Jags hire Tom Coughlin as executive

YoloinOhio

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Call me crazy: Jags just became my second favorite team.

Right, wrong, offensive, agreeable... the fact remains: The Bills win over GB in Orchard Park 2 years ago was the high water mark of this franchise post-Homerun-throwback. They were this close to something: whether that something was a deep playoff run, or a complete implosion because of Saint Doug's demeanor, it was the classic give me an A or give me an F scenario. It kills me daily that we let him go. "But the media said he was as !@#$". Yup. They said the same thing about Trump--people saw through that, but only because alternative media exists in the political sphere. There is no alternative media on the Bills, aside from the players tweets. Oh--and Sammy saying the team needed a disciplinarian as a coach--which Doug was. So... there's that.

Anyways, he came in here and talked a big game. Then promptly backed it up. And consider: everyone on here hates the Bills management structure? Wasn't that Doug's biggest blowup? Basically tearing the front office a new one because they were saddling him with EJ-freaking Manuel? They got him the best of slim pickings at QB (without even really addressing the position), and he gave the city the best team they've seen in 15 years. Give him Tyrod and I think we're 12-4.

I'm loathe to post on here, but I'll bookmark this thread, and up it in a few years.

I have a feeling letting Saint Doug walk is going to be the worst move this franchise ever made--and that's saying something.

We f*cking sucked before he came to town, and suck now that he's gone. His 2014 season here sticks out like a lighthouse in a foggy shitstorm of futility hell.

I have a feeling letting Saint Doug walk is going to be the worst move this franchise ever made--and that's saying something.

If somebody doesn't want to be a part of the franchise, how do you make them stay? Not sure how you put that on the Bills, Marrone quit, plain and simple.

@rapsheet

The #Jaguars arent done. They are hiring Tom Coughlin as an executive, source says. He interviewed as a coach, staying as exec.

Nail in the coffin of Dave Caldwell I guess

IIRC, Coughlin made some cryptic statement to the effect that the Jaguars hadn't made him a head coach offer, and he just wanted to be in the right position to accept any positions that might develop.

I thought it was a slightly strange statement at the time, now I'm wondering whether the Jags floated this offer during the "HC" interview and that's one reason why Coughlin, touted as the "sizzling hot" HC candidate by some, only had an interview with the Jags. Maybe he had other offers and declined them? (not arguing pro or con if he were approached by the Bills).

Hi guys, long time bills fan ( since 60's and. Went to sb27, 28 cuz " they cant lose 3,,,er in row" (f#@$ cowboys forever!), and because I had my first practice ever in the building right under the group who origininally were behind bringing the jags to jax, I was a season club ticket holder of jags for 6 years with seats 5 rows behind visitors bench on 32 yd line praying to see the bills come down.. they never did. My last year as jags ticket holder was year of music city bull crap so I was 16 sec from being able to see the bills come and beat the crap out of the jags for the SB as the bills d under wade was amazing that year. So i sat thru the jags getting killed by the Titians who went on to lose to the rams that year. Was my last year as jags ticket holder since it interfered with me watching bills games, bills never came down here during that time until the following year !). Just mention as background to my thoughts.

So i think having watched all these guys over the years, this is going to be a good thing for the Jags. I really would have loved to see coughlin with the bills. Remember he does know how to build a team from ground zero . He was working two years building the structure before the first jags season. He put that organization together. He brought in Boselli, jimmy smith , Fred Taylor, got Brunell from Green Bay and remember sadly who put an end to Kelly's career and the bills home playoff win streak. Tough to watch as a bills fan in jax. Problem with coughlin back then and what led to his firing was he was so dictorial, (like players being made to keep helmets on in practice at all times in 90 degree plus temps , crazy stuff ) that eventually he lost the team and was known for never talking to players. He woke up with the firing and was a different coach with the giants by all accounts I have read. He does live here and is amazing with his generosity (jay fund) and he is a two time SB winner endiing the Pats undefieatd season and just for that I will always be grateful ! He is softer but still commands respect and discipline and he sticks to his Vision of how to win. He will be great helping turn this directionless organization after his departure, back around. The other gm is a young guy like Whaley, who I think will learn tremendously under coughlin. Actually i see this as a very smart move by Kahn. This guy is a good owner and also done many things to develop a vision for a struggling downtown Jacksonville.

Bi

As far as Marone, I hated him as a bills coach for all the reasons we all watched, and when the pu$$y walked from the bills, i was happy and thought good riddance. We all know he appears to be an ass personally , and coughlin was always seen like this in his time here. Who better to stand up to a bully than someone with documented Super Bowl success, who was that same personality before his reevaluation of his style and life. Coughlin is not some tired 70 year old. I bet he is in better shape than many of us and he is tireless. PLUS he still has PASSION that has sustained and is not phoney rhetoric like the Ryan hype. Marone will have someone to answer to who he will respect. Who would ever respect Whaley et al? Making more and more sense seeing why Marone left the mess that is now being exposed at OBD. So sadly i do believe the jags will be a contender well before the bills can right this deep deep dysfunctional mess.

Which finally brings my long post (forgive me since i help all this in for years) to the billls. I have no idea who can help fix this. I really hoped Polian would come back and if you listen to him on Sirius, you know this guy is a true master of the big picture of an organization and can verbalize that so well. ) . I dont have any faith things will change with Whaley still there. I see this as a huge mistake by the Pegulas when they had a chance to clean this up and perhaps attract a good candidate. Unlikely anyone except those wanting their first shot will want to walk into this situation. When Kelly is even calling the team out nationally, i think this has reached an all time low in my 40 plus years of following the bills, at least in the modern era of the salary cap. One thing i know for sure after watching him here for 4 years, is that Bradley is a disaster. He may have been an ok D.C. Once. But he was the most inept coach I have ever seen. Nice,nice guy. IMHO, too nice to be brought into a locker room where rookies like Lawson are even calling out the trash efforts we have seen the past two years. So if Anthony is hired and would bring bradly in, that already tells me he is not forward thinking and i would not see how anything changes with the pathetic d we witnessed. I see us not getting coughlin as a loss; here we go again in the same learn on the job mess we have all watched over and over. I would however be happy to at least watch the team if Frank was brought in. Who could not get behind THE MR COMEBACK?. Lets see, but it hurts watching this mess now and I think those who criticize coughlin just because of age will wish he had come to the bills when the jags beat us to Respectability. Thx for tolerating a long post. Frustrating supporting the bills for so long and watching close up as another once poorly run franchise like the jags look like they may even prove how it is possible to not continue accepting mediocrity.

Right, wrong, offensive, agreeable... the fact remains: The Bills win over GB in Orchard Park 2 years ago was the high water mark of this franchise post-Homerun-throwback. They were this close to something: whether that something was a deep playoff run, or a complete implosion because of Saint Doug's demeanor, it was the classic give me an A or give me an F scenario. It kills me daily that we let him go. (..)

Anyways, he came in here and talked a big game. Then promptly backed it up. And consider: everyone on here hates the Bills management structure? Wasn't that Doug's biggest blowup? Basically tearing the front office a new one because they were saddling him with EJ-freaking Manuel? They got him the best of slim pickings at QB (without even really addressing the position), and he gave the city the best team they've seen in 15 years. Give him Tyrod and I think we're 12-4.

I'm loathe to post on here, but I'll bookmark this thread, and up it in a few years.

We f*cking sucked before he came to town, and suck now that he's gone. His 2014 season here sticks out like a lighthouse in a foggy shitstorm of futility hell.

"Age of Aquarius", 12 posts, eh? I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that there is no "we" as in long history of Bills fandom with you - just a big load o' revisionist history from someone checking in here with a little ax to grind

1) Marrone wasn't "let go", he exercised an option in his contract (that should not have been there) around ownership change and quit

2) 9-7 leaning on a top 4 D coached by Schwartz, and a Game 16 where a healthy Brady was pulled out of the game after 48% of the snaps is still 9-7, but honest fans acknowledge you can see 8-8 from there (which is exactly where we wound up "after he left" and you can see it from 7-9 with the starting QB benched too)

3) Marrone's field of expertise, the OL and O, were much improved after he left

4) as far as "worst move this franchise has ever made", that pretty much proves my contention that you are not, in fact, a true Bills fan of any duration. 'Cuz if you were, you would know that "St Doug" has to stand in line for that "worst move" title - and it's a LONG line. He's not even halfway to the front of that long sad line.

Congrats to St Doug on landing another HC job and I wish him well (except when he plays the Bills). He did have great taste in defensive coordinators.

I know this was something some here wanted for the Bills. It sure didn't work for Marv Levy moving to the FO, and he's a great and wise manager and leader of men. Coughlin may prove me wrong, but I don't see this working well. It sure will be interesting to watch over the next three years!

Agreed, interesting move.

It kind of reminds me of the Dolphins bringing in Bill Parcells who was, at the time, I think 67 or 68. He shook up the organization, signed a buttload of unheralded FA, drafted Chad Henne, signed Chad Pennington, brought in Tony Sparano as HC. It worked for a year, going from 1-15 to 11-5 and playoffs, but lost 1st round. Success wasn't lasting, though, and they went 7-9 the next two season with Henne at QB, before Parcells left.

Maybe it will be great - lot of football knowledge came into the building with Mr Coughlin. I would have to say, though, that bringing in elder great coaches to right troubled organizations has been a mixed bag (Levy as GM not too helpful, Parcells initially great results but not lasting)

Agreed, interesting move.

It kind of reminds me of the Dolphins bringing in Bill Parcells who was, at the time, I think 67 or 68. He shook up the organization, signed a buttload of unheralded FA, drafted Chad Henne, signed Chad Pennington, brought in Tony Sparano as HC. It worked for a year, going from 1-15 to 11-5 and playoffs, but lost 1st round. Success wasn't lasting, though, and they went 7-9 the next two season with Henne at QB, before Parcells left.

Maybe it will be great - lot of football knowledge came into the building with Mr Coughlin. I would have to say, though, that bringing in elder great coaches to right troubled organizations has been a mixed bag (Levy as GM not too helpful, Parcells initially great results but not lasting)

Maybe it works and maybe it does not. Time will tell. But at least the Jags organization is trying. Some people here act like Marrone stood them up for the prom. But on paper anyway, the Jags seem to have gotten an upgrade with Marrone and Coughlin. As opposed to the Bills who will likely be getting a coordinator as their HC at some point, the same FO as it has been for several years, and your guess is as good as mine as to who will be playing QB. It's hard to imagine the drought gets broken this coming season, but hey miracles sometimes do happen.

Maybe it works and maybe it does not. Time will tell. But at least the Jags organization is trying. Some people here act like Marrone stood them up for the prom. But on paper anyway, the Jags seem to have gotten an upgrade with Marrone and Coughlin. As opposed to the Bills who will likely be getting a coordinator as their HC at some point, the same FO as it has been for several years, and your guess is as good as mine as to who will be playing QB. It's hard to imagine the drought gets broken this coming season, but hey miracles sometimes do happen.

The Jags organization is trying, and kudos to them for that. I just don't see it as the automatic "championship!" some here seem to portray, and if it does work for 1 year, not clear long-term success will follow (see: Dolphins, Parcells)

You say "getting a coordinator as their HC" as though that's a bad thing or a lessor thing than getting a retread HC. Am I reading into what you wrote or is that how you feel, and why?

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

Right, wrong, offensive, agreeable... the fact remains: The Bills win over GB in Orchard Park 2 years ago was the high water mark of this franchise post-Homerun-throwback. They were this close to something: whether that something was a deep playoff run, or a complete implosion because of Saint Doug's demeanor, it was the classic give me an A or give me an F scenario. It kills me daily that we let him go. "But the media said he was as !@#$". Yup. They said the same thing about Trump--people saw through that, but only because alternative media exists in the political sphere. There is no alternative media on the Bills, aside from the players tweets. Oh--and Sammy saying the team needed a disciplinarian as a coach--which Doug was. So... there's that.

doesn't even crack top 100

The Jags organization is trying, and kudos to them for that. I just don't see it as the automatic "championship!" some here seem to portray, and if it does work for 1 year, not clear long-term success will follow (see: Dolphins, Parcells)

You say "getting a coordinator as their HC" as though that's a bad thing or a lessor thing than getting a retread HC. Am I reading into what you wrote or is that how you feel, and why?

Kinda like coming in to this season as favorites to make the playoffs