Doug Whaley angry that Rex got fired?

what is true then?

Ask Doug. He was very vocal about the search and selection process. Unless you are one of the posters who claims he made all of those comments under duress and to simply appease his masters, he is clear as to what the truth around that hire was.

And for those of you claim that Whaley's choice of Hue Jackson was over ruled by the Pegulas, even if that was true, Whaley should be fired for that potential disaster of a choice as well.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently, Whaley wasn't involved in that decision which seems so very odd because every other team in the NFL (even the Cowboys because the owner is the GM) allows their General manager to hire and fire the head coaches.

I'm not sure this is true. Certainly other teams in the country do have the same structure as the Bills where the GM and Coach both report to the same person (CEO/President usually)

In any case, it's not news that Rex reported to Pegula, not Whaley; it was set up that way and announced when Rex was hired two years ago. I thought it was ridiculous that one or more of the reporters was acting as though that was news.

All of this is to create the illusion of a clean start.

The blame comes off Whaley. He's not tied to Rex's hiring/firing. He's leading the new coach search. It sends the message that NOW Whaley gets his chnace to pick his guy. Which is bull ****.

It may be bullsh*t, it may not be bullsh*t, but if it means one guy below Pegula (Whaley) will have responsibility and accountability, and will be fired if it doesn't work out, I think it's a positive thing.

A committee's decision is always no one's fault.

Ask Doug. He was very vocal about the search and selection process. Unless you are one of the posters who claims he made all of those comments under duress and to simply appease his masters, he is clear as to what the truth around that hire was.

And for those of you claim that Whaley's choice of Hue Jackson was over ruled by the Pegulas, even if that was true, Whaley should be fired for that potential disaster of a choice as well.

Why would he have to make the comments under duress? Please point me to an organization where a manager inserts his personal views that are counter to the company line.

It's very plausible that Whaley wasn't all in on the Rex hire. But nobody should expect him to say that publicly, then or now.

As for Hue Jackson, the jury is still out.

i would suggest Rex wasn't his first choice, but he figured he could work with him because they shared the same run/stop the run philosophy. Saying Rex was not his first choice does not equal he was against the hire.

As for your second point, fired for potential disaster, really?

I thought it was obvious, but why get in the way of TBN crying session?

Why does nobody cate that the Clemson game was more important to Rex?

Rex was relieved and glad to be gone. The talkative HC was again facing failure and besieged with criticism. His reputation as a defensive guru was besmirched. The more he tried to fix his side of the ball the more it faltered.

Rex had one of the largest coaching staffs in the league because he didn't want to get into the nitty-gritty of coaching any longer. He was so disengaged with his roster that he wasn't even aware that Clay was not going to make the Oakland trip due to his wife's pregnancy.

Rex loved the spot light at the podium. At the end the lights were on a man who had nothing more to say and no more excuses to make. In the end the big man shrunk and it was a sad picture. In the long run style never trumps substance. What was inevitable became fruition.

Does Whaley understand this makes Buffalo look very unattractive to the top HC candidates? He just made his HC search 10X harder.

@PatsFanNH, no, he doesn't understand that. Whaley was asked something to that effect in his presser, and he responded to the effect that he had confidence his reputation in league circles (not in the press) was good and that wouldn't be a problem.

We'll see.

Why would he have to make the comments under duress? Please point me to an organization where a manager inserts his personal views that are counter to the company line.

It's very plausible that Whaley wasn't all in on the Rex hire. But nobody should expect him to say that publicly, then or now.

As for Hue Jackson, the jury is still out.

This.

Whatever Whaley thinks, he has made it clear he is a company man, and he will speak the company line. He is not going to criticize the Pegulas or second-guess "Bills" decisions in public, now or ever.

I expect that it's true Rex wasn't Whaley's first choice. Hiring Rex went against everything Whaley was quoted as saying during the search: that he wanted someone who would keep the defense intact, for example.

I also expect it's true that Whaley supported the decision to hire Rex in the end. Among other things, Rex is a fairly effective grifter as a football guy. Once Rex decided he wanted the job, it would be pretty easy for him to figure out what Whaley wanted to hear and to say those things - stuff about being a football guy not a scheme guy, making his scheme fit the players, just give me good football players.

Except that once Rex moved into OBD, it must have become clear pretty quickly that Rex wasn't walking his talk.

Rex was relieved and glad to be gone. The talkative HC was again facing failure and besieged with criticism. His reputation as a defensive guru was besmirched. The more he tried to fix his side of the ball the more it faltered.

Rex had one of the largest coaching staffs in the league because he didn't want to get into the nitty-gritty of coaching any longer. He was so disengaged with his roster that he wasn't even aware that Clay was not going to make the Oakland trip due to his wife's pregnancy.

Rex loved the spot light at the podium. At the end the lights were on a man who had nothing more to say and no more excuses to make. In the end the big man shrunk and it was a sad picture. In the long run style never trumps substance. What was inevitable became fruition.

As a former Rex supporter, his demise has certainly been disappointing, but utterly predictable.

I was happy with the hire, but started cringing when he gave the dog biscuit to Pegula and proclaimed that Pegula is a great man because he had the guts to hire Rex. It went nowhere but downhill from there.

Denver, LA, SD are what make Buffalo less attractive to the top HC candidates, not the Terry and Kim Show.

That is also true! But come on the GM doesn't have a clue his HC was being fired or why. That's a red flag to a coach of say. Coughlins level.

As a former Rex supporter, his demise has certainly been disappointing, but utterly predictable.

I was happy with the hire, but started cringing when he gave the dog biscuit to Pegula and proclaimed that Pegula is a great man because he had the guts to hire Rex. It went nowhere but downhill from there.

I was never happy with the Rex hire but I don't take much comfort with his failure and departure. The Rex we hired is the same Rex we fired except that he was less motivated with us. The Pegulas made a terrible mistake with his hiring and it was an inexcusable mistake. Rex had a failed record in NY that revealed all his faults and out-dated views on the NFL of today. The new owners became enamored with the lively personality instead of the substance of his abilities and performances.

The page is now turned. Let's hope for the better.

whaley provided his thoughts on all things football throughout the year to pegula, and pegula knew rex wasn't Whaley's first choice to begin with. Pegula knew where Whaley stood on the decision. Rex reported to pegula because he wanted it that way. When Rex wanted an answer about his future, pegula obliged.

If you want to paint pegula as meddling, that was done when he chose Rex in the first place. This is acknowledging he was wrong, and he's letting Whaley chose this time. Unless the new coach grabs Kim's ass, pegula will hire Whaley's choice.

Finally the correct answer that outlines the nuances actually involved here. These nuances seem to escape the pitchfork-toting media either because it's a less compelling story than asking Whaley what he does for a living, or because they are just obtuse. Thank you.

Remember when Rex and Doug were "finishing each other's sentences"?

I honestly think Whaley was fine with Rex. He did go get Rex everyone he wanted. He got him his QB. He got Richie for Rex. He signed whoever Rex wanted.

In the end, I think Terry made the decision and Whaley just has to live with it. As a Rex supporter I admit that Rex did deserve to be fired, so there's no real controversy there.

Whaley has undermined back-to-back head coaches, and received a pass from ownership, the media, and the fans. However, the media has become more and more aware of Whaley's snake-like connivance, and that's why they pilloried him at the presser. Mad that Rex was fired?! Whaley spent the last year orchestrating the damn thing.

This is the only thing I could come up with as to why he played dumb about how and why Rex got fired. Maybe he didn't want to get into his real feelings on the Pegulas decision because he disagreed with it. This is based on Whaley saying he had no input on the decision to fire Rex, declaring he wasn't even consulted with on the decision, and making sure everyone knew it was Terry's move. At no time did he say he agreed with the decision only that "I have a boss like everybody else".

I actually think the opposite, I believe the reason Whaley played the dumb card is because he was ecstatic the Rex was fired. Whaley makes a highly controversial move to trade up for Sammy Watkins and then wants a "ground and pound" coach shortly after? I don't think he wanted Rex for a second, but didn't have much say in the matter, which is why he's making it known it's his coaching search and decision this time around.

I actually think the opposite, I believe the reason Whaley played the dumb card is because he was ecstatic the Rex was fired. Whaley makes a highly controversial move to trade up for Sammy Watkins and then wants a "ground and pound" coach shortly after? I don't think he wanted Rex for a second, but didn't have much say in the matter, which is why he's making it known it's his coaching search and decision this time around.

This is the best speculation that I've seen on the topic and makes the most sense. Saying nothing about Rex after he's fired puts him in the best position for whoever comes in to replace him. He doesn't want to be perceived as the guy that will throw coaches under the bus. If this is correct, it's well thought out.

I don't think Whaley cared one bit about Rex. I don't think he particularly cared to dwell on the decision made once it had been made without him either. I think he's a guy who realizes that's what's done is done and there is no use wasting time having feelings about it. Much better just to move on and do your job.

This imbroglio and many other OBD decisions appear to illustrate the depths to which the organization has sunk. The next problem is that there doesn't seem to be anyone to lead the company out of the depths. C'mon, a GM that has neither input nor knowledge of major decisions.....

An organization that doesn't manage their external messaging effectively is not necessarily an organization that doesn't function well internally. They're two different things requiring different skill sets.

Just because Whaley fumbled an interview doesn't mean that he doesn't have a good group of scouts who do excellent work. Or that Whaley will screw up the coaching search, for example.