Pegulas reportedly expressed remorse for benching Taylor

YoloinOhio

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@rapsheet

On #Bills search: Owners expressed remorse to interim coach Anthony Lynn for telling him to bench Tyrod Taylor in Week 17. Lynn likes Taylor

If I am Lynn it tells me everything I need to know about Pegs, the job and what I can expect moving forward. A meddlesome owner who knows little to nothing about football and is willing to undermine my authority on a whim. Not to mention Pegs cozying up to players behind the backs of coaching staff, if those reports were indeed true. And if this report is true then it has to give other candidates pause. Seems like that frack juice just got more toxic.

They don't want to tell the coach who to play. But I think they also want the coach to make the proper decisions for the good of the organization, not simply for the good of winning the next game, especially when that game is meaningless in the overall progress of the team.

This, coupled with the news that they want the coach to have more organizational power, tells me they are looking for a coach to have more aptitude towards organizational management. IMO this is a good thing.

Why would they express "remorse" to the media? Do these people have any idea how to run a business? They're great owners but they sure seem clueless.

if i'm a candidate, i'm definitely going to ask why the the head coach wasn't involved in discussions regarding the starting quarterback's status. i can only imagine what kind of fumbling answer whaley and pegs gave to that one.

i'm guessing they need to get this remorse story out to change the "narrative" (as whaley might say). now they can tell candidates it was all a horrible mistake that won't happen again.

If I am Lynn it tells me everything I need to know about Pegs, the job and what I can expect moving forward. A meddlesome owner who knows little to nothing about football and is willing to undermine my authority on a whim. Not to mention Pegs cozying up to players behind the backs of coaching staff, if those reports were indeed true. And if this report is true then it has to give other candidates pause. Seems like that frack juice just got more toxic.

I disagree.

It tells me that they want the HC making those decisions but did not trust him to do so. In fact, I would hope this whole situation is being brought up in the interviews.

Cardale starts ....Whaley is gone,after the season. I guarantee it.

Yes because this team probably goes 2-14 with him at Qb as he is playing right now. It would be a completely wasted season.

Why would they express "remorse" to the media? Do these people have any idea how to run a business? They're great owners but they sure seem clueless.

Well, it's pretty hard to become a billionaire in business if you have no idea on how to run a business.

Hopefully they did a bit of introspection over the last two weeks and evaluate what their subordinates have been telling them over tow years vs what's transpired and use that to form decisions going forward.

If the team started thinking about moving on from TT since October, what's the alternative being proposed? Is it reasonable to field a winning team?

What was he hearing from the team regarding the defensive scheme and the players not buying into it? Does a player suggesting that the Rob Ryan hire Madge things worse jibe with what he understood was going on?

Was the decision to start EJ in the finale an evaluation of him as a starter or a back up in the league?

A lot of things happened since the Oakland game that should give them clarity, if they choose to see it?

Sounds like they don't think they should have told him to bench him. But rather that they should have given the decision to Lynn. Sounds to me like Lynn not happy with the decision made for week 17.

I don't read much into it for what it means next year. If they aren't keeping taylor and lynn is offered and wants the job,he will have to accept that. Unless he truly has a say in the decision.

I don't think they should have given the decision to Lynn for the simple reason that Lynn was just an interim HC which means there was no guarantee he was going to be a HC next year and such a decision could have potentially impacted the Bills for years to come (had he gotten even more injured). As such, Bills ownership/upper management should have (and rightfully did) made that call. The only thing that maybe could have been done differently is how they went about making that call..b/c there were conflicting reports as to whether Lynn was even in the room/phone when that conversation occurred.

They don't want to tell the coach who to play. But I think they also want the coach to make the proper decisions for the good of the organization, not simply for the good of winning the next game, especially when that game is meaningless in the overall progress of the team.

This, coupled with the news that they want the coach to have more organizational power, tells me they are looking for a coach to have more aptitude towards organizational management. IMO this is a good thing.

Lynn wanted to use the meaningless game to run a more pass centered offensive game plan so that the organization could make a more informed decision on Tyrod's option.

Dramatic. No coaches resume is tarnished by that game.

Untrue, except maybe I was a little dramatic. Still, coaches want to win every game for themselves and their players. Every game matters and every one goes on a coach's record. You thinking Rex sees it differently?

@rapsheet

On #Bills search: Owners expressed remorse to interim coach Anthony Lynn for telling him to bench Tyrod Taylor in Week 17. Lynn likes Taylor

I take this from the viewpoint that the Pegulas are good decent people and don't like to do things that could potentially harm someone if it isn't warranted.

They probably realize that by having Lynn coach his very first NFL game and then handicapping him isn't exactly going to help the guy's career. They sat him up for a high chance of failure in that game and they probably regret that because that is what a decent person would think. If they really like the guy as a person, which I assume they do, then it is easy to see why they would feel bad about handicapping him for his very first day at a new job.

I bet it was more about that then anything else.

Jones is not exposed. He is still developing. Of course EJ is completely developed if not over exposed.

Way to early to make the call on Cardale.

Just keep telling yourself that. We saw the exact same things that got him benched in college. He has a great arm, but he will never be a great QB. Never.

I'd prefer they learn from Kraft, Mara, and Rooney and hire someone to make their product work while they just rub elbows with the other owners.

I gotta' disagree with this somewhat. Mara and Rooney inherited SB winning franchises with strong organizations in place. It's been easy for them. Their fathers bumbled GREATLY before finally finding the right stewardship for their teams.

Kraft is an interesting one though. He has hired Bill Parcell, Pete Carroll and Bill Belichick. What are the odds of hiring THREE HOF coaches in a f*cking row? And he ran the first two out of town! :lol:

Prior to Belichick getting there he was without question a meddler......but BB won a SB in year 2 with the team so it got REALLLLLY easy not to meddle thereafter. :thumbsup:

I don't think the Pegula's are wrong for wanting to be actively involved with turning around the most moribund franchise in the NFL......you can't just turn this sh*t show over to someone and walk away.

Kraft inherited a mess too and he didn't just fade into the woodwork.

Kraft is simply better at identifying the right people to hire. He was plotting to own the team for 25+ years before he bought it and he found a rich woman to marry and was able to live out his dream. The Pegula's were very casual football fans......and they inherited a football-dumb braintrust lead by Russ Brandon. They've clearly discarded his opinion so that hurdle has been crossed.

I think they need to hire Lynn and if it doesn't work out dump Lynn and Whaley and the entire football department next year or the year after and try to find their own Parcells.

Untrue, except maybe I was a little dramatic. Still, coaches want to win every game for themselves and their players. Every game matters and every one goes on a coach's record. You thinking Rex sees it differently?

Then how do you explain teams that sit guys?

Sure they want to win but no one is losing sleep over sitting an injured qb with big business issues on the horizon for a meaningless game.

If they are worried about it they shouldn't hold that much power.

Could be trying to allay questions from HC candidates about the Taylor benching. I'm sure all of them want assurances that such things wouldn't happen if they were to become HC here. Every win is precious to an NFL HC. Even a loss that helps or protects the organization. Even a loss the last game of a lost season. That L still goes on the coach's record and resume. It's still a loss for the coaches and his players. While I agree that benching Taylor was necessary to protect the team, it's something that needs to be appropriately addressed with candidates.

You know, "every win is precious to an NFL HC" should really not be an organizational mandate or mantra.

To be a successful team, requires that the players put the team above personal goals -stay home on D and mind their gap instead of always going for the sack or the big play, be willing to lay down the block instead of saving themselves on offense. To be a successful team requires that the coach put the team above personal goals - sometimes be willing to bench a player and take a loss in a meaningless game to obtain better draft position and protect the team's options

The only reason to give a young rookie head coach more control is a vote of "no confidence" in Whaley's past decisions or the coach's ability to work with Whaley and make their case to him successfully when needed - and I repeat, if that's the case, the right thing to do isn't to give the young rookie head coach more control, it's to move on from Whaley right now.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

Just keep telling yourself that. We saw the exact same things that got him benched in college. He has a great arm, but he will never be a great QB. Never.

Just like EJ? What about this is "just like EJ?"

Did the rookie EJ go from the 3rd string to a playoff start after a short week, on the road against the best defense in the league,with a first possession on the 5?

Who writes a guy off that quick?

I expect at least one more interception, but some nice plays too.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Jimmy Sexton is my guess

This.

Sexton isn't where a lot of this national stuff is coming from. He's both very good at his job, and a scumbag.

If Lynn likes Taylor, as the tweet suggests, and it came from Sexton, who is Lynn's agent as well as Rex's, there is a decent chance that TT stays despite other nation reports like Schefter's. I just don't see Whaley hiring any of the other guys interviewed and then going into the season with such a mess at QB. If he does, he's an idiot.