McDermott emerging as favorite in coaching search...

Big Turk

If he was a white guy he gets zero interviews for HC elsewhere.

He had head coaching interviews last year. San Fran brought him back in this year. I don't think race has anything to do with it.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If winners win and losers lose, then please explain the following:

Mike Tomlin went to Pittsburgh after 5 years with Tampa Bay and one with Minnesota.

Bill Belichick coached the BROWNS before the Patriots.

Pete Carroll was a mediocre head coach in the NFL before going back to USC.

Gus Bradley came from the "winning" Seahawks team and won 14 games in 4 years in Jacksonville.

Your argument is fundamentally flawed. Coaches either have it or they don't, it has NOTHING to do with who they worked with prior to their promotion to head coach

and how many former Pats coaches have gone on to have any success as HC in the NFL? You can be a great coordinator, or part of a winning franchise and still not be a successful HC.

He had head coaching interviews last year. San Fran brought him back in this year. I don't think race has anything to do with it.

Yup, even before he became a coordinator he was getting looked at as a potential HC, and there are alot of teams bringing him in to give him because football people think he has the potential. Most teams have also been interviewing multiple minority candidates so it's not just to fill their quota.

Looking at the bills list of interviews, it looks like Mcdermitt was the minority candidate interview......

It's been a week and four guys have been interviewed (that we know of). With all the initial rumors that Lynn was the front-runner, it seems to me that may not be the case anymore. I would've thought that he'd have the job by now if they were that high on him.

McDermott makes sense and the current personnel on the team would fit into his zone-based scheme. I'm not sure if he runs a 4-3, but the defensive linemen and LBs on this team fit into a 4-3 better than what Rex/Rob were trying to do.

The guy was a running backs coach 4 months ago and has yet to install and a run a pro offense for a single season. He's way too green for HC and personally I don't think he'll ever be one.

If he was a white guy he gets zero interviews for HC elsewhere.

He was a wild card out of the blue candidate for 49ers HC spot last year, where you could have asked why are they interviewing an RB coach for HC position. And I think over this year we know why he's got a good reputation in the insular NFL circles. He's been around enough organizations to merit the consideration for being very good at his job and many feel that he can take the leap without having the long OC credentials.

This year, he's had the most interviews out of all candidates. He's deservedly a finalist for the Bills job.

He doesn't look like a head coach? What does a head coach look like?

Somebody imo would who has a commanding presence that demands respect and attention to his task and beliefs and/or has a tremendous football acumen. I don't believe McDermott fits those catergories. Besides, he seems like a typical uninspiring hire that Bills always make (Jauron, Marrone, Gregg Williams)

please, expand your thoughts of why this sucks "big time"

You want to hire a rookie head coach, who was the defensive coordinator with a below average defence last year with the panthers? Ranked 21st overall, with multiple blown leads. Do I need to say more?.

Edited by billsfan11

You want a rookie defensive coordinator with a below average defence last year with the panthers? Do I need to say more? Unless he is bringing in Jon Gruden as the O coordinator..

If you don't think playing two rookie corners was a crap hand he was dealt I don't know what to tell you. Even during their Super Bowl run, they had a couple of previously washed up vets at safety and were carried by the front 7 and Norman locking guys down.

Then the team let Norman walk, inexplicably cut Bene Benwikere, trotted a couple rookies out there, and hoped like hell it worked and it didn't.

You want to hire a rookie head coach, who was the defensive coordinator with a below average defence last year with the panthers? Ranked 21st overall, with multiple blown leads. Do I need to say more?.

It's really irrelevant to his ability as a head coach. Completely different skill sets.

He wasn't exactly set up for success with 2 rookie corners and losing Josh Norman over petty differences...plus Kuechly missed several games as well.

That defense was really good 2 years ago...He suddenly forgot how to coach?

Yes, you do please. Because while I'm not a big McDermott fan, you would need to look at all the years he's been a Defensive Coordinator, including the years leading up to this one...you know, the one that brought them to 15-1 and to the Super Bowl last year?? The one who have consistently been highly ranked for years leading up to this one? Is no one allowed to have an "off year", especially one where they lose two of their biggest Defensive playmakers in Norman and Keulchy? I realize Keulchy was not the entire season, but it still impacts the "overall" ranking....additionally, I'm not giving McDermott an excuse due to Norman, but it does play a role to some degree. Again, McDermott has enough Defensive Coordinator history to not take ONE season as to high or too low...IMO

Edited by BigBuff423

It's really irrelevant to his ability as a head coach. Completely different skill sets.

He wasn't exactly set up for success with 2 rookie corners and losing Josh Norman over petty differences...plus Kuechly missed several games as well.

Ya he had like 4 all pros on his defence, that's why his defence was unreal.. In case you haven't noticed, the bills don't have near that type of talent. And generally when teams hire coaches, they hire coaches who have had huge success as a coordinator so it's for sure not irrelevant.. Not too many average coordinators get picked to be head coaches. Gus Bradley, Dan Quinn, Adam Gase. All big successes with their respected units. Teams don't go after average coordinators for the most part. Unless your the bills I guess

Yes, you do please. Because while I'm not a big McDermott fan, you would need to look at all the years he's been a Defensive Coordinator, including the years leading up to this one...you know, the one that brought them to 15-1 and to the Super Bowl last year?? The one who have consistently been highly ranked for years leading up to this one? Is no one allowed to have an "off year", especially one where they lose two of their biggest Defensive playmakers in Norman and Keulchy? I realize Keulchy was not the entire season, but it still impacts the "overall" ranking....additionally, I'm not giving McDermott an excuse due to Norman, but it does play a role to some degree. Again, McDermott has enough Defensive Coordinator history to not take ONE season as to high or too low...IMO

4 all pros on his team that year... In case you haven't noticed, the bills don't have 2 all pro linebackers, the best corner in the league, and all pro lineman. What the bills have is one of the most overrated d lines in the league, bad linebackers, and a bad secondary

You judge him based on one season?

If you don't think playing two rookie corners was a crap hand he was dealt I don't know what to tell you. Even during their Super Bowl run, they had a couple of previously washed up vets at safety and were carried by the front 7 and Norman locking guys down.

Then the team let Norman walk, inexplicably cut Bene Benwikere, trotted a couple rookies out there, and hoped like hell it worked and it didn't.

Of course it played a hand, but every single team had injuries.. So if McDermott was in buffalo this year, you would just give him a free pass if the D sucked because they missed aaron Williams, ragland, dareus and others? We for sure didn't give Rex a free pass, and we wouldn't if McDermott was here as well