Buffalo Bills fan.

Which fits with the team waiting to hire an OC and determining what kind of offense they're going to install. TT's clearly not the worst QB in the league, and he's clearly not the best. He didn't blow the team away and make them adamant that his option needed to be picked up, but his play also didn't warrant kicking him to the curb outright. His contract, if they pick it up, puts him in the mid-range salary for a starter. A reasonable commitment even if the plan is to look for a long term answer to replace him in two years. There's no clearly better long term answer in free agency, and barring an unexpected trade, he's probably the best available QB we could hope for over the next few years. It's also not outside the realm of possibility that with a good QB coach he'll improve. Given a decision doesn't need to be made until March, what are you expecting?

I'm not expecting much from any of these guys it's much less painful that way. The line of questioning where they ask McDermott if he can keep Taylor is sloppy as all heck. It implies that the new coach should have decision making control of a guy that the sitting GM has worked with and should be able to make a much better prediction of the player going forward. OFC McDermott and the new OC should have input but the GM needs to be able to do his job.

On GR, McDermott said one of the first things he is going to do, starting today, is to reach out to all of the players and call them individually. In the press conference he said he spoke to Tyrod on the phone yesterday. There is virtually no chance that Tyrod called him, versus him calling Tyrod. That, to me, is a very clear indication he is very open to having TT back.

I agree. McDermott knows more than anyone how challenging it is to stop a guy like Tyrod from moving the pocket, extending plays...hitting dimes downfield, etc.. There are several teams that would make Tyrod their #1 free agent signee if he becomes available. The Bills and McDermott cannot be dumb enough to let Tyrod walk out of the building without a significant upgrade in-house come early March. I don't give a crap what Jim Kelly says.

Edited by zow2

Does it concern anyone else how poor of a public speaker Terry Pegula is.

Whether it's an appearance on WGR radio or opening a press conference today, I've found him to be pretty brutal.

A part of me believes that ones ability to communicate gives you a little insight on ones intelligence and ability to asses other people, and I just wonder if Pegulas total ineptitude when it comes to public communication means anything.

There was a survey where the second greatest fear was the fear of death. The first was the fear of public speaking. Imagine that. I thing Pegs is probably just a little self conscious when in the limelight.

Really?

Come on. This is what they are focusing on as a criticism? There is nothing wrong with having faith or being faith-based.

It was about a minute of them talking about it. It wasn't their focus but they brought it up and thought that Pegula said that his faith was a reason they choose him as a coach. BD talked about how faith required dedication but didn't think it should be involved in hiring a coach. Schopp said "no" and that was it.

Was basically just something dumb that they came up with from the conference.

I agree. McDermott knows more than anyone how challenging it is to stop a guy like Tyrod from moving the pocket, extending plays...hitting dimes downfield, etc.. There are several teams that have would make Tyrod their #1 free agent signee if he becomes available. The Bills and McDermott cannot be dumb enough to let Tyrod walk out of the building without a significant upgrade come early March.

good point

I found it encouraging that Tyrod chose to be there rather than avoid the team in the midst of a weird time job security-wise for him. Kudos to him for showing some maturity.

I agree with this 100%. Hats off to Tyrod.

Really?

For what it's worth every sports player talks about God it seems like. It will at least be something familiar to most players.

There is some sort of misconception around here that anyone with a lot of money is fabulously intelligent.

As someone who has been around a lot of very wealthy people in a professional context for a long time, I can assure you that is often not the case.

In my experience, I would say the qualities universally shared among people like Pegula are an unusual willingness to take risk, unwavering persistence, and desire to work really hard. Raw intelligence often doesn't enter into it, nor need it, though sometimes it does, of course.

Average IQ of self made billionaires in the US is 132...

For what it's worth every sports player talks about God it seems like. It will at least be something familiar to most players.

It is true.

I remember saying the Lord's Prayer as a team in the locker room before each game of football that I played. As far as I know, most football teams in the NFL do it.

As an aside, I judge people by their actions and how they live their life - as opposed to what they call themselves etc. Nevertheless, it is BS for anyone to even hint that this should be a criticism.

Edited by Peter

It was about a minute of them talking about it. It wasn't their focus but they brought it up and thought that Pegula said that his faith was a reason they choose him as a coach. BD talked about how faith required dedication but didn't think it should be involved in hiring a coach. Schopp said "no" and that was it.

Was basically just something dumb that they came up with from the conference.

Oftentimes when introducing someone you ask them how they would like to be introduced. Regardless of how positively Pegula considers this I think it's likely that McDermott asked for that.