A simple question for the media who frequent this board

GRHater69

john wawrow is one of the crown jewels of TBD.

we probably learn more reliable first hand info from him than any other source.

on the internet, some would find fault with mother Teresa.

jw we appreciate your participation in our little dysfunctional family.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

now where do i send you that $25?

jw

(thanks)

I don't know how to stop the twitter snark that gushes out of people after 17 years of this stuff.

It got rough during the tank years with the Sabres. It seems the internet is rife with snark, cynicism, negativity across any topic or medium. See: 2016 Presidential election.

Our country has a long history of opinion media, dating back to the founding years of the republic. That is not going to change.

Personally, I feel fans MUST separate their emotions when reading critical analysis of the team. I get it, you're fans. But they're not attacking YOU when they're attacking the football team. It's THE BILLS' FAULT for putting themselves in this situation. It's not "being negative." It's being correct. Don't take Sully or Bucky's take personally.

The role of any media is to expose and tell the truth. It would be untruthful to represent the Bills as anything other than a failed organization, judging by their football performance, over the last 17 years. That is honest, accurate representation of the facts. Are they profitable? Yes. But the product is woefully inadequate. It would be irresponsible to print anything else.

Before the season starts, I'd want to be CORRECT about the team's prospects, regardless of my desires for them to be better. So it would be smart to predict a 7-9, 8-8, 9-7 season. That's what Vegas had the Bills. Average. I'd rather be right.

I don't know how to stop the twitter snark that gushes out of people after 17 years of this stuff.

Your entire post is correct. Social Media has accomplished 2 things:

1. creating an Outrage culture

2. making people believe that just because they have somewhere to say something that they should say it and people should care.

you need to find twitter my man! That's where you can get alllllll that reliable first hand info

Twitter = instant info from good sources (yes obviously there are bad ones on there too, but easy to figure out)

TBD = in depth discussion of football

I hope your not really using TBD for your breaking bills news

I thought ty wrote a really nice exclusive interview story a few years ago about Watkins. Mike rodent then took out of context quotes from it to form click-bait headlines that painted Sammy in a poor light. That's today's media vs. real media in a nutshell.

good point, a few years ago......since then he never gets any direct details that haven't already been reported

Nic Veronica made a nice, but short article on McDermott. He also posted a bullet list of the short candidate list in another brief article. So there is that.

thank goodness some real facts

John is pretty much the only one who actually tells us anything we didn't already know.

And his accuracy is far higher than his BN peers.

now where do i send you that $25?

jw

(thanks)

This is all you pay for a plug???

That's why you don't get many.

you need to find twitter my man! That's where you can get alllllll that reliable first hand info

Twitter = instant info from good sources (yes obviously there are bad ones on there too, but easy to figure out)

TBD = in depth discussion of football

I hope your not really using TBD for your breaking bills news

you seem to be very unfamiliar with what i do, and yet, seem to feel the need to ask an open question to the media, and then proceed to inform me what TBD and Twitter equals.

i've been a member in good standing on this board for a few years now, so pardon my skepticism. i've been counseled here by far better.

jw

you seem to be very unfamiliar with what i do, and yet, seem to feel the need to ask an open question to the media, and then proceed to inform me what TBD and Twitter equals.

i've been a member in good standing on this board for a few years now, so pardon my skepticism. i've been counseled here by far better.

jw

John,

I have a couple of more questions.

1) what are the guidelines for using an anonymous source? Do you need confirmation, depends on the relationship and past reliability of the source?

2) do you need to get confirmation from another source confirming the initial anonymous source?

3) I noticed that no one asked Whaley whether he was the source for LaCanfora re Rex - the leak that came out just before the Pittsburgh game. In fact, I do not recall anyone asking anyone else whether they were a source for someone else (other than perhaps Deep Throat). Is this a question that journalists would hesitate or avoid asking because it may scare sources?

John,

I have a couple of more questions.

1) what are the guidelines for using an anonymous source? Do you need confirmation, depends on the relationship and past reliability of the source?

2) do you need to get confirmation from another source confirming the initial anonymous source?

3) I noticed that no one asked Whaley whether he was the source for LaCanfora re Rex - the leak that came out just before the Pittsburgh game. In fact, I do not recall anyone asking anyone else whether they were a source for someone else (other than perhaps Deep Throat). Is this a question that journalists would hesitate or avoid asking because it may scare sources?

1) At the AP, we can only rely upon people with direct knowledge of what's going on, and not someone who heard it from someone who knows as in: the person who negotiated the deal, signed the contract or is in a position of approving the deal

2) In certain instances we can go with one source based on high up the ladder that person is.

3) The question to Whaley was relatively unique, but certainly merited being raised given some unconfirmed rumors that have been floating around for past 3 weeks. And no, I won't get into what those rumors are.

jw

3) The question to Whaley was relatively unique, but certainly merited being raised given some unconfirmed rumors that have been floating around for past 3 weeks. And no, I won't get into what those rumors are.

jw

Now you really have piqued my curiosity.

Very interesting . . . .

1) At the AP, we can only rely upon people with direct knowledge of what's going on, and not someone who heard it from someone who knows as in: the person who negotiated the deal, signed the contract or is in a position of approving the deal

2) In certain instances we can go with one source based on high up the ladder that person is.

jw

Rumors? You mean those ones about the Replacements getting back together for a final finale tour in '17?

AP reports facts, probably best to stick to reading them. Everyone else is just concerned with "hot takes". As long as people are sitting down and watching Skip Bayless spew his nonsense and engaging in twitter feuds with TBN, this will not change.

This!

Ty Dunne was too good for Buffalo. He just happens to be from here so he took a local gig for a short time but now he's back on the path to bigger and better things. We are left with the cracker jack squad of local sports reporters that get outscooped by Adam Schefters cell phone on a daily basis

if you say so.

jw

Do you consider yourself a local reporter, John? I consider you National as an AP writer, but perhaps that's my ignorance?

Wonder what the press guys say about TSW posters when they are together swilling Gennys at the pub?

I'm fairly certain I prefer not to know.

jw

John, Are you talking about this question, which I believe was yours?

Q: There’s an overriding sense that this franchise is plummeting into dysfunction. What gives you the belief that you are the person capable of righting the ship?

Would it be correct to believe that other reporters, not employed or writing for AP, do not have as high standards for sources?

Please explain me to me why you spend so much time on all this silly gossip about who said what and that the organization is dysfunctional etc. when the team has identified two potential coaching candidates and plans to interview them, one today and one this weekend and yet you have given us as Bills fans ZERO info on either of these two coaches. Isn't that part of your job as well??? What talents do these guys potentially bring to the table? Why should we as fans be excited or not about them possibly leading the team? In other words, Why aren't you doing your job and informing us instead of all this click-bait BS over and over again?

Oh, man, you're in for it now. Expecting reporters to, I don't know, report, sounds like asking them to get off their butts and do some work. And that's grounds to rip you to shreds. Metaphorically that is because anything else would necessitate the expenditure of energy.

Define a higher standard of professionalism.

Sounds to me like some fans want local and national NFL coverage of their favorite team to not interfere with their worldview that things aren't that bad at OBD.

Are things really bad at OBD or is that a creation of the local media? Inquiring minds want to know.

Your entire post is correct. Social Media has accomplished 2 things:

1. creating an Outrage culture

2. making people believe that just because they have somewhere to say something that they should say it and people should care.

Don't undervalue all of that. It could get you elected to a very high office.

jw

And once again JW proves his worth. Jeez, imagine if there was even one guy like that at TBN.