Big media mystery.....why did Ryan get fired?

They're jumping all over Whaley for not knowing the reasons that Pegula got rid of Ryan. They didn't have to tell him. And the media should be able to figure out why they fired him.

He failed. As a coach, he was lousy. As a game manager, he sucked. Just look at the Miami game! As a defensive coach, he was awful! Look at the season!! He hired his twin, and things got worse.

The pundits are critical because, what, the owners didn't come out and say why they fired Rex Ryan? Did they really have to spell it out?

These billionaires came in and bought the Bills. They thought hiring Rex was a great idea. At the time it looked like that. Celebrity, took the Jets to 2 championship games in his first 2 years.....had great defenses....I can't blame them for hiring him. But he let them down continuously and they let him go.

Maybe Doug was against the hire 2 years ago, and now the Pegulas are admitting their error in judgment and letting Doug do the hire. With their rubber stamp.

Whatever. The media needs to shut up and let us find our next coach.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow thanks TC! All this time I thought it was a reporter's job to ask questions, investigate and report what they hear. Did not know they could just skip all that work and "figure it out for themselves." You've revolutionized journalism in a single message board post.

Wow thanks TC! All this time I thought it was a reporter's job to ask questions, investigate and report what they hear. Did not know they could just skip all that work and "figure it out for themselves." You've revolutionized journalism in a single message board post.

Yeah, brilliant. Why'd he get fired? Because he sucks, that's why. Is that what you needed to go to Journalism school for? Who gives a rat's butt why he got fired anyway. he's gone. Focus on the future.

The media rode Rex's butt for weeks about the same topic. Why don't they feel the need to talk about football?

Rex got fired because he said to Pegs "I can't work with Whaley so you need to fire one of us" and in that case the easy move is to fire the guy who is the face of the dysfunction: the head coach. Plus Rex did a poor job.

By comparison, Pegs clearly thinks Whaley has done a good job and deserves a chance to pick his own HC.

What are you missing, please elaborate! Watch the playoffs this weekend, take a deep breath and understand the Buffalo Bills as an organization have failed! Not the MEDIA!

No, the big mystery is why didn't Whaley also get fired for 7 years of failure.

Holy cow, common sense on this board!

No, the big mystery is why didn't Whaley also get fired for 7 years of failure.

He's only been the GM since 2013 so not sure where you got 7 years from. He's been with the team for 7 years sure but has been the GM for 4 years and has only been involved in one coach hiring (Ryan). Marrone was hired by Nix (6 months prior) to Whaley taking over.

They're jumping all over Whaley for not knowing the reasons that Pegula got rid of Ryan. They didn't have to tell him. And the media should be able to figure out why they fired him.

He failed. As a coach, he was lousy. As a game manager, he sucked. Just look at the Miami game! As a defensive coach, he was awful! Look at the season!! He hired his twin, and things got worse.

The pundits are critical because, what, the owners didn't come out and say why they fired Rex Ryan? Did they really have to spell it out?

These billionaires came in and bought the Bills. They thought hiring Rex was a great idea. At the time it looked like that. Celebrity, took the Jets to 2 championship games in his first 2 years.....had great defenses....I can't blame them for hiring him. But he let them down continuously and they let him go.

Maybe Doug was against the hire 2 years ago, and now the Pegulas are admitting their error in judgment and letting Doug do the hire. With their rubber stamp.

Whatever. The media needs to shut up and let us find our next coach.

It would have caused a lot less fuss if Whaley had just called up Pegula and said "I'm sure it'll be asked in my Monday presser, can you either go on the record before then with an interview to the press, or else give me a couple reasons why you made the decision to fire Rex there and then instead of waiting until the end of season when we review everyone?"

Otherwise, it's certainly the media's job to ask questions, but they're acting as though it's news that Rex reported directly to Pegula, which is nonsense.

They're entitled to their opinion that it's strange Whaley didn't ask why and wasn't consulted beforehand.

Yeah, brilliant. Why'd he get fired? Because he sucks, that's why. Is that what you needed to go to Journalism school for? Who gives a rat's butt why he got fired anyway. he's gone. Focus on the future.

The media rode Rex's butt for weeks about the same topic. Why don't they feel the need to talk about football?

Lots of people wanted to know the reasoning behind the firing, that's why. Maybe not you, but the assembled media doesn't answer to you, snowflake. Same thing happens when ANY NFL team fires their coach, by the way.

"Focus on the future." Ok. Serious question: what questions about "the future" do you think Whaley was prepared to answer in a substantive way on January 2, a day after the previous regular season has ended? You think They should've been asking about the draft, which is months away? Or about retaining current players, when end of year evaluations haven't even happened yet? Seriously you think Whaley would've gave actual answers to those questions?

He's only been the GM since 2013 so not sure where you got 7 years from. He's been with the team for 7 years sure but has been the GM for 4 years and has only been involved in one coach hiring (Ryan). Marrone was hired by Nix (6 months prior) to Whaley taking over.

He's been with the team for 7 years, so he gets credited for 7 years of failure, just as Russ gets credited for 17 and Monos gets credited for 4. It's a team effort.

Rex: I'm starting Tyrod

Terry: I ain't paying that motha!@#$a if he gets hurt

Actually.

Rex: Tyrod's starting. I need to pad my W-L record.

Terry: Actually we'd rather lose that game for the draft pick.

Rex: Well I'm not going be here so I don't care about no draft pick.

Terry:You're right, Rex. Buh-bye.

90% of fans wanted him fired news people said he should be fired - owners fire him - people and the sports media want to know why

He sucked people. I just don't understand all the nuts in the world.

Because they want a spicy quote of an owner knocking down such a high profile personality so they can gain clicks. It is literally middle school gossip.

He's been with the team for 7 years, so he gets credited for 7 years of failure, just as Russ gets credited for 17 and Monos gets credited for 4. It's a team effort.

And so have some of the training staff, waterboys, Jills (at least they used to), etc.

Blame everyone because it's easier right?

Personally, I blame Janice in HR for the piss poor quality of play on the field since she didn't properly file someone's flexible spending account paperwork.

Could some of this be damage control for Rex from certain members of the media? Rex always gave the media a lot to write about and probably

upped the views of their work (for the local guys) nationally. Plus, as we saw with Marrone and others, certain members of the media tout certain

people based on shared agents, or because of where they get some of their inside info (be it an agent or team or league source), etc. Rex is

possibly looking to land a TV job or maybe he still wants to coach, so the Bills FO being completely dysfunctional takes some of the heat off of

Rex for not working out. Plus, nationally, I think a lot of media members just like him.

Now, I'm not saying the Bills haven't screwed some things up and of course, Rex would have been much better without all the injuries, etc. But the media really does seem to be going way over the top with this tire fire "narrative."

Just a theory.

Edited by folz

Team effort produced a top 4 defense in points allowed in 2014

Team effort produced a top 9 scoring offense in 2016.

Credit goes to....

Man, the apologists are in overdrive. Lol.

The MEDIA- comic book super villains responsible for all the worlds ills. They've replaced the Jews as defacto scapegoats apparently.

Edited by vincec