And with that....EJ rides off into the sunset

I don't think the organization made a mistake by picking EJ. In a weak draft for QB's, taking the one with the highest upside is not a bad way to go. The mistake was putting the team in a position where they almost had to take a QB in round one.

My fear is that they haven't learned from this and end up putting the team in the same position this year.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember seeing EJ's Sports Science segment and thinking we got a steal in the draft. And up until his injury against the Browns his rookie year, he seemed on a decent progression trajectory to my untrained eyes. But he was never the same. Overly hesitant. Basically Trent Edwards jr.

End of an error

Yep, This.

What I don't understand is all the people clamoring for tar and pitchforks because the GM made a mistake because EJ didn't work out.

The problem is the opposite: we HAD to draft a QB in EJ's year, because in previous years our GM (Nix) was so afraid of making a QB mistake that he refused to pull the trigger. Most QB who are drafted don't make it in the NFL. The problem isn't that our GM made a mistake about drafting EJ as a QB, the problem is that our GMs haven't made enough mistakes drafting QB (because you gotta make some mistakes to succeed).

I still think his development was totally screwed by us. One of those guys that if he were drafted by the right team, might have turned out solid.... now he'll be lucky to be a backup somewhere.

I personally like the guy and all but let's be clear here, EJ simply isn't a good QB, period!

Yep, This.

What I don't understand is all the people clamoring for tar and pitchforks because the GM made a mistake because EJ didn't work out.

The problem is the opposite: we HAD to draft a QB in EJ's year, because in previous years our GM (Nix) was so afraid of making a QB mistake that he refused to pull the trigger. Most QB who are drafted don't make it in the NFL. The problem isn't that our GM made a mistake about drafting EJ as a QB, the problem is that our GMs haven't made enough mistakes drafting QB (because you gotta make some mistakes to succeed).

Whaley has made a total mess of the QB position on this team since he got here.

The only semi-bright spot during the entire time is Tyrod, who was brought in by Rex Ryan.

Had Rex never signed here, neither would have Tyrod.

Whaley's days are numbered. It's OK.

The college game was too fast for him. Ask any Florida State fan. That's why they dumbed down the offense for him.

He seemed like a nice guy. It's where he was picked then forced down a coaches throat by a GM in way over his head that did him in.

Second rate (at best) QB coaching did not help. In fact IIRC he had no QB coach his first year? He was set up to fail from day one.

Actually Nate Hackett was doing that......that year

Why do people say stuff like this?

He's 26 years old, seems to live a modest lifestyle, and his contract guaranteed him $8.8M. Unless he's invested like fool or been defrauded, he won't be working as a bag boy anywhere.

I recall he did some fancy thing like forming a corp, and selling shares in his future income stream. He did this ala Robert Griffin III Not sure how that is coming out for EJ........but could not be good for those who bought the shares.

Yep, This.

Much truth in this. I believe even the Pats draft more QBs than the Bills.

I do think it's hard to have two developmental QBs on the team at the same time (we have Cardale), but I also think the Bills should have drafted many more QBs since Kelly retired than we have. Even at the considerable risk of wasting draft picks on QBs who don't work out like EJ.

Seeing EJ under centre again yesterday after a lengthy absence brought back real life images of receivers shaking their heads in disbelief after every passing attempt. I had actually forgotten (or maybe repressed that). Maybe I was actually asleep dreaming a horrible nightmare but I thought I saw speech baloons over Watkins, Woods and Clay saying "WTF - where is that ball going?!?!!!"