Doug Whaley angry that Rex got fired?

This is the only thing I could come up with as to why he played dumb about how and why Rex got fired. Maybe he didn't want to get into his real feelings on the Pegulas decision because he disagreed with it. This is based on Whaley saying he had no input on the decision to fire Rex, declaring he wasn't even consulted with on the decision, and making sure everyone knew it was Terry's move. At no time did he say he agreed with the decision only that "I have a boss like everybody else".

Edited by Estelle Getty

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not angry that Rex got fired!

Just angry that nobody had told him that Rex had been fired or that they were going to fire him.

Apparently, Whaley wasn't involved in that decision which seems so very odd because every other team in the NFL (even the Cowboys because the owner is the GM) allows their General manager to hire and fire the head coaches.

On another note from PFT. "It also seems that ownership may have disregarded Whaley’s position on hiring Ryan two years ago, especially since Whaley responded to a question regarding his recommendation on hiring Ryan by saying, “I will not get into that.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/02/doug-whaley-creates-impression-he-has-little-power-or-influence/

Then Terry Pegula decided to speak, http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/02/terry-pegula-insists-theres-no-dysfunction-with-the-bills/

What a dysfunctional mess!

I read it this way:

Rex forced the issue when he spoke to pegula in private. Pegula was decided that he would move on from Rex already and let Rex know man-to-man when Rex raised the question. Had Rex not forced th issue, the decision would've been made this week and Whaley would've been in the middle of the conversation. If Rex was Whaley's guy, then he might've tried to talk to pegula about the decision. Not questioning means he was 100% in favor of it.

Given how it played out, Whaley could say he was not privy to the conversation, and he hadn't really thought about the firing, rather he simply moved on and didn't question the move.

This imbroglio and many other OBD decisions appear to illustrate the depths to which the organization has sunk. The next problem is that there doesn't seem to be anyone to lead the company out of the depths. C'mon, a GM that has neither input nor knowledge of major decisions.....

I read it this way:

Rex forced the issue when he spoke to pegula in private. Pegula was decided that he would move on from Rex already and let Rex know man-to-man when Rex raised the question. Had Rex not forced th issue, the decision would've been made this week and Whaley would've been in the middle of the conversation. If Rex was Whaley's guy, then he might've tried to talk to pegula about the decision. Not questioning means he was 100% in favor of it.

Given how it played out, Whaley could say he was not privy to the conversation, and he hadn't really thought about the firing, rather he simply moved on and didn't question the move.

So, what you are saying is that Terry Pegula has become another Jerry Jones only without ever having the benefit of Jimmy Johnson to win a super bowl or Bill Parcells to help guide him as GM.

Why not just fire Whaley and announce Terry Pegula will be the new teams GM?

So, what you are saying is that Terry Pegula has become another Jerry Jones only without ever having the benefit of Jimmy Johnson to win a super bowl or Bill Parcells to help guide him as GM.

Why not just fire Whaley and announce Terry Pegula will be the new teams GM?

whaley provided his thoughts on all things football throughout the year to pegula, and pegula knew rex wasn't Whaley's first choice to begin with. Pegula knew where Whaley stood on the decision. Rex reported to pegula because he wanted it that way. When Rex wanted an answer about his future, pegula obliged.

If you want to paint pegula as meddling, that was done when he chose Rex in the first place. This is acknowledging he was wrong, and he's letting Whaley chose this time. Unless the new coach grabs Kim's ass, pegula will hire Whaley's choice.

I read it this way:

I thought it was obvious, but why get in the way of TBN crying session?

Why does nobody cate that the Clemson game was more important to Rex?

Edited by GG

whaley provided his thoughts on all things football throughout the year to pegula, and pegula knew rex wasn't Whaley's first choice to begin with. Pegula knew where Whaley stood on the decision. Rex reported to pegula because he wanted it that way. When Rex wanted an answer about his future, pegula obliged.

If you want to paint pegula as meddling, that was done when he chose Rex in the first place. This is acknowledging he was wrong, and he's letting Whaley chose this time. Unless the new coach grabs Kim's ass, pegula will hire Whaley's choice.

Read this and end the thread.

I thought it was obvious, but why get in the way of TBN crying session?

Why does nobody cate that the Clemson game was more important to Rex?

Because Rex has already been fired. Not much more you can do to him. All that's left is to go after the people who thought hiring him was a good idea.

This isn't true.

Does Whaley understand this makes Buffalo look very unattractive to the top HC candidates? He just made his HC search 10X harder.

Denver, LA, SD are what make Buffalo less attractive to the top HC candidates, not the Terry and Kim Show.

This is the only thing I could come up with as to why he played dumb about how and why Rex got fired. Maybe he didn't want to get into his real feelings on the Pegulas decision because he disagreed with it. This is based on Whaley saying he had no input on the decision to fire Rex, declaring he wasn't even consulted with on the decision, and making sure everyone knew it was Terry's move. At no time did he say he agreed with the decision only that "I have a boss like everybody else".

I didn't get that at all. On the contrary. He answered the question truthfully. He did not do the firing and was not involved in the one on one between Rex and Pegula. Can't get much more straight forward than that. He found out from his boss and is acting accordingly. Nothing go on behind the curtain. No hidden meanings.