McDermott hire further diminishes Whaley

Of course a coach should have control of his 53 man roster. That's a no-brainer. The GM has control of the 80 in the off-season.

Always been a defender of Sullivan but he has been truly a buzzkill lately.

Whaley has had more bad ink lately than Hillary had.

is Putin a Pats fan?

To me they need to work together. If the coach says "I need a slot receiver" the GM would go find one. The head coach has other things he's responsible for and looking for a player sounds like a lot of work that the GM should be doing.

I also can't see how the GM could decide who to cut without discussing it with the coach.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's pretty funny actually now

@byjerrysullivan

The Bills have hired a 42-year-old defensive coordinator from a recent Super Bowl loser to be head coach before: His name was Gregg Williams

:thumbdown::doh: are they trying to lose readers!?

Hey Sully...SHUT UP!

Is it possible to let us be hopeful for a few weeks?

Right, we've sucked forever, we don't need to be reminded of the mire the whole time.

Sometimes we just want to drink some friggin Kool- aid!!!

I always feel like Whaley is better than he might actually be because he is so much better than the previous administration. Nix/Whaley was so much better than the Marv/Jauron era and the Donahue era (Although Wahley's recent struggles are dipping him into Donahue territory) that I think my standards are so low that someone doing a decent to below average job looks like sunshine and roses.

There is no evidence at the time that Whaley was AGAINST hiring Rex. Indeed, the Whaley quotes from the time show that he was not AGAINST hiring Rex. This is a new narrative.

As to whether I like Doug Whaley: I used to defend the guy until I came to the conclusion (my judgment) that he threw Rex under the bus with ownership and the media. You clearly do not agree with my conclusion. Nevertheless, in responding to someone else's post regarding Whaley, I found a Buffalo News article which I linked earlier in this thread. Ironically, it speaks of Rex defending Whaley's decision to trade so much for Sammy. It is interesting to me that Rex supported Whaley and even his most controversial decision and yet (in my judgment) Whaley repaid him by throwing Rex under the bus.

That is why I think Whaley is a weasel.

I found John W's post on the subject of Rex getting fired also instructive:

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:55 AM

Estelle Getty, on 03 Jan 2017 - 03:52 AM, said:snapback.png

This is the only thing I could come up with as to why he played dumb about how and why Rex got fired. Maybe he didn't want to get into his real feelings on the Pegulas decision because he disagreed with it. This is based on Whaley saying he had no input on the decision to fire Rex, declaring he wasn't even consulted with on the decision, and making sure everyone knew it was Terry's move. At no time did he say he agreed with the decision only that "I have a boss like everybody else".

ummm. no.

jw

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/191320-doug-whaley-angry-that-rex-got-fired/?p=4204380

Peter,

if Whaley were, in fact, in favor of another hire but either was overruled, or persuaded to support Rex by others, or 'seduced' by Rex - would you expect to find any such articles soundbites or quotes?

You may not like Whaley as a GM - you're entitled - but all signs point to him being an "organization man" who will not speak against the organization's decisions publically

Nor should he, that would be highly destructive behavior

Edited by Peter

Sullivan is just giving his opinion and most Bills fans don't want to read anything bad about a new head coach hire. The guy isn't wrong and didn't lie or bend the truth about anything that I read.

Most of us were hoping that real change was coming to the Bills front office in terms of actually allowing the GM to solely make the hire. To perhaps hire a new team president of football operations to take the new owners out of football decisions and sadly that didn't happen. I know I would have loved to have Tom Coughlin hired in Buffalo as the VP of football operations and the first time Russ showed up to the cut meetings he would have been shown the door.

The dysfunction continues from my view with a GM with no real power, a meddling owner and a guy behind the curtain that nobody outside the org knows what he really does.

This franchise desperately needed to hire a Chuck Knox clone! A man who could build a team that would actually contend with the Patriots, Brady, and Belichick. A man who would bring his own director of player personnel with him from his old team to reset the team scouting dept. A man with enough football acumen to be able to make the proper football decisions in free agency and the draft so that the GM's input really wasn't needed.

Instead, the team hired a man new to head coaching in the NFL and it could be another Gregg Williams or another Bill Belichick in his first hire. All we can do is wish the guy good luck.

I always feel like Whaley is better than he might actually be because he is so much better than the previous administration. Nix/Whaley was so much better than the Marv/Jauron era and the Donahue era (Although Wahley's recent struggles are dipping him into Donahue territory) that I think my standards are so low that someone doing a decent to below average job looks like sunshine and roses.

Funny how the regimes keep changing and the roster talent keeps improving and yet the Bills are perennially on the edge of being a contender.

There is no evidence at the time that Whaley was AGAINST hiring Rex. Indeed, the Whaley quotes from the time show that he was not AGAINST hiring Rex. This is a new narrative.

As to whether I like Doug Whaley: I used to defend the guy until I came to the conclusion (my judgment) that he threw Rex under the bus with ownership and the media. You clearly do not agree with my conclusion. Nevertheless, in responding to someone else's post regarding Whaley, I found a Buffalo News article which I linked earlier in this thread. Ironically, it speaks of Rex defending Whaley's decision to trade so much for Sammy. It is interesting to me that Rex supported Whaley and even his most controversial decision and yet (in my judgment) Whaley repaid him by throwing Rex under the bus.

ummm. no.

jw

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/191320-doug-whaley-angry-that-rex-got-fired/?p=4204380

Rex's own camp said Whaley never wanted him

http://billsfanaticsbf.com/home/rex-ryan-s-reaction-bills-fanatics-insiders-get-inside-scoop

Many speculated from the very beginning of Rexs time with the Buffalo Bills that General Manager Doug Whaley was not in agreement with Terry and Kim Pegulas decision to hire Ryan. Rex basically confirmed this as he said he did feel Whaley wasnt too happy with him coaching the team.

ummm. no.

jw

ever since Rex was hired there's been a narrative that Whaley's top choice was Hue Jackson while the Pegulas loved Rex. I and others have believed it to be the case the whole time Rex has been here. Not saying its definitely the case but there's nothing new or hindsight about it. Edited by 2018 Our Year For Sure

Where is there any source material from the time that would lead one to believe that Whaley was AGAINST hiring Rex? I was accused of being asleep and not paying attention. There is nothing from that time.

As for what is in the billsfanatics site, I did not see any quotes from Rex. It does say Rex "said," but there are no quotes as such. It does say:

Rex basically confirmed this as he said he did feel Whaley wasn’t too happy with him coaching the team. Ryan went on to say he and Whaley were not on the same page during his two years in Buffalo.

This is consistent with my view that Whaley threw Rex under the bus this past year. I still have seen nothing from the time of the hiring or its aftermath that would have led anyone to believe that Whaley was AGAINST the hire. My own view is that Whaley ultimately did not like having someone with more cache than him as the face of the franchise. This is ironic given that Rex defended Whaley and his most controversial decision (trading so much for Sammy).

ever since Rex was hired there's been a narrative that Whaley's top choice was Hue Jackson while the Pegulas loved Rex. I and others have believed it to be the case the whole time Rex has been here. Not saying its definitely the case but there's nothing new or hindsight about it.

Edited by Peter

Where is there any source material from the time that would lead one to believe that Whaley was AGAINST hiring Rex? I was accused of being asleep and not paying attention. There is nothing from that time.

As for what is in the billsfanatics site, I did not see any quotes from Rex. It does say Rex "said," but there are no quotes as such. It does say:

Rex basically confirmed this as he said he did feel Whaley wasnt too happy with him coaching the team. Ryan went on to say he and Whaley were not on the same page during his two years in Buffalo.

This is consistent with my view that Whaley threw Rex under the bus this past year. I still have seen nothing from the time of the hiring or its aftermath that would have led anyone to believe that Whaley was AGAINST the hire. My own view is that Whaley ultimately did not like having someone with more cache than him as the face of the franchise. This is ironic given that Rex defended Whaley and his most controversial decision (trading so much for Sammy).

Yeah my post was just to let you know that its certainly been out there for a couple years, its not like people are just making it up now. I don't have any trial-worthy evidence for you. It was actually a prominent poster here who brought us the scoop at the time, I believe. That's probably why Promo said what he said.

Yeah my post was just to let you know that its certainly been out there for a couple years, its not like people are just making it up now. I don't have any trial-worthy evidence for you. It was actually a prominent poster here who brought us the scoop at the time, I believe. That's probably why Promo said what he said.

It could very well be that Whaley preferred one candidate over another. I just do not think that Doug Whaley ever said to the Pegulas that he was AGAINST hiring Rex at that time. Whether he had private thoughts or not, how is anyone to know. I do believe that Whaley did end up feeling overshadowed by someone like Rex and ended up throwing him under the bus even though Rex had publicly had defended Whaley. Hence my reference to Whaley being Fredo. Let me be clear, my view of Whaley as a person changed recently as a result of this. I still think that he is a good scout and talent evaluator.

I do find it offensive for someone to suggest that I was asleep or not paying attention. I pay far too much attention to the Bills. In fact, I probably need to pay less attention and spend far less time on this site.

Sullivan is a miserable prick.

As has been repeated ad nauseam on TBD...win and this stuff goes away. McDermott may well be a solid HC, but the fact Whaley is still there leading personnel remains a major problem.

Lil' Doug (thanks Rico) won the battle over Rex. But it would be hilarious if, perhaps as a condition for working in Buffalo, McDermott demanded more control over personnel and got it from the Pegullibles. That makes sense considering the GM hasn't exactly built a tremendous roster (and that includes failing to find a QB).

Hopefully Whaley's lost power in this hire and the Bills can begin building a roster better than Lil' Doug's glorified fantasy football team roster: lot of names and salaries, not much results.

It could very well be that Whaley preferred one candidate over another. I just do not think that Doug Whaley ever said to the Pegulas that he was AGAINST hiring Rex at that time. Whether he had private thoughts or not, how is anyone to know. I do believe that Whaley did end up feeling overshadowed by someone like Rex and ended up throwing him under the bus even though Rex had publicly had defended Whaley. Hence my reference to Whaley being Fredo. Let me be clear, my view of Whaley as a person changed recently as a result of this. I still think that he is a good scout and talent evaluator.

I do find it offensive for someone to suggest that I was asleep or not paying attention. I pay far too much attention to the Bills. In fact, I probably need to pay less attention and spend far less time on this site.

That's cool, man. I spend too much time on here too, especially in the offseason when changes are happening and I'm filled with false hope! lol

I don't really blame you for being down on Whaley, its perfectly fair at this point. My stance during the season was that he's about an average GM and that there was no wrong answer whether they wanted to keep him or fire him. He seems to me to be roughly in-line with what other teams get from their FOs.

In honesty Peter I would have slightly preferred Whaley had left simply to clean out the house and get a fresh start. But again, okay with him staying too. The concern I do have now is that IF they brought Whaley back, I wanted him to hire his OWN guy and finally be on the hook once and for all, and I'm again left wondering whether that is what's happening here. But I digress.

The thing regarding the Rex hire narrative is that it wasn't always important to me whether Whaley was AGAINST Rex from the start, or was perfectly fine with Rex but he just wasn't Whaley's top choice. What was important to me was simply that he wasn't Whaley's top choice, but he WAS the Pegulas' choice. That meant that the GM was having a coaching candidate pushed on him by non-football people who happened to be his brand new bosses. His top choice was apparently the same guy who was my top choice at the time, Hue Jackson, so I naturally found that part encouraging.

As a Bills fan I hope you're wrong about Whaley feeling insecure about Rex being there. Because my opinion of Rex is so much lower than yours, I'm a lot more prone to chalk Whaley's displeasure up to football reasons. But you could very well be right I have no idea.

Go Bills

Edited by 2018 Our Year For Sure

I get what youre saying about it being en vogue to criticize TBN and Jerry, but nobody has anything bad to say about this hiring within NFL circles - to the contrary actually. Nobody but Jerry, that is. Within 2hrs of it happening. Pretty sad.

So yeh i agree that sometimes Jerry gets ripped on undeservingly and the mob mentality kicks in around here but with $h*t like this, he does it to himself

i mean, the ink wasn't even dry on his signature yet

Sullivan is just giving his opinion and most Bills fans don't want to read anything bad about a new head coach hire. The guy isn't wrong and didn't lie or bend the truth about anything that I read.

Most of us were hoping that real change was coming to the Bills front office in terms of actually allowing the GM to solely make the hire. To perhaps hire a new team president of football operations to take the new owners out of football decisions and sadly that didn't happen. I know I would have loved to have Tom Coughlin hired in Buffalo as the VP of football operations and the first time Russ showed up to the cut meetings he would have been shown the door.

The dysfunction continues from my view with a GM with no real power, a meddling owner and a guy behind the curtain that nobody outside the org knows what he really does.

This franchise desperately needed to hire a Chuck Knox clone! A man who could build a team that would actually contend with the Patriots, Brady, and Belichick. A man who would bring his own director of player personnel with him from his old team to reset the team scouting dept. A man with enough football acumen to be able to make the proper football decisions in free agency and the draft so that the GM's input really wasn't needed.

Instead, the team hired a man new to head coaching in the NFL and it could be another Gregg Williams or another Bill Belichick in his first hire. All we can do is wish the guy good luck.

Funny how the regimes keep changing and the roster talent keeps improving and yet the Bills are perennially on the edge of being a contender.

No real power. He only interviewed and recommended head coaching candidates. Was he supposed to hire McDermott and not tell the Pegulas?