McDermott emerging as favorite in coaching search...

Big Turk

You judge him based on one season?

No but I factor it in for sure. And the NFL is a what have you done for me lately league, and lately his defence was 21st, so there is no way I would hire him after that year. I understand they had injuries, but so did every other NFL team

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course it played a hand, but every single team had injuries.. So if McDermott was in buffalo this year, you would just give him a free pass if the D sucked because they missed aaron Williams, ragland, dareus and others? We for sure didn't give Rex a free pass, and we wouldn't if McDermott was here as well

Injuries do not equal your front office literally letting your top CBs walk away for nothing and replacing them with rookies. That would be like the Bills letting Gilmore, Darby and Robey walk and expecting the pass D to remain stellar

Injuries do not equal your front office literally letting your top CBs walk away for nothing and replacing them with rookies. That would be like the Bills letting Gilmore, Darby and Robey walk and expecting the pass D to remain stellar

In case you haven't noticed, we don't have a josh norman or anything close to the talent he had with the panthers. He had average talent this year and produced mediocre results. I am pretty sure I could have coached the 2015 panthers D to top 5 status with the players they had...

Fair point, but this is what both owners and fans apparently do.

Last year, Mike Shula was a hot name because of what he did with Cam Newton. It turned out to be both a blessing and a curse. Because the Panthers went to the Super Bowl and Shula reportedly wanted to concentrate on that rather than interview, it was too late for him to be hired.

Have we heard Shula's name once this off season as a HC candidate?

P.S. Ray Horton got fired as the Cleveland DC the other day. Wasn't he a name that we heard about a few years ago as a potential HC candidate for teams.

Hard to get excited about any of these names.

I am underwhelmed by these names. I will wait to see how this plays out, but it is hard to be excited (one way or the other) about any of the guys they are interviewing at this point.

I'd be really surprised if Lynn sticks around as OC not to mention the divide that would create in the locker room.

Technically I think Lynn has to stick around if he isn't hired as a head coach. He is still under contract from the bills. I may be wrong, but I am pretty sure that's the case

Fair point, but this is what both owners and fans apparently do.

Last year, Mike Shula was a hot name because of what he did with Cam Newton. It turned out to be both a blessing and a curse. Because the Panthers went to the Super Bowl and Shula reportedly wanted to concentrate on that rather than interview, it was too late for him to be hired.

Have we heard Shula's name once this off season as a HC candidate?

P.S. Ray Horton got fired as the Cleveland DC the other day. Wasn't he a name that we heard about a few years ago as a potential HC candidate for teams.

I am underwhelmed by these names. I will wait to see how this plays out, but it is hard to be excited (one way or the other) about any of the guys they are interviewing at this point.

Agreed

It's really irrelevant to his ability as a head coach. Completely different skill sets.

He wasn't exactly set up for success with 2 rookie corners and losing Josh Norman over petty differences...plus Kuechly missed several games as well.

That defense was really good 2 years ago...He suddenly forgot how to coach?

He was with Jim Johnson and cut his teeth under him; those were some good Defenses in Philly...

I'm still disappointed we are looking at Toub....

We are now judging Watson based on the title game last night he is the clear cut #1 now; so yeah McDermott sucks because the Panthers D was awful this year....

In much the same way that I have thought about the rumors of Lynn being the "favorite" all along, I have to wonder if the rumors of McDermott are true then why hasn't the team sealed the deal and announced him as the new HC?

There is nothing preventing them from doing so -- and if they are that high on the respective candidate, they can offer the $ and control to close the deal rather than risk losing the coach to another franchise. We are already hearing, for example, that the Chargers' interest in Lynn appears to be real.

The absence of a hiring to now still makes me wonder if the ultimate apple of their eye is really a coach whose team is still playing -- be it Richard, Patricia or Toub.

In much the same way that I have thought about the rumors of Lynn being the "favorite" all along, I have to wonder if the rumors of McDermott are true then why hasn't the team sealed the deal and announced him as the new HC?

There is nothing preventing them from doing so -- and if they are that high on the respective candidate, they can offer the $ and control to close the deal rather than risk losing the coach to another franchise. We are already hearing, for example, that the Chargers' interest in Lynn appears to be real.

The absence of a hiring to now still makes me wonder if the ultimate apple of their eye is really a coach whose team is still playing -- be it Richard, Patricia or Toub.

. . . or McDermott wants to see what else is available first.

He was with Jim Johnson and cut his teeth under him; those were some good Defenses in Philly...

I'm still disappointed we are looking at Toub....

We are now judging Watson based on the title game last night he is the clear cut #1 now; so yeah McDermott sucks because the Panthers D was awful this year....

I hear nothing but good things about him in Philly which is saying something.

Also, while a DC shouldn't be too dependant on scheme I did some research. The Jim Johnson 4-3 under scheme plays very well with what we have.

Dareus goes back to one gapping more like he did with Pettine. Lawson is almost a perfect fit for a Suggs mold 7 tech DE, and Hughes would return to 9 tech DE.

The the backing group Preston had his best year as a 4-3 MLB, and Ragland could be a solid Sam. If you get Zach back, that's a hell of a solid front 7 again.

The coverage is zone, which would help out Darby.

A Manny like FA pickup or two and a safety high in the draft I think the D would be back on track pretty quick.

Ya he had like 4 all pros on his defence, that's why his defence was unreal.. In case you haven't noticed, the bills don't have near that type of talent. And generally when teams hire coaches, they hire coaches who have had huge success as a coordinator so it's for sure not irrelevant.. Not too many average coordinators get picked to be head coaches. Gus Bradley, Dan Quinn, Adam Gase. All big successes with their respected units. Teams don't go after average coordinators for the most part. Unless your the bills I guess

4 all pros on his team that year... In case you haven't noticed, the bills don't have 2 all pro linebackers, the best corner in the league, and all pro lineman. What the bills have is one of the most overrated d lines in the league, bad linebackers, and a bad secondary

Looks like McDermott is a shoe in as Bills fans are already making excuses for him.

I hear nothing but good things about him in Philly which is saying something.

Also, while a DC shouldn't be too dependant on scheme I did some research. The Jim Johnson 4-3 under scheme plays very well with what we have.

Dareus goes back to one gapping more like he did with Pettine. Lawson is almost a perfect fit for a Suggs mold 7 tech DE, and Hughes would return to 9 tech DE.

The the backing group Preston had his best year as a 4-3 MLB, and Ragland could be a solid Sam. If you get Zach back, that's a hell of a solid front 7 again.

The coverage is zone, which would help out Darby.

A Manny like FA pickup or two and a safety high in the draft I think the D would be back on track pretty quick.

Am I mistaken, but wasn't McDermott let go by the Eagles? If so, does anyone know why?

Or O'Brien

At least according to this article...

"Having interviewed with the Bills last week, it was recently revealed that the interview went extremely well with one commentator even calling the meeting a strong one for both sides."

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/sean-mcdermott-leading-pack-buffalo-172133314.html

You have to ask yourself who the source is. Odds are it's McDermott's agent.

Ya he had like 4 all pros on his defence, that's why his defence was unreal.. In case you haven't noticed, the bills don't have near that type of talent. And generally when teams hire coaches, they hire coaches who have had huge success as a coordinator so it's for sure not irrelevant.. Not too many average coordinators get picked to be head coaches. Gus Bradley, Dan Quinn, Adam Gase. All big successes with their respected units. Teams don't go after average coordinators for the most part. Unless your the bills I guess

4 all pros on his team that year... In case you haven't noticed, the bills don't have 2 all pro linebackers, the best corner in the league, and all pro lineman. What the bills have is one of the most overrated d lines in the league, bad linebackers, and a bad secondary

Gilmore was solid to great overall, Darby was a runner up for DROY of the year but you're ready to write him off because he had a bad second year despite the entire Defense not doing well - hence Rex's firing and a rookie DB getting some playing time, a d-line that was ill suited for a 3-4 scheme despite the HC / DC insisting on it, and again Preston Brown had a fabulous Rookie season when they played in a 4-3....do you see a theme here?