Disconnecting From Work

Chef Jim

I'm pretty strict about separating work and my home life. Forget about emails, once my work day is done, I don't even want to talk about the place. I have never connected a work email to the email app in my phone. That way I can't be distracted by it. If I want to read a work email on my phone, I have to login through the website. When the workload gets a bit more demanding, I may stay a little longer each day, but I will not take that home with me.

I say I never take it home with me, but I do on occasion work from home so I can avoid the long drive, get a little extra sleep, or if someone is coming with a delivery or working on the house. Anything between 8-5 is work time in my mind, so that much I can do from home, especially when no one else is there.

edit: Strangely enough, my boss just approached me and asked if I'd be willing to share a desk with someone and work from home 50% of the time. Apparently they're running out of space here.

Edited by shrader

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no home life. I'm always at work in some fashion. And you know what benefit I gain from it? None at all. Except for being the smartest person in the room, all the time, because I'm always the best prepared.

Which just makes people hate me.

If you are in a client driven business and you want to keep your clients, this is impossible. I am on my phone 24-7. I don't even put that out of the office message on when I am out, because I am always accessible.

The upside is that I have flexibility too, and don't need to be

In the office to work.

i am in a client driven business and you will find some that need everything NOW, but generally speaking i find that the ones with unrealistic expectations often end up being the less prosperous relationships to cultivate. most industries have plenty of people that understand "i will go ahead and get the quote to you monday morning" and the folks that get that are often likely to get that there is a fair market price for the good/service too. when carving out your niche and where to spend your time/energy/appreciation, i like to focus on them and not the everything on my terms no matter how unreasonable crowd.

I've known many unfortunate people that have bosses that send them txts and questions throughout the evening. (My wife was one of them.) They were in no position to ask their bosses to stop. It was just the way things were at their work. (It's not a question about having the balls to talk to them.)

I have no problem with this law and cannot understand why some law in France would bother you.

A new law in France that was enacted Jan 1st allows workers to not have to "work" while they are off the clock. With many of us carrying our office in our pocket it's sometimes hard or even impossible to disconnect. Emails/texts/calls from clients, vendors, customers, bosses, coworkers getting to you 24/7 is frustrating. I don't think we need a law here in the US like in France. See the big difference is here in the US we have !@#$ing BALLS! I have completely turned off all notifications for my work email to my phone. I leave work it's up to me whether or not I want to continue to work not by boss so no need for the pansy French law. So my question is how many of you continue to work when you're "off the clock" and how many of you do because your boss expects you to?

Work at home ? Nope.

Once the weedeaters, blowers and mowers are off they are off.

come down friday next week for sabres/canes

I have no home life. I'm always at work in some fashion. And you know what benefit I gain from it? None at all. Except for being the smartest person in the room, all the time, because I'm always the best prepared.

Which just makes people hate me.

they just hate me because i'm beautiful

but, as big of a curmudgeon you are... you have a few pretty nifty hobbies. you are a carpenter. you play guitar. you play with lasers. you read coloring books.

The fact that Chef Jim went to the home opener (and will go again this year) leads me to believe he married up, is a kept man, and this thread is a bunch of bull **** because the only calls he gets are from his butcher when his cappicola is adequately aged.

Edited by BringBackFergy

I work in the central office of a public school system... I work 8-4 either from a desk, meeting with parents, or traveling between schools. Most public school teachers work at night from home grading, planning, networking for ideas, etc. I do not generally bring any of my work home with me. I will occasionally stay at work late and will occasionally type a report from my home computer, but I refuse to bring files home and bring work stress home. I will also check emails and respond to most of them too. I've never asked anyone to do anything after hours nor have I ever been mandated to do something from 5pm-8am the next day.

I work in the central office of a public school system... I work 8-4 either from a desk, meeting with parents, or traveling between schools. Most public school teachers work at night from home grading, planning, networking for ideas, etc. I do not generally bring any of my work home with me. I will occasionally stay at work late and will occasionally type a report from my home computer, but I refuse to bring files home and bring work stress home. I will also check emails and respond to most of them too. I've never asked anyone to do anything after hours nor have I ever been mandated to do something from 5pm-8am the next day.

It sounds like we have very similar jobs. I also am an itinerant school district employee. I serve 4 schools, but work out of the district's central office. I try really hard to not bring work home with me, but during busy times of the year (November/December, April-June) I usually am forced to bring home work mostly to write reports. I do not check my work email after work hours, however, as I have found that there are lots of lonely/bored educators out there that are more than willing to pester me with emails all night long. It can wait until the morning, and if there is a real crisis (which is very rare) my supervisor and superintendent both have my cell phone number.

I'm connected 24/7 to my (currently) two projects. While it sounds bad I love the freedom of being able to go anywhere and still get things done. If you have to work, why not do it with an ocean view?

"Such a muddy line between the things you want and the things you have to do."

It's an occupation, not salvation.

Better yet... Why not have the ocean (I prefer mountain) view and get nothing done... Until you want to return. Notice I said "WANT to return." :D:D...And tell work to phuck off.

Oh... And any place will turn into "two day old fish" if you stay long enough. :nana:

I'm connected 24/7 to my (currently) two projects. While it sounds bad I love the freedom of being able to go anywhere and still get things done. If you have to work, why not do it with an ocean view?

i've always wondered why you don't get more in to agricultural realms. your patience, intelligence and fortitude to do things you could be successful with bees, herbs and spices, and micro greens. none of those take a large amount of land.

you're up there where people will pay a lot for that local, homegrown etc stuff and an suburban homestead really does a lot for its neighbors.

i've always wondered why you don't get more in to agricultural realms. your patience, intelligence and fortitude to do things you could be successful with bees, herbs and spices, and micro greens. none of those take a large amount of land.

you're up there where people will pay a lot for that local, homegrown etc stuff and an suburban homestead really does a lot for its neighbors.

Yes... But if he caters to the "Mass Influence."

It's New England (Promo I think is in NH), under the façade it is probably one of the most hardest for a lot to get by in.

https://www.bostonfed.org/publications/community-outlook-survey/2014/january/january-new-englands-rural-poor.aspx