Deshaun Watson is the answer

CDogg20

Watson is a great college quarterback. But keep in mind he's surrounded by great talent and his receivers made some incredible catches last night. Not to mention most of Watson's passing yards were a result of screen passes around the LOS - lots of YAC.

this is a good point. But, he did put the ball where his talented WR's could make the catches against very very good DB's.

At any rate, I would not trade up for him. But if he is there at 10 he'd be hard to pass-up. Although like some other posters it may be better to grab Williams, Robinson, etc. and get Mahomes later in the draft.

My feeling has been to not pick up the TT option, have $45 million is cap space - fill our holes in FA (keep Gilmore) and draft Hooker/Williams if they are available and move on up next year for the QB. Could give him ton of tools to work with...

that's not a terrible idea. We could even plug in a guy like Hoyer for this season. With the right tools you could be talking Playoffs. Then trade for the "franchise" guy next year.

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually not true...yes, there is always people who want to wait to next year, but this class is being considered similar to the year we took EJ. There is not a single Elite QB prospect anywhere in the draft. Going into last night, there was a thread here where everyone mostly said DONT trade up for a QB in this class.

Today, after Watson does the same thing he does every week and also did last National Championship Game, and suddenly everyone wants to trade up a bounty for the THIRD rated QB prospect in this draft. Also carefully ignoring the facts that Watson didn't do anything more than he ever has throughout his whole career, had Williams and the other receivers bail him out on multiple critical plays with insane catches late in the game to go with similar plays earlier in the game, and the other reasons he was not, and still isn't, considered a top QB prospect.

#OverreactionTuesday

The sentiment was the exact same with Goff and Wentz last year.

Gotta look at the teams ahead of the #10 pick that need a QB.

#1 Cleveland needs a QB

#2 San Fran needs a QB

#3 Chicago needs a QB

#4 Jags

#5 Titans

#6 Jets need a QB

#7 Chargers

#8 Panthers

#9 Bengals

#10 Bills

At this point, it might be wiser to look at Mike Williams WR Clemson and the Bills might need to make another Watkins move to get him.

There is also no guarantee that SD doesnt take a QB or that the Jags take a QB.

Rivers is 35. If theyre smart they start thinking of getting Rivers' replacement.

Bortles - who knows what new regime will want.

Actually not true...yes, there is always people who want to wait to next year, but this class is being considered similar to the year we took EJ. There is not a single Elite QB prospect anywhere in the draft. Going into last night, there was a thread here where everyone mostly said DONT trade up for a QB in this class.

Today, after Watson does the same thing he does every week and also did last National Championship Game, and suddenly everyone wants to trade up a bounty for the THIRD rated QB prospect in this draft. Also carefully ignoring the facts that Watson didn't do anything more than he ever has throughout his whole career, had Williams and the other receivers bail him out on multiple critical plays with insane catches late in the game to go with similar plays earlier in the game, and the other reasons he was not, and still isn't, considered a top QB prospect.

#OverreactionTuesday

well, to be fair, SI had him as the #1 QB prior to the Championship game:

http://www.si.com/2017-nfl-draft-position-rankings

I don't agree with that ranking, but people that wan't him are not nuts. I like you wouldn't go trading for him. (perhaps pretend to trade for him, or if he is there at 10, entertain offers from other teams for him!)

I've seen a couple of pro comps for Watson of....Tyrod Taylor. That being said I'd rather have a 21 year old Tyrod with the possibility of growth and progression than a 27 year old Tyrod who has maxed out

NOOOOOO!!!...when will teams in the nfl ever learn about this type of college QB??

#OverreactionTuesday

Any non TT lovers think this is a weak draft for qb's?

I find it humorous most TT guys are pushing this narrative.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

TT "lover" here.

If we don't keep TT, we need another QB - Watson would be just as good as any in the draft.

Question is, are we not giving Cardale a shot? (Assuming we move on from TT). Because if we draft Watson @ 10 or higher, no way that Cardale gets a "fair" competition.

TT "lover" here.

If we don't keep TT, we need another QB - Watson would be just as good as any in the draft.

Question is, are we not giving Cardale a shot? (Assuming we move on from TT). Because if we draft Watson @ 10 or higher, no way that Cardale gets a "fair" competition.

I'd have an open competition every year at QB, no matter what.

Barnett just has a lot more holes than Allen or Thomas IMO. That also assumes that Garrett goes first. Barnett to me is, at best, the 4th DL.

I would be shocked if Garrett isn't 1. What I like about Barnett is that gets a lot of tackles for losses and can close to the QB quickly and he has been doing it for a few seasons. I think the ability to rush the passer and play on the outside opposite of Buckner could be really special, with Dorsey as the NT. I get the scheme concerns and holes out there surrounding him...Thomas and Allen are going to be really good players too.

My point (counter-point) would be you simply don't see polished QBs being produced by college football. It takes a lot of work to make a QB and the vast majority of the position is intangibles, putting in the work to improve and gameplan, having the mentality to be a leader and everything else on the mental side. At this point in his career Tom Brady can't make all the throws and he can't run around the field, but mentally he's the best. Cardale Jones can make every throw (his accuracy is another question) but the game is moving a million miles per hour for him. Everyone around Watson has said he's got the mental side more than covered, that's the reason people like him. You can improve mechanics, hard work should be able to improve accuracy, playing at NFL speed will help understand throwing windows (though I don't think it's that far off to say defensively Bama is at a comparable talent level to at least the Browns, if not some other bad defenses) but if the QB doesn't have the mental side he's simply not going to work out.

Absolutely true about college creating a different style of QB right now, and its damaging to the NFL product because of adjustment periods. You make great points about the mental part of the game, no argument from me there. I would take that a step further and say, its largely mental, and also largely right place at the right time. I don't think certain QBs would have great success in another place/situation (Prescott), and think others might have succeeded if they were drafted by a different organization or at a different time with another coach. There is A LOT that goes into successful NFL QB's....

With that said, I am not sold on Watson's throwing skills...mechanics aside. I think he also makes too many silly mistakes. Ill take my shot with Mahomes in the second round over Watson at 10.

And I want $7 million dollars

Beat me to it : ) Those guys are fewwwww and faaaarrr between

My feeling has been to not pick up the TT option, have $45 million is cap space - fill our holes in FA (keep Gilmore) and draft Hooker/Williams if they are available and move on up next year for the QB. Could give him ton of tools to work with...

I hope you enjoy losing 13 games.

Are you trying to make my case or your case because Goff hasnt looked good and Wentz faded after a promising start. So not impressed with these examples.

Dak though. Oooooooh weeeeeeee.

Put me on the hook for Wentz. I'm endorsing him as a stud when it's all said and done.

I hope you enjoy losing 13 games.

Hope you enjoy a glimmer of hope vs .500 teams.

Damn you got it bad.

Git r dun Kim. I like this kid, he's not scared to throw the ball and he's chill in the pocket.

Cooler than snoop after the 18th blunt.

I don't want Tyrod back and I think the QB class is weak compared to some of the previous ones. There are no QB's that I look at and think, "that guy is gonna be really good." There are guys who may end up being good, but none that I would feel all that great about taking in the top 10. Trubisky? Maybe. Kizer? Late 1st. Watson? 2nd or 3rd. All of them will be over drafted though because of team needs. Just like the draft that saw Locker and Ponder go in the top 15.

Are you trying to make my case or your case because Goff hasnt looked good and Wentz faded after a promising start. So not impressed with these examples.

It's still early.

Wentz looked good. He was supposed to be a mid 1st rounder at best this time last year. Dak is the truth. Goff is still very young. Lynch is basically unknown.

2015 looked like Winston and nobody else, yet Mariota is legit.

Was 2014 a weak class? 1 QB in the top 10, but 2 of them taken later are franchise guys, and Bortles is fringe.

2012 looked like Luck and nobody else, until RG3 tore it up and flew up the rankings. Then there was Wilson. And Tanny.

2011 looked like Cam and nobody else, except for Dalton in the second.

Bottom line, there's almost always at least 1 to 2 fringe franchise guys almost every draft. This argument saying it's a "weak QB class" so we shouldn't take anybody are very stupid. This year is no worse than 2016, 2015, or 2014. Outside of the #1 overalls, it's no worse than 2012 and 2011.

The 2013 draft was the worst in living memory. Time to stop pretending every draft is the 2013 draft when it comes to QB's.

I don't want Tyrod back and I think the QB class is weak compared to some of the previous ones. There are no QB's that I look at and think, "that guy is gonna be really good." There are guys who may end up being good, but none that I would feel all that great about taking in the top 10. Trubisky? Maybe. Kizer? Late 1st. Watson? 2nd or 3rd. All of them will be over drafted though because of team needs. Just like the draft that saw Locker and Ponder go in the top 15.

You mean the draft that had a league MVP who set rookie passing and rushing records, and a perennial playoff contender in Dalton? Yeah, the QB's all stunk in that one.

Edited by FireChan