Doug Whaley angry that Rex got fired?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the only thing I could come up with as to why he played dumb about how and why Rex got fired. Maybe he didn't want to get into his real feelings on the Pegulas decision because he disagreed with it. This is based on Whaley saying he had no input on the decision to fire Rex, declaring he wasn't even consulted with on the decision, and making sure everyone knew it was Terry's move. At no time did he say he agreed with the decision only that "I have a boss like everybody else".

ummm. no.

jw

Denver, LA, SD are what make Buffalo less attractive to the top HC candidates, not the Terry and Kim Show.

Denver and SD yes. LA not so much unless it's about location.

And was Whaley not told about the decision beforehand, or was he just wasn't consulted about it?

Edited by Doc

Whaley has undermined back-to-back head coaches, and received a pass from ownership, the media, and the fans. However, the media has become more and more aware of Whaley's snake-like connivance, and that's why they pilloried him at the presser. Mad that Rex was fired?! Whaley spent the last year orchestrating the damn thing.

Conjecture sir! I've read accounts here that suggest the opposite. Someone recently started a post about how Whaley overcame a coup engineered by Rex, and there are accounts that in Marrone's meeting with the Pegulas he demanded more control including personnel. We'll never know for sure, but it's probably somewhere between the two extremes.

Not angry that Rex got fired!

Just angry that nobody had told him that Rex had been fired or that they were going to fire him.

Apparently, Whaley wasn't involved in that decision which seems so very odd because every other team in the NFL (even the Cowboys because the owner is the GM) allows their General manager to hire and fire the head coaches.

On another note from PFT. "It also seems that ownership may have disregarded Whaley’s position on hiring Ryan two years ago, especially since Whaley responded to a question regarding his recommendation on hiring Ryan by saying, “I will not get into that.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/02/doug-whaley-creates-impression-he-has-little-power-or-influence/

Then Terry Pegula decided to speak, http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/02/terry-pegula-insists-theres-no-dysfunction-with-the-bills/

What a dysfunctional mess!

Or he knew but was taking the bullet for Terry.

That is also true! But come on the GM doesn't have a clue his HC was being fired or why. That's a red flag to a coach of say. Coughlins level.

Not surprising given the power structure which existed just a couple of weeks back. I would expect any HC candidate to ask Whaley and Pegula if the future structure is different and what communication lines will exist between the three. If I was such a candidate, I want full clarity on how the organization will work and who influences what. I would also want to know how the personnel side of things will work. The interview should be as much the candidate asking questions as Whaley/Pegulas.

I read it this way:

Rex forced the issue when he spoke to pegula in private. Pegula was decided that he would move on from Rex already and let Rex know man-to-man when Rex raised the question. Had Rex not forced th issue, the decision would've been made this week and Whaley would've been in the middle of the conversation. If Rex was Whaley's guy, then he might've tried to talk to pegula about the decision. Not questioning means he was 100% in favor of it.

Given how it played out, Whaley could say he was not privy to the conversation, and he hadn't really thought about the firing, rather he simply moved on and didn't question the move.

None of the bolded parts make any sense. Rex didn't "force" anything.

Pegula had already decided to fire Rex and was going to wait until the season was over....but when Rex asked him directly what his future was with this team, Pegula suddenly blurted out "OK, OK!....you're fired already. I was going to wait, but YOU HAVE FORCED MY HAND RIGHT HERE BY ASKING ME THIS QUESTION!!"

Yeah, that make sense. The best part is that the GM "hadn't really thought about the firing"! How dumb do you make Whaley out to be? I mean, you don't really think that Rex's firing never crossed his mind( as he claims)...do you?

None of the bolded parts make any sense. Rex didn't "force" anything.

Pegula had already decided to fire Rex and was going to wait until the season was over....but when Rex asked him directly what his future was with this team, Pegula suddenly blurted out "OK, OK!....you're fired already. I was going to wait, but YOU HAVE FORCED MY HAND RIGHT HERE BY ASKING ME THIS QUESTION!!"

Yeah, that make sense. The best part is that the GM "hadn't really thought about the firing"! How dumb do you make Whaley out to be? I mean, you don't really think that Rex's firing never crossed his mind( as he claims)...do you?

Makes perfect sense. Did you not read the interview with Wawrow? Rex wanted an answer, and Pegula gave him his answer. Had they waited until the end of the season, then there would've been a full evaluation, including Whaley, before the decision was made public which would'be happened sometime this week.

This is the only thing I could come up with as to why he played dumb about how and why Rex got fired. Maybe he didn't want to get into his real feelings on the Pegulas decision because he disagreed with it. This is based on Whaley saying he had no input on the decision to fire Rex, declaring he wasn't even consulted with on the decision, and making sure everyone knew it was Terry's move. At no time did he say he agreed with the decision only that "I have a boss like everybody else".

This is the problem with a command structure that involves your HC reporting directly to an Owner, and not the GM. It is absurd to have the Coach thinking he is equal to the GM. According to Whaley, Rex asked to speak to the TP privately.

Denver and SD yes. LA not so much unless it's about location.

And was Whaley not told about the decision beforehand, or was he just wasn't consulted about it?

Interpreting his press conference at face value, Both.

It strains credulity that Whaley would not know that Pegula was dissatisfied with the team's on field performance or Rex's performance, though it is possible he expected to discuss fire/not fire at the end of the year.

Unless Pegula is a meddling boss who expects robotic peon subordinates, the most probable reason he would not seek Whaley's input about Rex's performance before making an "executive decision" to fire Rex, would be because he believed he already had it - probably not in the form of "you should fire Rex", but in the form of input on team and coaching performance during the games and each week.

This is the problem with a command structure that involves your HC reporting directly to an Owner, and not the GM. It is absurd to have the Coach thinking he is equal to the GM. According to Whaley, Rex asked to speak to the TP privately.

There are GMs in the league where the GM is subordinate to the coach, where the coach and GM are co-equal, and where the coach reports to the GM. All have produced success. The latter may be more common, but some of the most successful teams in the league use the 1st 2 structures

Most organizations have an "open door policy" where anyone in the organization may request a 1:1 meeting with higher management for any reason, and certainly there's nothing out of the way in Rex asking to speak privately to his boss.

I read it this way:

Rex forced the issue when he spoke to pegula in private. Pegula was decided that he would move on from Rex already and let Rex know man-to-man when Rex raised the question. Had Rex not forced th issue, the decision would've been made this week and Whaley would've been in the middle of the conversation. If Rex was Whaley's guy, then he might've tried to talk to pegula about the decision. Not questioning means he was 100% in favor of it.

Given how it played out, Whaley could say he was not privy to the conversation, and he hadn't really thought about the firing, rather he simply moved on and didn't question the move.

This x 1000