Mike McCoy interviewing with Denver today

Virgil

Okay...I'm not trying to pick you apart, but these aren't exactly amazing resume bullet points for this guy.

1. Coaching Kyle Orton's best year should not be the top highlight of any potential OC.

2. That offense was...well, I remember the Bills picking Tebow off 4 times in the first half once...let's just say it was fluky at best. I'm not sure how brilliantly he "customized his offense," but rather they ran a ton of college plays to help Tebow out.

3. Yeah, I'm aware he was the QB coach of a team that went to and lost the superbowl, but I mean, really...that's reaching isn't it. That was almost 15 years ago now.

Great, more excuses. I realize you can't just grab a guy with a ton of highlights off the street, but I was hoping for and would lean towards some fresh faces. These loser retreads are getting old.

You're right, we shouldn't care that an average journeyman had his best year under McCoy and we shouldn't care that a trashcan QB like Delhomme made it to the Superbowl under his teaching. Personally, I think it says something when some of these guys all have their best years and most success under his watch.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're right, we shouldn't care that an average journeyman had his best year under McCoy and we shouldn't care that a trashcan QB like Delhomme made it to the Superbowl under his teaching. Personally, I think it says something when some of these guys all have their best years and most success under his watch.

The above carefully omits that he went to the playoffs once in four years with Philip Rivers as his QB. He's hardly a QB whisperer. No idea why we need to pretend he's not a complete crap-shoot of an OC. You can't cherry picking a couple of above average seasons and act like he'll do that (one of them, mind you, is being a QB coach...), and that he won't field an offense like his past two seasons.

The above carefully omits that he went to the playoffs once in four years with Philip Rivers as his QB. He's hardly a QB whisperer. No idea why we need to pretend he's not a complete crap-shoot of an OC. You can't cherry picking a couple of above average seasons and act like he'll do that (one of them, mind you, is being a QB coach...), and that he won't field an offense like his past two seasons.

He wasn't the OC with Rivers, but who's counting?

Wow. Head Coach bares no responsibility, but QB coach does. You live in a weird world sometimes.

Yes, because we've never pointed to coaches and said, 'Terrible HC, Great Coordinator' (Schwartz, Rex, Haley, etc.) A HC cannot put the time into one side of the ball to bear responsibility for it like when they are a coordinator. They are busy bearing the responsibility for overall team preparation, clock management, game situation management, roster management, etc.

If it isn't a sure thing right now, it will be if Denver offers. The fact that he's flying to Denver tomorrow to interview with them, full well knowing McDermott is HC here says Denver is where he wants to be. And it should be. Amongst the available coaching gigs, it was pretty much unanimously Denver and everyone else amongst the national media. Only shot I see us having is if Denver decides to go with Musgrave.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

Okay...I'm not trying to pick you apart, but these aren't exactly amazing resume bullet points for this guy.

1. Coaching Kyle Orton's best year should not be the top highlight of any potential OC. IMO, its as much an accomplishment as being the OC of Brady, etc.

2. That offense was...well, I remember the Bills picking Tebow off 4 times in the first half once...let's just say it was fluky at best. I'm not sure how brilliantly he "customized his offense," but rather they ran a ton of college plays to help Tebow out. The fact we don't have a great QB, it sure is important to know what he did to customize for a non conventional QB.

3. Yeah, I'm aware he was the QB coach of a team that went to and lost the superbowl, but I mean, really...that's reaching isn't it. That was almost 15 years ago now. Having a QB coaching background IMO is critical - I sure wouldn't want our OC to never have spent time developing QB's. Expecially if we have to draft one.

Great, more excuses. I realize you can't just grab a guy with a ton of highlights off the street, but I was hoping for and would lean towards some fresh faces. These loser retreads are getting old.

Fresh faces like Nathaniel Hackett?