Your the GM

PatsFanNH

WR1b - no guarantee WR1 will be healthy enough to play + kickers.

I didn't want to include positions in obvious need of upgrades, but you gotta think at least Carp gets replaced. That probably will have minimal impact on the salary cap. Very true about WR1. Failure to address the position this past season has led to this. We're an injury (or failure of injury to heal) to Watkins away from nothing but scrubs at the position. I'm not sure how that's acceptable to Pegula and is one reason I'm surprised Whaley is still here.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could be wrong, but I don't think you can cut a player (eg refuse to pick up option) and then tag him. Nor can you tag a player who is under contract because it saves you $$ over the contract terms.

Gilmore has made it clear he thinks he is worth top-5 money. He is not going to sign for $10-12 which puts him in the 8-11 range, unless he tests his worth on the open market first.

You are correct. The Bills cannot cut and tag him. The smart move is to keep him, but we're talking about the Bills here.

I think moving on from Carp helps our cap. It is a $2.4m saving in 2017 and he will be the 11th highest paid kicker (based on current contracts) in 2017 if he is retained. I expect to see the Bills go with a cheaper and younger option at the position. What they do at punter is more interesting to me. Schmidt had some really poor games this year after being pretty reliable before that.

OTC is using $170m actually. But you may well be right on the carry over.

OTC shows $168,000,000 right at the top of the chart for base salary cap. They seem to only be giving the Bills $2.8M carryover though. Thus the $170.8M in team salary cap. I wonder if they're including some end of season bonuses that spotrac isn't.

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

Edited by BarleyNY

You have 23 million cap space, who do you go after in FA and who do you resign of your own FA?

Also who is your #10 overall pick.

If I was GM I would try keep Woods as I believe the O is in good shape with weapons and I don't want have to use a draft pick on another WR. I would let Gilmore walk and I would try sign Prince Amukamara to a 2 year deal. He has potential and probably be cheaper than Gilmore. I would also target Claiborne from Dallas.

In the draft I would grab Jonathan Allen if he fell to the Bills or if he wasn't available try trade down to the mid teens and get Malik McDowell from Michigan State. In the second I get a QB like Pat Mahoney from Texas tech.

I'd like to keep Z. Brown, Lorax, and maybe Woody if their asking price isn't ridiculous. Bring back Felton, Hunter, Mills, Douz, Bryant, and White. Offer a high tender to Mike G, and a low to Groy. Gilly is gone unless there was trade interest, then I'd tag and ship off to the Browns or something.

I really like the Prince signing if he comes at a very cheap prove it kind of deal. Not big on Claiborne with the injury bug tag on him, but wouldn't mind his skillset if he can stay healthy..

As for the draft, I would like to snag either Malik Hooker or Quincy Wilson depending on who is available. They're both aggressive and seem to have a nose for the ball. If both aren't there, then I would trade back on three different occasions to accumulate as many draft picks as possible. Probably trade with a team in the middle of round one, then I'd try to trade with a playoff team, and finally with the owner of the 1st overall pick in the second round (Currently owned by the Browns). With that philosophy, we'd have about 24 hours to evaluate the best players available rather than 10 min on the clock. Typically the best players available are plagued by injuries, off field issues, small school players, or raw talent. I feel like we have the best chance of snagging a top tier guy (Guys that are pissed they didn't get selected in Round 1) at this spot, plus we can accumulate several other picks in this draft as well as additional picks in the following years draft. With a couple of years of trading down and snagging hidden gems, or team SHOULD be loaded with talent on the cheap side. This would open up much needed cap space to retain the best talent and prevent us from having to sign 28 free agents every year.

OTC shows $168,000,000 right at the top of the chart for base salary cap. They seem to only be giving the Bills $2.8M carryover though. Thus the $170.8M in team salary cap. I wonder if they're including some end of season bonuses that spotrac isn't.

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

Ah. Indeed. The plot thickens. Basically it is somewhere between about $26m and $30m with the Tyrod deal included. I worked on the OTC $26m and there is still space to do some things (though big name free agents would require equally big name cuts unless you let either TT or Gilmore walk). If there is actually a couple of $m more than that then obviously that helps a little.

I don't think either is right. You have $26M after getting the refund from Dareus ($25.99). This is the current number on OTC and assumes we pick up Tyrod's option

Tell me why I like Prince Amukamara better than Stephon Gilmore in terms of playing ability?

If I'm the GM, I'm interviewing Dave Toub. Assuming they're consistent with the new coachs' scheme, I try to resign Zach Brown and Lorax

I would like to keep Woods if I can, but we really need a big possession WR or a 2nd TE. We have all these little speedy guys (Goodwin, Listenbee) who can't hold up to the wear-n-tear of 16 games hits.

DON'T forget that Gragg may recover to provide another TE. O'Leary is developing nicely and a new OC will probably utilize Sammy more appropriately. I'd be happy to see our wr corps retained.

Does anyone know if Easley will recover?

As a GM I would trade down in the draft every year as often as possible, especially these next couple years as our depth is so thin. The reason is, no matter what you think, you're going to miss on 50% of these guys. You just never know how a college player handed millions of dollars is going to react to that change. For example, this year we are picking around 10th when we easily could have been picking 15-20th. So trade down into that range anyway and pick up as many extra picks as possible.

Then, only pick high character, intelligent players and leave the high risk players alone. Their miss rate is much higher. If we would have done that the past several years I am certain we'd have a much better team.

then let TT walk and sign EJ to a 1 year deal. let EJ be your starter.....1-15

No, I'd sell the false hope of developing Jones and sign a career back-up. Also draft a QB in the 4th or 5th again and sell that we're looking for a franchise QB. Finish 1-15 fire Anthony Lynn or whatever bottom tier candidate that is interested in the Bills job right now. Hope Darnold and Rosen declare pick 1 or 2 and they attract a better candidate. I'd reference the Sabres play for Eichel as a blue print.

No, I'd sell the false hope of developing Jones and sign a career back-up. Also draft a QB in the 4th or 5th again and sell that we're looking for a franchise QB. Finish 1-15 fire Anthony Lynn or whatever bottom tier candidate that is interested in the Bills job right now. Hope Darnold and Rosen declare pick 1 or 2 and they attract a better candidate. I'd reference the Sabres play for Eichel as a blue print.

You need Frank Reich as your Ted Nolan. Draft Chad Kelly and let him compete with Cardale.

Now you have your choice of QB in 2018.

Edited by jeffismagic

You need Frank Reich as your Ted Nolan. Draft Chad Kelly and let him compete with Cardale.

Now you have your choice of QB in 2018.

You're on to something Jeff. First, my HC (Reich) will need to run some semblance of the offense it ran last year. Secondly, I'd resign Tyrod. I'd try to resign Woods. I'd let Gilmore go and roll with Seymore and Darby at CB. Get me a kicker in FA. In the draft, in this order, I'd get Corey Davis @10, draft best safety available in 2nd and I'd get Chad Kelly in the 3rd. I know people are down on Chad, but "the tape don't lie".

If I was the GM, I' be a little pr!ck with a Napoleonic Complex that runs a mile wide. I would leak dirt on my head coach to the media, and generally undermine those in the organization that I could not get along with. And I would snort a dimebag of coke before my end-of-season press conference, and just come across as an incompetent jackass.

Lil Doug. :lol: